Axpona 2013 mini show report

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
You guys did a fabulous job with the CES recap. Peter, you have to take a whip to your producer and get your expert opinions out faster!

Yes, my producer is a real PIA. I look at him in the mirror and want to slap him around.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I'm on gag order :D Albert's son Damon played a huge part in designing this loudspeaker. It seems Albert and Dave have got their boys ready and able the same way Dan has.

Anybody know which Lamm amps were driving the TAD speakers at Axpona?

I'm fairly sure they were the hybrids, M 1.2 References.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks caesar! The show reports are coming in what feels like an eternity. Thank God you guys were there to keep us sane! :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Anybody know which Lamm amps were driving the TAD speakers at Axpona?

The LAMM amps were in the room, but not being used. I heard them driven by the Wells Audio amplifiers. Sounded good.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Innamorata? Heard good things about those amps. The lower priced Akasha is supposed to be good too.

caesar

May 30, 2010
The LAMM amps were in the room, but not being used. I heard them driven by the Wells Audio amplifiers. Sounded good.

The Innamorata Amplifiers were being used on Sunday. I have pictures with lights glowing on Lamms Friday and/ or Saturday.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
The Innamorata Amplifiers were being used on Sunday. I have pictures with lights glowing on Lamms Friday and/ or Saturday.

Caesar, the LAMMs were plugged in and powered on both Friday and Saturday, but not used. Definitely the Wells Audio amplufuers. Check your pictures and look at the speaker cables.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
While I'm at it, I want to talk a little about tables and arms. I looked at all of the Thorens tables on display, and they all reminded me of toys. Little toy turntables and little toy tonearms. There were several other tonearms that reminded me of the same thing whose names will go unmentioned. When you take a look at an arm like the Tri-Planar for instance, that is a serious tonearm and stands out as a night and day difference from the toys and bling that look like they lack any type of serious engineering and build quality.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Speaking of Tri-Planar, I have the green light to compare the std. arm with the new 12". Also Tri Mai the company's owner and engineer (pronounced "tree") gave us a great video report about the new arm. MEP is correct, it's no toy :)

Image 4.jpg

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Yeah. The SME tonearms mounted on the Thorens are like little toy tonearms.... but you have to remember that the Tri-Planar tonearm cost more than the Thorens turntable + tonearm. With complete packages starting at $499, I don't think that you're the target audience.

May be a $35,000 tonearm ;)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
You know Gary, I was surprised when I saw the SME IVi arm and I kind of thought the same thing. In fact, I can't look at any 9" tonearm the same way that I used to. When I look at my SME 312s arm, I see a very serious looking tonearm that I know has a lot of engineering behind it. Ditto for the Tri-Planar and the Kuzma 4P. Most of the 9" arms I look at look rinky-tinky by comparison.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Caesar, the LAMMs were plugged in and powered on both Friday and Saturday, but not used. Definitely the Wells Audio amplufuers. Check your pictures and look at the speaker cables.

Jonathan, I was told they were Lamms by either Jonathan Horwich himself or the gentleman from Artisan Fidelity. I guess we will never know for sure. But if it were Wells Audio, BIG KUDOS to them for creating a $6K or $7K amplifier sounding this well. A true bargain in high end audio.

I can only imagine how well this system would have sounded driven by your big Dartzeels.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Jonathan, I was told they were Lamms by either Jonathan Horwich himself or the gentleman from Artisan Fidelity. I guess we will never know for sure. But if it were Wells Audio, BIG KUDOS to them for creating a $6K or $7K amplifier sounding this well. A true bargain in high end audio.

I can only imagine how well this system would have sounded driven by your big Dartzeels.

Hi Caesar, I checked the wiring. I am sure it was the Wells Audio amps. The whole system sounded very good.

Even the little darTZeel :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Right now yes. :)

And the basement listening room with freight elevator beside it was really planned for those 11s to be transported down there someday. :) The 9s were just on a 'way-station'. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I always did like to plan ahead eh Phil? :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing