Totally guilty pleasures

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS

Let me define what I mean: I'm talking about recordings/performers that you love dearly, and I mean LOVE, but that don't fit your usual listening repertoire, that don't necessarily mesh with your world-view, that wouldn't normally be associated with your normal, everyday persona. It has to be something that you listen to relatively often and enjoy more than words can describe.

For me, it's the Statler Brothers, especially in the car. The single-CD Greatest Hits package is a killer starter, in case anyone is interested. :D

Yours?

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
No-one else wants to admit to loving something as comical as the Statler Brothers? OK, I'm the only one.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Does Eminem count? I typically hate rap, and I would not want him to date my daughter, but I think artistically he is a genius and have all his albums.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Does Eminem count? I typically hate rap, and I would not want him to date my daughter, but I think artistically he is a genius and have all his albums.

My list is rather long ..Artist whose philosophy, lyrics are contrary to my way of thinking but I find myself just liking.. including the aforementioned Eminem :)
I also like and a lot The Notorious B.I.G. IMHO his album Ready to die is the best Hip Hop album of all time and to me a true masterpiece... once in a while a Snoop Dog (don't care about the person or his message but ..) . I find myself listening to Guns and Roses again in my car...not much at home ...
Just from an historical perspective.. Jazz was also frowned upon in the beginning... I don't honestly think that what commercial Hip-Hop has now become: a bass laden, misogynistic, bragging formulaic repetition with heavy marketing, focus group-derived tunes and heavy handed studio production will reach the height of jazz but the tendency to look down at hip-hop is a prejudice there is much more to hip-hop and rap than the noise made by its most famous entertainers. Hip-hop is anew direction in music. Music the world over has been influenced by hip-hop.. That includes what we would call "serious" music.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
My list is rather long ..Artist whose philosophy, lyrics are contrary to my way of thinking but I find myself just liking.. including the aforementioned Eminem :)
I also like and a lot The Notorious B.I.G. IMHO his album Ready to die is the best Hip Hop album of all time and to me a true masterpiece... once in a while a Snoop Dog (don't care about the person or his message but ..) . I find myself listening to Guns and Roses again in my car...not much at home ...
Just from an historical perspective.. Jazz was also frowned upon in the beginning... I don't honestly think that what commercial Hip-Hop has now become: a bass laden, misogynistic, bragging formulaic repetition with heavy marketing, focus group-derived tunes and heavy handed studio production will reach the height of jazz but the tendency to look down at hip-hop is a prejudice there is much more to hip-hop and rap than the noise made by its most famous entertainers. Hip-hop is anew direction in music. Music the world over has been influenced by hip-hop.. That includes what we would call "serious" music.

You have a higher tolerance for hip hop than me. I have not come across much I like except for Eminem. Unless of course "The miseducation of Lauryl Hill" qualifies as hip hop. Absolutely love that album. Still like the original rappers delight - sugerhill gang also...

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Abba - Dancing Queen.

That song just bring a smile to my face and it's one of the few times I actually sing out loud along with it. Just a very happy song!

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Give Talib Kweli's album "Reflection Eternal/Train of Thought" a chance .. Conscious rap .. A much different level... or Common's "Like Water or Chocolate" as for Artists that will delve into hip-hop but are not per se Hip-hop artists. I would recommend Jil Scott. Her album "Live in Paris" is a delight (well. most of her albums anyway), the tune "Golden" is worth the album all by itself... Good Introduction would be Who is Jil Scott ( first album?) .. Or maybe Erikah Badu , a good introduction to her craft is the "Live" album.

There are many others ... those leaped to mind

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
The Bee Gees "One Night Only"

I get bonus points because 'Islands In the Stream' is my favorite

Cameo "Alligator Women"

DeBarge "All This Love"

The original features a guitar solo by Jose Feliciano

I'm a big Herb Alpert fan!

Marty Robbins "El Paso"

Theme from "The Third Man", one of my favorite movies.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
On the slick pop music front, I admit to being a great fan of George Michael.

But Herp albert ..... C'mon. Still waiting for the first one to admit to linking Andrea Bocelli or Kenny G.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Back in the 80's I liked some of Cameo songs ( Back and OFrth, Word u a, Candy ,etc) A few months ago.. Revisited him ... God! What was I thinking?

I also like the El De BArge All this Love tune to be timeless ... is it worth the Album or would a $.99 iTune be enough?
:)

As for the Bee Geed Jazdoc .. You should be guilty :D

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
US3 - Cantaloupe
Uncle Kraker - Follow Me
My Shaggy SACD
Anything Q-Sound
Tone-Loc
Also... Cameo... Gap Band... Heatwave... Yarborough & Peoples... Mother's Finest... KC and the Sunshine Band...

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Hi

Back in the 80's I liked some of Cameo songs ( Back and OFrth, Word u a, Candy ,etc) A few months ago.. Revisited him ... God! What was I thinking?

I also like the El De BArge All this Love tune to be timeless ... is it worth the Album or would a $.99 iTune be enough?
:)

As for the Bee Geed Jazdoc .. You should be guilty :D

As to DeBarge...the $.99 iTune is enough, unless you are really into "Rhythm of the Night" :D

Funny thing about the Bee Gees, I detest the disco stuff, but man they were great songwriters. 'Massachusetts', 'Lonely Days', 'Tragedy', 'How Can You Mend A Broken Heart'...The 2x LP "Odessa" is still pretty amazing. Guilty as charged!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I'm a big Dwight Yoakam fan. And all roads to Dwight lead through a bunch of old Buck Owens albums.

Tim

mep

Apr 20, 2010
As to DeBarge...the $.99 iTune is enough, unless you are really into "Rhythm of the Night" :D

Funny thing about the Bee Gees, I detest the disco stuff, but man they were great songwriters. 'Massachusetts', 'Lonely Days', 'Tragedy', 'How Can You Mend A Broken Heart'...The 2x LP "Odessa" is still pretty amazing. Guilty as charged!

Mark-I agree with you that the early Bee Gees music was really good. You left out "I Started A Joke" which has a really cool drum/cymbal sound at the beginning of the song. And if you like the Bee Gees, you have to like the Hollies too.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I'm a big Dwight Yoakam fan. And all roads to Dwight lead through a bunch of old Buck Owens albums.

Tim

Dwight Yoakam is brilliant, not a guilty pleasure! Do you have last years "Three Pears"? Great LP

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Mark-I agree with you that the early Bee Gees music was really good. You left out "I Started A Joke" which has a really cool drum/cymbal sound at the beginning of the song. And if you like the Bee Gees, you have to like the Hollies too.

Bee Gees are all right. Both old stuff (I remember really liking "First of May"). But also the disco stuff, How can you not, growing up in the Disco - Staurday night fever - era. The Barry Gibb / Streisand (woman in love) duet is also priceless. Guilty!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
But Herp albert ..... C'mon. Still waiting for the first one to admit to linking Andrea Bocelli or Kenny G.

How can you not like this Herb Alpert:

I detest Kenny G but consider The Dead Kenny G's a guilty pleasure:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing