Marten Coltrane 2 V Rockport Altair 2

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Has anybody heard both the Marten Coltrane 2 and Rockport Altair 2 ? I am looking for feedback on how they fare , their perceived merits and shortcomings etc . I am running the Coltrane 2 currently , and happy with it . An easy load to drive , it is easily driven to high SPL's , even though my listening levels are more tempered . It's down firing port and adjustable bass settings, makes it easy to integrate with the room and more tolerant of close to the wall placements . I am interested in knowing how the Altair, being in the same retail neighbourhood stacks up in comparison. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and feedback .

Last edited:

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Has anybody heard both the Marten Coltrane 2 and Rockport Altair 2 ? I am looking for feedback on how they fare , their perceived merits and shortcomings etc . I am running the Coltrane 2 currently , and happy with it . An easy load to drive , it is easily driven to high SPL's , even though my listening levels are more tempered . It's down firing port and adjustable bass settings, makes it easy to integrate with the room and more tolerant of close to the wall placements . I am interested in knowing how the Altair, being in the same retail neighbourhood stacks up in comparison. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and feedback .

You have very nice speakers. April Music used them for demo of their DP1 and Ai700 amp at the last CES and the sound was super. it was closest to having high sensitive horns without the horns... If you haven't seen it, Jonathan Valin gave the set up the best in show for vocal...but I think it should been the best period.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
You have very nice speakers. April Music used them for demo of their DP1 and Ai700 amp at the last CES and the sound was super. it was closest to having high sensitive horns without the horns... If you haven't seen it, Jonathan Valin gave the set up the best in show for vocal...but I think it should been the best period.

Thanks , for the feedback . Yes I did come across JV's coverage , but coming from a fellow member means more to me . I am sure now to try and listen to these rather unassuming amps from April music .Cheers .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing