An interesting read about Active Speakers: Has their time come

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I don't believe I said that. In fact I said ZERO about dynamics in passive speakers. I have heard passive speakers that have incredible dynamics. A couple that come to mind that I have actually heard are the Scaena, Magico. I'm sure there are more.

I don't claim to know all of the reasons why audiophiles don't select active speakers. I stated my opinion and I stand by it. Apparently you did not choose them for those reasons. Good for you.

Audioguy,

Please note I did not say you said it. :) As we were debating actives versus passives and you referred that:
(...) I have only heard a few active speaker systems and one of the standout qualities across each of them seemed to be dynamics. (...)

I asked you a question in the sequence of your comment, as your comment could have show a common trait in actives. Apologies if my formulation made it appear that it was your opinion - I was just looking for a straight answer.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hello Klaus

What about the load the individual driver presents?? Why does everone assume that a passive crossover presents an "unfriendly load" to the amp?? Has anyone bothered to look at driver impedence loads before making such a generalization?? Well here is a speaker system using essentially the same drivers as the plot for the individual drivers. Looking at the plots which looks easier to drive, the complete system or the individual drivers??

Rob:)

I was thinking exactly that Rob.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
One of the things hindering active is the proliferation of really bad active products on the market. While it would be wrong to associate these with those that are really good like say the ATCs, ADAM Tensors, etc. It happens. Ask anybody if he's heard actives and it would likely be some crappy prosumer monitor or something like a JBL EON clone. All brute force, no nuance.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Ive heard meridian , expensive linn systems and lyingdorf , cant remeber whether lyingdorf was fully active probably yes with some sort of sound control , i found linn the best off the bunch , the others i wouldnt even call " high end"

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim,

Perhaps you should start a thread entitled "What I think most audiophiles like". Almost all your opinions about audiophile matters are not based on your listening experiences (or at less you do not document them) but on your vision and beliefs about the audiophile people. I have now doubts that your descriptions are accurately describing a few audiophiles, but your generalization using systematically "many" and "most" in a forum filled with knowledgeable and experienced audiophiles (they even read and participate in WBF :), exposing their opinions to open scrutiny) is at less strange.

It would be nice to know what you consider most. More than 68, 95 or 99%?

Micro, my listening experiences have been documented here many times, but they are, unfortunately, boring compared to the neuroses of many audiophiles. Most? 51% is all that's required. :)

Tim

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Looks like MTM with Peerless P830656, same bass/mid I have in my speakers. What amps (chipamps?) are inside?

The manual states "Three low distortion 130 watt class AB amplifiers" The tweeters are Scan-speak.

They are heavy as HELL... Much heavier than my Focal Twin6 be speakers.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
The manual states "Three low distortion 130 watt class AB amplifiers".

When the blurb feels it necessary to describe amps as 'low distortion' I'm betting that means 'high noise' :D If you get to take them apart I'll be curious to see pics of the amps, crossovers (presumably opamps) and associated PSUs.

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
I have a pair of fully active speakers. These are very special , the only ones ever made that are quad amped pure class A four way speaker. Rushmore made by Pass Labs.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have a pair of fully active speakers. These are very special , the only ones ever made that are quad amped pure class A four way speaker. Rushmore made by Pass Labs.

Would LOVE to see photos of those!

Sammy T

Aug 30, 2012
003.jpg Picture of the Rushmore speaker by Pass Labs . Replaced original Raven tweeter with a newer Raal Ribbon , other drivers are PHL . On top of the speakers are some added custom lead weights that I made , about 95 Lbs total .

Last edited:

KlausR.

Dec 13, 2010
Hi Rob,

Rob said:
What about the load the individual driver presents?? Why does everone assume that a passive crossover presents an "unfriendly load" to the amp??

I’m no EE, so it’s highly likely that I misunderstood this issue.

Anyway, here’s what wiki says about active X-overs:

Despite the cost and complication disadvantages, active crossovers provide the following advantages over passive ones:

* frequency response independent of the dynamic changes in a driver's electrical characteristics.
*typically, the possibility of an easy way to vary or fine tune each frequency band to the specific drivers used. Examples would be crossover slope, filter type (e.g., Bessel, Butterworth, etc.), relative levels, ...
*better isolation of each driver from signals handled by other drivers, thus reducing intermodulation distortion and overdriving
*The power amplifiers are directly connected to the speaker drivers, thereby maximizing amplifier damping control of the speaker voice coil, reducing consequences of dynamic changes in driver electrical characteristics, all of which are likely to improve the transient response of the system
*reduction in power amplifier output requirement. With no energy being lost in passive components, amplifier requirements are reduced considerably (up to 1/2 in some cases), reducing costs, and potentially increasing quality.
* only C, R and op-amps necessary, no L
* parts don’t need to have high power rating, miniaturisation and complex designs possible

There’s no passage describing the advantages of passive over active, apart from lower costs and less complexity. Up to now only technical advantages of active vs passive have been mentioned, what about technical advantages of passive vs active, are there any, if yes, what are they?

Klaus

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
View attachment 8756 Picture of the Rushmore speaker by Pass Labs . Replaced original Raven tweeter with a newer Raal Ribbon , other drivers are PHL . On top of the speakers are some added custom lead weights that I made , about 95 Lbs total .

Very cool. Enjoy! Are all the amps inside or the speakers or just outside?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I vote to change "many" to "most" ;)

I am starting to believe that ownership of pure active speakers makes people see imaginary states of audiophile anxiety in the owners of passive speakers ... ;)

Note

We should consider that the American Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) has eliminated the category of "neurosis", reflecting a decision by the editors to provide descriptions of behavior as opposed to hidden psychological mechanisms as diagnostic criteria,and, according to The American Heritage Medical Dictionary, it is "no longer used in psychiatric diagnosis". Instead, the disorders once classified as neuroses are now considered anxiety disorders. [/I ] (quoted from Wikipedia)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing