Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
The fact that all of these alternative sites exists is good news. But to have great news, we need one to rise to the top and be the dominant player that audiogon was. In it's hay day, audiogon had more stuff to buy than probably everyone else lumped together. To be that effective now, I would need to advertise what ever it is I want to sell on multiple sites, keep each of them updated as I change a price, etc.

I'm still convinced if one of the sites listed above was willing to invest the $ to advertise all over the web and, (for a while) offer some incentives to advertise there, they could take over the business.

Maybe in a separate thread, I would love for someone to explain to me (and others) what has happened at agon. I know they were bought and web site was changed, but they seem to have implemented a "let's see how fast we can screw our customers, provide crappy service and pi$$ everyone off" attitude. Do they really believe that they can continue operating in this mode and not go out of business?

Who are the new owners and what is their background? Audiogon, for all practical purposes, ran a monopoly that 90+% of their customers were very satisfied with and their business seemed to be growing. Why would anyone want to mess that with that kind of a model?

I just don't understand.

vinylsound

Feb 21, 2013
Virginia
Great job Henrik! Thanks from all of us :)

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Useful tool. Thanks !

PAF

Jan 8, 2013
Unfortunately, the decline of Audiogon is a major blow and, while this effort to list alternatives is welcomed and very useful, I don't think these other US sites listed here measure up just yet.

The standard for a classified ad site couldn't be simpler - or harder. Do things sell at the correct market price? Nobody knowledgeable with good audiophile equipment puts it on Craig's list because it remains a bargain basement shoppers site. The good stuff was all on Audiogon. That's where that weird human sub-species, known as audiophiles, went to shop. McIntosh was the one exception - it always worked better on eBay. I think the reason is obvious: MAC gear is "collectible," but it's not considered "audiophile" by many, though that is changing.

In the early days, many of us sold millions of dollars of equipment there. That's not an exaggeration. Qualified audiophiles were all over the site looking for gear to buy.

But the new owners ruined the site not by slightly increasing fees (a good rule of thumb for the performance of classified sites is cost to advertise - if it's free, don't expect sales results), which I find perfectly reasonable compared to the 13% gouging eBay now inflicts (another ruined site), but by making placing ads incredibly difficult and at times impossible for weeks and weeks during the ownership transition.

To this day, the site is difficult to navigate compared to the old site. Yes, the old site was incredibly simplistic and hokey. But it WORKED well. The new site is an pseudo professional graphic designer's idea of what a modern website should look like. I can't tell you what a relief it is to my eyes to leave the new site and go to pages that still remain in the old format - the Audiogon Blue Book pages for example, lame typeface, old-fashioned colors, and all. There is a clarity that is simply absent from the new site.

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Audiogon makes a lot more money even with fewer users because of all the ads cluttering the sites pages. My educated guess is that it's still the best game in town in the U.S.. Shame. But hopefully, not for long. We deserve better.

James63

Aug 7, 2013
This site should start a classified listing like audiogon. Why not? The there is enough following here.

Arfa

Jan 7, 2014
Another site that's worth noting is www.hifihunter.com/us. Another big search engine covering lots of second hand sites across the globe.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

rl1856

Jan 27, 2014
Thank you for posting the master list. I have found HiFi Shark to be very useful in looking for equipment.

Just a data point to add based upon recent experience:

Over the summer, I listed about a dozen sets of cables on several sites....Audio Asylum, Agon, AudioMart US, HeadFi, and Ebay.

Prices, descriptions, pictures were the same for all listings.

Selection varied from mid 3 figure (used value) to less than $50 (used).

1 sale from HeadFi
1 sale from AudioMart
10 sales from EBAY
-0- sales from Agon and Audio Asylum

This experiment mirrored my previous experiences- If I want to sell something, Ebay is the most efficient mechanism. In the past I have sold everything from vintage tube, to high end SS. Ebay sales have consistently been the quickest to consumate and most profitable for me. That said, paying them 13% does bother me...

Again, just my experience and another data point to add.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I sold a bunch of stuff on headfi. It's hangout for me too . They get millions of hits a day there. And there are people like me that have speaker rigs and use headphones and iem,s as well.

Al

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I guess everybody knows this one, its based in germany it charges 4 euros to list a product for 2 months ,and non for the buyer .
I had good expirience with it , www.audiomarkt.de

I too have bought a number of things on Audiomarkt.de over the last two or three years with no problems at all - France, Germany and the Netherlands.

merrillaudio

My experience is that Audiogon the high end items sell faster. I am looking for alternatives, so always posting elsewhere.

USAudiomart is quite good and usually sells if you wait long enough (before you die, :)) it typically sells. It isn't that long but it seems like it when you are selling something. There are no fees, so that is worth the wait for the higher end items.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
That's true. But Audiogon is also a magnet for fraud related to the big ticket items. For example, I wouldn't take anything but a wire for international shipment. The buyer agreed. Then he falsely claimed I didn't give him the correct routing number so I have to accept a money order instead. Audiogon won't do anything because they don't approve of wires due to "fraudulent activity." I am pretty sure the buyer just wants to kite a check and steal the gear. I warned Audiogon about this. They don't care. I hope nobody gets their gear stolen from a check kiting scheme on Audiogon. But if they do, they should sue Audiogon. Audiogon tries to force folks into using forms of payment like money order or cashiers checks. Most people think certified funds are good money. But they are not. Only a wire is good money on international deals.

My experience is that Audiogon the high end items sell faster. I am looking for alternatives, so always posting elsewhere.

USAudiomart is quite good and usually sells if you wait long enough (before you die, :)) it typically sells. It isn't that long but it seems like it when you are selling something. There are no fees, so that is worth the wait for the higher end items.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Agreed. I never accept other ways of payment than bank wire transfer on anything over $1000.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Agreed. I never accept other ways of payment than bank wire transfer on anything over $1000.
The problem is that if you use a wire and the deal goes bad, Audiogon will not enter into dispute resolution. This is what they told me in an email:
"We do not authorize or condone wire transfer as a payment method due to the high rate of fraudulent activity with this. Please use an approved payment method in order to be eligible for Audiogon's dispute resolution assistance."

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Stop - wire transfers can be compromised.

STOP - WIRE TRANSFERS CAN BE COMPROMISED.
Do NOT assume that once the wire is in your account that you are free & clear. There is a lot of dirt in bank policies [fine print] that can come back to haunt.

If I was to accept a large "wire" transfer I would:
#1 Have it enter an account that had minimal money, and I had no other accounts at that bank.
#2 I would get in >>>writing<<< from a bank officer that the money had CLEARED.
#3 I would then take the amount of "wired" money in GREEN [multi-color with strips] CASH and go to an unrelated bank to deposit [or give it to my wife :D].
#4 Only then would I ship.

It is HELL out there,
zz.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
IRS Big money cashed @ bank:
I would not have a problem taking $20K CASH out of a bank.
>>>>> IF <<<<<<
I was to immediately go to an unrelated bank & deposit the $20K CASH.
Very Easy explanation to those "higher ? authorities".

zz.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I tried that once. I had a big Pharmacist client that got into a pinch. I took $20,000 cash out of my trust account so I could post his bond. I posted the bond and re-deposited the leftover proceeds back into the account. My bank was pissed off at me for requesting such a large amount of cash. I got an IRS cash audit a few months later. Of course, I did nothing wrong and the IRS cleared me but it wasn't pleasant to deal with that crap. I will never do that again.

You are correct that wires can be reversed after the fact. But that's usually only the case where law enforcement gets involved and YOUR BANK must agree with the wiring bank to reverse the transaction. That's a pretty rare situation, IMO. It's a much safer form of payment that an international money order from a guy that has limited feedback on audiogon. There are only degrees of safety. There's no perfect form of payment.

Michael.

IRS Big money cashed @ bank:
I would not have a problem taking $20K CASH out of a bank.
>>>>> IF <<<<<<
I was to immediately go to an unrelated bank & deposit the $20K CASH.
Very Easy explanation to those "higher ? authorities".

zz.

Members online

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing