What I've Seen in the Vintage Amp Repair Business

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
It has been about a year now since I’ve opened the doors of my shop to the general public. In that year, I have seen an amazing range of different amplification devices. While about 70% of my work involves guitar amplifiers, I have also seen my share of audiophile equipment. Reel to reel decks, linear tracking turntables, amplifiers, preamplifiers, tuners, and integrated subwoofers.

Some of the so called highly respected vacuum tube amplifiers have been rather lackluster in performance. While the outside of the amplifier looks impressive the internals tell another story: sloppy wiring techniques, crosstalk, poor build quality. And you know the funny part? After I’m done fixing these amplifiers, the customers call me up and rave about how wonderful they sound! It doesn’t matter that the amplifier has about 0.7% harmonic distortion. Perhaps it’s some of these distortion products that add something indescribable to the music that is considered pleasing to some ears.

More tricky, is the art of getting the right guitar amplifier tone. In this arena, there are as many unique listening tastes as there are guitar playing styles and guitar players. Every player is looking for a different sound. And some amplifiers have a beautiful harmonic profile when driven at moderate levels, but become downright ugly when driven almost to the brink of clipping. Some are ugly all the way through the range, and usually this can be improved with changes in bias voltage on the output tubes.

I recently had a Bang and Olufsen BEOGram 8000 turntable in here with a customer stating speed problems. Indeed the speed was fluctuating every revolution of the turntable. I quickly discovered that the mechanism for speed control was a transparent tachometer disc attached to the motor spindle and through which an optical sensor counts the apertures in the disc. The problem is that the printing on the disc was dissolving and disintegrating in a few places around the circumference. Fortunately I found a gentleman in Denmark who was manufacturing high quality machined stainless steel discs to replace the plastic ones. I replaced it and that cured the speed problem. Of course, as I tested the turntable further, other problems became apparent: when the turntable was called and the play command was issued, the tone arm would not set down onto the record. After a 10 minute warmup, the tone arm worked as it should. There were also problems with consistency of locating the lead in groove on the record. These problems were traced to faulty solder connections on the main control printed circuit board. After having reflowed solder on about 50 or 60 connections, I reassembled the turntable and it works perfectly now.

Another interesting project that came across my bench was an antique German radio. This one was completely dead when it arrived. The only thing that worked was the tube filaments. There were about nine resisters which were either open or grossly out of tolerance, plus two leaky capacitors. I did a full alignment on the tuner section and got the audio working very nicely with under 1% harmonic distortion from antenna to loudspeaker. Using an RF spectrum analyzer attached to the output of the IF strip and the tracking generator driving the input of the IF strip, I was able to see a real time representation of the IF skirts, enabling me to stagger tune and the IF stages so that any linear audio response could be achieved from the ratio detector. There were many challenges including the fact that the schematic was in German and was not quite the right diagram for this particular radio. However, I drew upon my considerable knowledge of antique radios to troubleshoot various circuits which were not working. The end result was stunning: a radio with rather fine tone and multi band reception. Here it is being demonstrated in my shop:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4285734071525&comment_id=4064097

Recently, I had a high and vacuum tube amplifier in here which suffered open bias resisters, causing the KT88 output tubes on one side of the amplifier to overheat badly. The manufacturer was several hours late supplying this schematic, so I trouble shot it and repaired it without this schematic. When the manufacturer sent it, it turned out to be the wrong drawing anyway. But the customer was happy just the same.

I’m having a great deal of fun as I repair a diverse collection of audio gear for an even more diverse customer base which is growing every day. I still have a long way to go before I am fully booked, but the shop has made excellent progress in the past two months toward reaching that goal.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Good to know! You may well find customers here! I will keep you in mind!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The folks in your area are lucky to have you around Mark. Best part is that you're having fun. :)

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Great to know about your company, Mark.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Gotta luv something called a Spitzensuper!

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Nice. A couple of memories from my long-ago tech days:

1. A tractor radio came in with baling wire used to the speaker box. Farmer was working and accidentally cut the wires, and used what he had... Explained the concept of insulation and its advantages.

2. Guitar amp, one of the old two-speaker tube amps, with the output driven from either side of a center-tapped transformer in push-pull fashion. One speaker blows, so player disconnects it and ties both transformer wires to the same speaker (since he wanted it to play just as loud with just one speaker). Blown transformer (I hate that smell!), power supply, tubes, you name it. Explained shorting (+) and (-) outputs is undesirable. He understood the analogy when related to car batteries, then related tale of how he blew up a battery when trying to jump start and got the red/black backwords. At least he was consistent albeit a slow learner...

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Yeah, that M7 radio from Germany was quite a hoot. EL84 pair in the output stage, decent sized output transformer and 5 speakers make for an amazing sound for a 1950's radio. The oddity is that the FM band only covers 88-99Mhz during that era, so this radio has its limitations.

I've invested in somewhat overkill tools to do the jobs that I do, but that's my nature. In the prior 40 some-odd years of building, testing, troubleshooting and repairing audio and broadcast gear, I've relied upon just an oscilloscope and frequency counter and a 60+ year old Precision audio generator for my work. When some audiophile work came in last January and when a broadcaster friend cleaned out his cellar last February, I refurbished and sold a lot of broadcast gear and sunk the profits back into shop gear.

I consider it almost mandatory to analyze audio gear with both a distortion analyzer AND a spectrum analyzer. The SA tells me so much more about the character and sonic signature of an amplifier than just a %THD readout. And I made several important discoveries about how to tweak that sonic signature to reduce harshness and increase warmth of the vacuum tube amplifier's sound.

I have a number of repeat customers which come in about 1-2 times a month with various pieces of gear. One has a lot of Accuphase gear (I recently repaired a meter movement on a T105 that never worked because the manufacturer forgot to solder the lower spring to the armature, and got the meter working for the first time since he owned it), another brings in a few of his 80 or so guitar amps that he's collected over the years for me to refurbish and restore to full performance. Some of my customers bring in gear that they bought on eBay, for me to verify performance and do detailed cleanup and cosmetic restoration. I have one guitar amp in the shop this week that the customer is about to sell on eBay, so he wants to make sure that it is working properly and for me to clean up the pots.

At some point, I hope to max out at about 4-5 units per day, as I average about 2 hours per repair in most cases, with Japanese reel decks of the consumer level taking the longest and Fender guitar amps being the easiest and fastest to repair. I find the pro grade equipment easier to work on, simply because it is not crammed so tightly together and is not like a Chinese jigsaw puzzle. But that doesn't matter if a customer has a liking for a particular deck and is willing to pay the cost of a full restoration.

Many of my customers are in the medical, middle management and some are self-employed. You'd be amazed at the number of BMW 7 series and Toyota Priuses I've seen parked in my driveway in recent months. Many musicians have good 'day jobs' in well-paid professions. One is in middle management at IBM and is installing high end audio components in his office at work. He's bringing me an Accuphase P300 next week, for me to work my magic on, as I did with his P200 and T105 earlier.

Indeed, having a great time. And no commute, so I save gas and no longer waste 4-5 hours per day of my life sitting in traffic, as was the case with broadcast engineering. The closest radio station I have worked for in recent years was just over 90 miles from home!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I speak with love and no small amount of self-deprication when I say that guitar players are eccentric, difficult, obsessive tone snobs who believe in all kinds of unlikely magic. I wish you all the best in dealing with them. I just sold my old P2P wired Deluxe Reverb to the other guitar player in my band. He drives it pretty hard and it just sings like a bird. A big, aggressive, predatory bird. I love listening to him play it. It probably needs tubes, bias, who knows what else. But it still sounds like the hammer of the Gods. Tube amps are wonderful. God bless you for keeping them kicking.

tim

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- Mark, I sense happiness in your voice's tone, and I'm truly happy for you,
and for sharing this with us, thank you. :b ...I wish you the very best in your new goal.
It's a great enterprise.

* It's been a while, and hope you'll be posting some more around, here.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Aren't guitar players similar to a segment of the audiophile population? Many of the same characteristics.
Tubes are a familiar world that I am completely comfortable with, as I've worked with them for half a century. I always get a relaxed feeling when a nice VT amp comes in. Kind of a warm and fuzzy feeling, if you know what I mean. Even the more oblique VT amp problems are solveable. I have a Marshall DSL401 in the shop now, whose problem was loud popping when operating the volume knob, plus a continuous crunching or static noise that increases as the amp warms up. The pot was also controlling the bias. Marshall volume control advances the bias toward less negative with higher settings of the control. DC flowing through the pot, when encountering any irregularity in resistance change means big audio noises. Changed the pot and fixed that, along with several screen resistors that were burnt, but the other noise remained. Turned out to be one of four EL84s was producing the noise itself. So I have a new set of JJ EL84s on order for it. The kid is gonna love this amp when I'm done with it. He liked the tone when it was working, but the tubes were pretty well worn.

I'm amazed where some of the referrals are coming from. A customer of mine recently told me that a recording studio in NYC recommended me. I never had any contact (that I know of) with that recording studio, but their client list reads like a Who's Who in the Music Biz. Another client told me that Sam Ash Music recommended me to him. It's amazing. One of the big advantages today is there is almost no competition. A major antique radio restoration business in CT closed shop and the owner retired last year. The business is for sale for about half a million dollars. Mostly tube inventory! So I'm about all that's left of the people who know how to restore antique audio here in the northeast. My only advertizing is word of mouth. We are in the "MP3 Generation"--today's kids aren't interested in electronics. They go into other fields, and none of them know what a tube is. Forty years ago, the last time I tried to run an amp repair business, there were scores of repair shops competing with me. I had a few customers, but not enough back then. Today, the odds are very much in my favor.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
We are in the "MP3 Generation"--today's kids aren't interested in electronics. They go into other fields, and none of them know what a tube is.

Oh, not so fast! Many of them know exactly what a tube is, and in fact know two very good definitions:

1. Something inside a bike tire; or,
  2. Something used at a waterpark or snow slope.
So there! :D

Glad things are working out well for you Mark, and even more glad somebody is keeping the faith and still fixing the old gear. - Don

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Aren't guitar players similar to a segment of the audiophile population? Many of the same characteristics. ...

Oh ya they are. Take John Fogerty (C.C.R.) for example; his favorite amp (guitar amp) is a tube one, and an older one at that too.

Guitar players are indeed like audiophiles; they're in search for a "sound", the one that suits them.
...Be it solid-state or tube. ...Analog or digital. ...Noise or no noise. ...Distortion or distortion-less. ...But never truly free.

An electric guitar has a distinctive signature, and no two are truly alike. ...Pick-ups. ...Body. ...And soul.
...Same with a guitar amplifier, bass amplifier.
...Same for guitar pedals. ...Batteries operated, or AC plugged.
...And of course guitar's extensions (cords; wires, cables, plugs, ...).

The matching is also exactly like a sound system; some give you your "sound", what you're looking for, what you prefer. ...Some guitar electronics are a better match than others. ...Even the guitar pick is important; each guitar player has his own preference (brand and soft or medium or hard or medium/soft or medium/hard), and depending of the strings used on which guitar.

Guitar players are as complex as audiophiles. ...Looking for a "sound" is similar to looking for "thee woman".

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Oh ya they are. Take John Fogerty (C.C.R.) for example; his favorite amp (guitar amp) is a tube one, and an older one at that too.

Guitar players are indeed like audiophiles; they're in search for a "sound", the one that suits them.
...Be it solid-state or tube. ...Analog or digital. ...Noise or no noise. ...Distortion or distortion-less. ...But never truly free.

An electric guitar has a distinctive signature, and no two are truly alike. ...Pick-ups. ...Body. ...And soul.
...Same with a guitar amplifier, bass amplifier.
...Same for guitar pedals. ...Batteries operated, or AC plugged.
...And of course guitar's extensions (cords; wires, cables, plugs, ...).

The matching is also exactly like a sound system; some give you your "sound", what you're looking for, what you prefer. ...Some guitar electronics are a better match than others. ...Even the guitar pick is important; each guitar player has his own preference (brand and soft or medium or hard or medium/soft or medium/hard), and depending of the strings used on which guitar.

Guitar players are as complex as audiophiles. ...Looking for a "sound" is similar to looking for "thee woman".

+1. Bob you are so correct with this post.
I 'm using the Monster cable cords and they are a great improvement over the typical Belden cables. Most people would be surprised that even new strings and the type of strings can make a big difference in your sound!
Picks, don't get me going, LOL:D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Davey, I'm dead serious about guitar picks.
Right now I got four guitars, and hundreds of picks. ...All made; plastic, wood, metal, marble, ...
And they all have their own "sound". ...Different sizes too. ...Different holds as well.

I'm a musician; a guitar player among other instruments. ...Just ask any other guitar players.

* Some picks you can use for more sustain, some give you you a more rolling (tubing) sound, others a sharp attack, others a nice delay, and so on ....
Of course technique is also part of the process. ...Custom creativity.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Davey, I'm dead serious about guitar picks.
Right now I got four guitars, and hundreds of picks. ...All made; plastic, wood, metal, marble, ...
And they all have their own "sound". ...Different sizes too. ...Different holds as well.

I'm a musician; a guitar player among other instruments. ...Just ask any other guitar players.

* Some picks you can use for more sustain, some give you you a more rolling (tubing) sound, others a sharp attack, others a nice delay, and so on ....
Of course technique is also part of the process. ...Custom creativity.

Bob, I wasn't doubting you for a second regarding picks:)...I feel exactly the same way. When I was teaching guitar, I would always demonstrate to my student's the various sounds one could get with
different picks and how the different sizes could change the sound. These days, I am even concerned with the quality of the pots in my pedals. I recently swapped out a pot in my Vox wah pedal for a custom made pot...it was a very nice upgrade. Just like in audio, everything matters.:D

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
LOL, Don! Good one!

Pickups, tap points and how you phase them can completely change the sound you get. I remember toward the end of last summer, a musician brought in a guitar for me to rewire the mess that was left by another shop. He couldn't figure out what was wrong, but to my eye it was quite obvious. Within ten minutes I had the whole thing correctly rewired and he tried it into another customer's Fender Twin that was awaiting pickup, and was amazed by the sounds and VERY happy with the result. Even I was somewhat impressed with the variability of tones with just changing taps and flipping phase between two pickups.

I have been asked a number of times if I would consider designing my own line of guitar amps. I have some ideas for a new concept, based on a powerful, clean output stage and doing all the tone shaping on the low level stages. My intent is to design circuits with ample 2nd harmonic output. Just how to maximize that without introducing 3rd, 5th etc is where the engineering comes in.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
...Some of the so called highly respected vacuum tube amplifiers have been rather lackluster in performance. While the outside of the amplifier looks impressive the internals tell another story: sloppy wiring techniques, crosstalk, poor build quality. And you know the funny part? After I’m done fixing these amplifiers, the customers call me up and rave about how wonderful they sound! It doesn’t matter that the amplifier has about 0.7% harmonic distortion. Perhaps it’s some of these distortion products that add something indescribable to the music that is considered pleasing to some ears...

I know of one highly respected company who considers a variance of 40% to be a match when selecting tubes for its amplifiers. Everyone here knows of the company, and several members own products from them. The company makes extremely expensive equipment, and people pay a premium for those "matched" tubes.

Contrast this practice with QC from RCA's Pro Division back in the old days when each solder joint got a QC mark, all components for some amps were matched to 1/2%, and tubes were matched through an arduous selection process that took hours. That process started by an engineer ordering up 200 tubes from the tube division, noting mechanical differences until perfectly matched examples were found, and then making waveforms of each tube from that batch under real working conditions until a truly matched set was found with waveforms that overlapped. In the end, amps went out the door with tubes and internal components that were unquestionably correct. Unfortunately, we can't say that these days, but what maker has the funds to do what RCA could do when it was in its prime? TAD comes to mind as a 'maybe", but I am at a loss to think of any others.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I know of one highly respected company who considers a variance of 40% to be a match when selecting tubes for its amplifiers. Everyone here knows of the company, and several members own products from them. The company makes extremely expensive equipment, and people pay a premium for those "matched" tubes.
(...)

Mosin,
I have to confess my ignorance - I do not know of such company. I own Audio Research and Conrad Johnson equipment and typical matching of their tubes when matching is needed is around 5%. I just got a new ARC tube amplifier and measured all the new power tubes - they were matched within 2%.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing