Mr. Measurement reviews the XP-30

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
No surprise, the preamp measures spectacularly according to JA in the April Stereophile issue. Says it's sounds every bit as good as the Ayre.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
No surprise, the preamp measures spectacularly according to JA in the April Stereophile issue. Says it's sounds every bit as good as the Ayre.

Which Ayre did he compare it to?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It will be interesting to see what level of improvement the XS Pre will deliver for twice the price....hmmmm

Twice the price? Will it mean twice more distortion and twice more sound quality? :)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
It's more, like $18k I believe.

Wow. I haven't kept up with Ayre prices and didn't know they had a more expensive preamp than Pass Labs.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
only as good as the ayre...?

i am quite disappointed to hear that the xp30 is only as good as the 1-box ayre.
this thing is a 3-box unit...!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
of course his comparo was from a distant memory from a 2008 review. Head to head today, who knows what sounds better. They are both completely different designs. All things held constant, a multi box solution should be better.

Because?

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
It is fact that keeping the power supply in a separate unit away from the analog gain stages is preferable from a noise standpoint/distortion standpoint than a single box unit containing both.

Is that what the spectacular measurements referred to in the opening post of this thread say? Because if it is a fact, and if it is about noise, it should be clearly measurable and demonstrable.

Tim

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
It is fact that keeping the power supply in a separate unit away from the analog gain stages is preferable from a noise standpoint/distortion standpoint than a single box unit containing both.

I don't see that this follows - perhaps I'm missing something. Seems to ignore the fact that when a power supply is separate it needs cabling to connect it to the gain stages, and that cabling is unavoidably prone to noise pickup. Also having higher series impedance in the power supply (due to more copper in between source and sink) means its regulation is less good. If the power supply radiates magnetic flux then I might be able to buy it, but then that's only an argument for a distant transformer, not for the whole PSU in a separate container.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
A power supply is intrinsically a source of noise. Many of its components radiate noise, coming from the mains or due to their operation - the mains filter, the transformer, the rectification diodes. Surely designers prepare their circuits to reject this noise, putting filters and creating circuits that attenuate noise that manages to arrive at the amplification sections. However if the power supply is separated, the noise levels can be much lower and a much broader range of circuits can be considered for amplification, may be some of them sounding better in the view of their designers, e.g. some single ended topologies. In electronic design everything has a price!

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Since the power supply is connected to the amplification stages its powering, its those power wires which are the primary means of conveying the noise a PSU generates into the circuitry it powers. Hence physical separation has more downsides than up, as I've already pointed out. Indeed its true that everything has a price - spending money on a separate box, additional cabling and connectors detracts from spending money where it can provide audible benefit.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Since the power supply is connected to the amplification stages its powering, its those power wires which are the primary means of conveying the noise a PSU generates into the circuitry it powers. Hence physical separation has more downsides than up, as I've already pointed out. Indeed its true that everything has a price - spending money on a separate box, additional cabling and connectors detracts from spending money where it can provide audible benefit.

Being the primary does not mean it is the unique. You can clean the noise from the wires, but at some point only the physical separation manages to reduce interference.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I had both the Ayre KX-R and the XP-30 at the same time for a few weeks.

The XP-30 is no slouch, but the KX-R is the best solid state preamp I have ever heard.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing