Axpona 2013 mini show report

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I just arrived home from the AXPONA show in Chicago. This show might just grow some legs as the turnout appeared to be very good. It was not as polished as RMAF, but that isn't a fair comparison as this was a first-time event and RMAF has had years to achieve that status it now enjoys. One other thing I noticed about AXPONA in comparison to RMAF was the number of women that attended AXPONA. RMAF s pretty much an old geezer show with some young nerds mixed in. AXPONA has all of the old geezers and nerds covered, but they had way more women in attendance and not all them looked like they were drug there under duress or the promise of some new bling from a jewelry store.

I didn't care for the Doubletree hotel as it was a bit run down and funky odors permeated the rooms and hallways. The HVAC system was so loud in some rooms that it was almost unbearable. Another trend at the show that I didn't like was the constant loud yammering in the rooms when you were trying to listen to music. Some of the conversations were so loud you really couldn't listen to the music. And some of this incessant chatter was coming from the exhibitors themselves. People seem to be better mannered at the RMAF.

Having personally been the victim of having an exhibitor ask me to give up my seat to a reviewer before, I saw the same thing play out at AXPONA. I was sitting in the Sonus Faber room which had a pair of their $35K speakers and two pairs of stacked subs powered by ARC Ref gear. I thought the system sounded really good. JV walks in and hands them an LP to play. One of the exhibitors went right to a guy who was sitting in the sweet spot and asked him to move so JV could take his seat. The LP that JV gave them to play was some retched Janis Joplin LP. As soon as the they unmuted the preamp, the Sonus Faber woofers starting pumping like crazy to the point the woofers were actually hitting the grill *strings.* The sound was so shrill it was killing my ears. JV was going on about how great it sounded. I wouldn't have played that LP for my dogs.

My vote for the best sound of the show definitely goes to the VS room. Jack, those speakers are incredible sounding and if yours actually sound better, it would be hard to conceive. The VS room also had extensive room treatment and it was a very large room. The only problem with the room was the constant yammering that I mentioned earlier. I came back several times to this room because I was so taken by the sound, but I wish I could have told everyone to shut the hell up.

Did I mention Gibson's Steak House? Oh my. It is attached to the Doubletree hotel and it serves nothing but the finest prime beef. My friend and I had dinner on Friday night with Myles and his girlfriend Heidi and the steaks were just incredible. My friend and I went back yesterday for lunch and I had a French Dip sandwich made with their prime beef and I can tell you that it was sublime.

Here are a few pictures:

DSC_0001.jpg DSC_0002.jpg DSC_0003.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    499.3 KB · Views: 711
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    510 KB · Views: 626
Last edited:

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
Thanks for the summary. Very little has been posted in the net about show impressions and gear thus far.

Too bad about the smell and HVAC noise. Does not really help the show and listening experience.

Thanks,
Mike

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I'm trying to post some more pictures, but it keeps giving me the red exclamation mark.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
So JV walks in and that poor chap is being asked to move? How completely insensitive and self-serving. Was JV on a schedule and his time planned to the minute whereby he couldn't wait? The rush of blood through his veins at the thought of his importance must have skewed his hearing of Janis' screaching. ;)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
John-I previously talked about last year at RMAF when I was with Myles in Ron Sutherland's room and he tossed me out of my chair so Myles could have the sweet spot. Noted reviewers are given preference over Joe Q. Public.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
:D

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Jack-As a VS dealer and owner, you should be smiling. Those speakers sounded awesome. The only thing that would have made it better is if your exhibitors and the visitors would have kept their mouths shut for a little while. Very, very special sound. My friend said there was simply no comparison between the sound of the VS room and all of the rest of the contenders. Coming from him, that was a big compliment.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Great to hear that Mark, I was worried about their last minute need to go with the 50wpc SXi instead of the originally planned 100wpc DX2 monos. I'm happy everything came together for them at this show and doubly happy that I needn't have worried. VS has had a string of unlucky show runs. Now that they coordinate preparations with show partners like Purity, KR, YFS, CIAudio and now Critical Mass Systems to a very high degree it's fantastic that they were finally able to pull things together for a show. I guess it helps that these companies have now done a number of shows together. My own system has many of the same DNA and identical cabling albeit I switch amplification between Lamm and KR depending on what strikes my fancy on any given day. The 100 has quite a bit of sentimental value for me since I was one of the guys along with Robert and Cor who egged him on to design and build it. When Albert was here in Manila, he, Damon and I were drawing on paper napkins while taking a coffee break. I should have gone with them but ultimately decided to go with VR-11 Mk2s when a unique opportunity I cannot yet discuss arose. I'm certain Robert (Kernelbob) who owns SN#0001 will have a HUGE smile on his face when he reads this. Later this year they will have a "real world" speaker that will have a heck of a lot of trickle down tech. I've already reserved 'em for my second system.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Mark,

Thanks for the report / pics! :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Right now yes. :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Right now yes. :)

Jim's not selling his is he ;)

I first heard the VR-11's at CES 8 or 9 years ago and loved them. In fact VS himself invited me back later that night for a private listen. IIRC it was all VAC electronics

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm on gag order :D Albert's son Damon played a huge part in designing this loudspeaker. It seems Albert and Dave have got their boys ready and able the same way Dan has.

Anybody know which Lamm amps were driving the TAD speakers at Axpona?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Thanks for the minishow coverage Mark, look it was time well spent - any idea of the source mix (digital/Vinyl/tape) there?

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I see and read hear a lot of what I agree with. I called MEP today but alas he had left. Myles and I did a great show summary. We work really well together... like Joe Buck and Troy Aikman calling a game. I'll start editing the vids on Tuesday and hope to get the awards posed on or before Friday. Sneak peak; it was a battle of the MBLs and master tape dubs for one of the Gold Sound Awards.

Image 1.jpg

caesar

May 30, 2010
I see and read hear a lot of what I agree with. I called MEP today but alas he had left. Myles and I did a great show summary. We work really well together... like Joe Buck and Troy Aikman calling a game. I'll start editing the vids on Tuesday and hope to get the awards posed on or before Friday. Sneak peak; it was a battle of the MBLs and master tape dubs for one of the Gold Sound Awards.

View attachment 8682

You guys did a fabulous job with the CES recap. Peter, you have to take a whip to your producer and get your expert opinions out faster!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing