What is your take on the new Carver tube amps

taters

Jun 6, 2012
They are getting great reviews. Has anyone heard them? How is the build quality?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
+1. Curious.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Which ones? I have heard just about every tubed pre-amplifier and amplifier that Carver ever produced [along with many that never hit production].

Tom

prerich

May 21, 2012
They are getting great reviews. Has anyone heard them? How is the build quality?
The new Black Beauty and the Cherry are terrific tube amps. I had the pleasure of hearing them at Axpona 2012 last year. Build quality is magnificent! These are another level for Bob, this stuff truly comes from his heart. (You should have seen him sweating trying to voice his Amazing Line Array, I walked right past him - thinking it was him but he looked so tired so I didn't stop him).

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

taters

Jun 6, 2012
Which ones? I have heard just about every tubed pre-amplifier and amplifier that Carver ever produced [along with many that never hit production].

Tom

His latest ones. I think one is 200 watts per channel and the other one is 300 watts. They are both monoblocks.

Purity Audio Design 1

Oct 28, 2010
Endicott, NY
www.purityaudiodesign.com
We have done several shows with Carver's new amps and very happy on all accounts. We just finished Axpona in Chicago where the Black Beauties were used to drive the King Sound stats with our Reference preamp feeding the Carvers. EnjoyTheMusic gave them best sound (first day).
We have done Axpona, CES and Capital Audio Fest with Carver Black Beauties with King Sound, Daedalus and Carver's Amazing Line Arrays.
We even have a pair in one of our facilities. Great amps and great people.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
His latest ones. I think one is 200 watts per channel and the other one is 300 watts. They are both monoblocks.

Ah, the Black Beauties and the Cherry 180's. I have heard both with the stock tubes and upgraded tubes and they both exhibit a wonderful sonic signature. I think you would be hard pressed to find someone that didn't absolutely enjoy them both. While not the same exact design, Bob had mentioned that they are basically a more affordable version of the highly regarded Silver Sevens. While I don't read reviews very often, as I tend to trust my ears over reviews, what little I have read has been positive. In this case, with both the Black Beauties and the Cherry 180's, you can trust the reviews. They both respond well to tube rolling and if I'm not mistaken, one or both of them can use a certain type of tube [can't recall which one] that will increase the wattage without harming the xnsfrmrs or amps themselves.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing