Kef ls50

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Mark,

Thank you so much for your detailed and thoughtful write up. I have no doubt great gear at sane prices exist. I am eager to try these speakers with my Job 225 amp. Talk about a value system. I appreciate your input.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Though I have not heard the Kef LS50 the frequency response only goes down to 80 hz on paper. The MMMirco One's go down to around 40 hz. This is probably worth the extra $1k in most cases. It will cost a bunch to get a decent sub that matches well with the Kef's I'm guessing.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Anyone have any thoughts on how they would compare to the now MUCH more expensive EA MMMicro One's?

the MMMicros at this years show in Newport were decidedly 'dark' and kinda lifeless paired with all-in-one playback design dac/integrated amp. i went back a few times to see if they improved and i wasnt feeling it. the price went up considerably, they're now $4k.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Wow, that prompted me to reread John Atkinson's review from my December 2012 issue of Stereophile (page 84).

Also avail online: http://www.stereophile.com/content/kef-ls50-anniversary-model-loudspeaker

* I believe this is a Classic in the making and in the listening. ...Gotto get myself a pair of these babies!

-> All of this for only $1,200, when on sale like they were at The S.H.O.W.!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Though I have not heard the Kef LS50 the frequency response only goes down to 80 hz on paper. The MMMirco One's go down to around 40 hz. This is probably worth the extra $1k in most cases. It will cost a bunch to get a decent sub that matches well with the Kef's I'm guessing.

In real life make that 50 Hz, with useable bass down to roughly 40 Hz (with room reinforcements).

* Read the review from my above link.

** A REEL subwoofer (or two) crossed at 80-90 Hz would be perfect!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This is a very interesting thread. The little ( and by looking at the dimensions...I should probably say "tiny") LS50's are truly getting some great press. Now I wish I had heard them. Anyone have any thoughts on how they would compare to the now MUCH more expensive EA MMMicro One's? Is it the King is dead, long live the King;)

I asked the same question before Davey and received no answers. I think that would be a great showdown. The MMMicroOnes would have more bass, but I never believed the figures that JTinn claims they go down to without many being dB down. I don't consider the Micro's to be full-range speakers either. I have only heard the Micro's under show conditions and I thought they sounded nice, but I for one never bought into the claim they sounded better than the Magico Q1. For $2500 including stands, I thought they were a good deal. Do they sound better than the LS50s? I honestly don't know.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
BTW, if anyone is interested in a multi-channel system using LS50, they now have a special for the 5.1 configuration including the sub. If you guys have not read he white paper on the designer of he driver, it is a recommended read. It was an incredible challenge to design such a combo. The video that Bob provided gives the highlight.

After having a fall out with Paradigm, we spent a year looking for another manufacturer and finally decided on KEF. Along the way, we heard a lot of bad attempts. We wanted something that went from value line all the way up and built on science, not marketing and folklore. Beyond the technology, there is a very friendly and caring company behind the product which was essential for us.

Since I have a commercial bias here :), I am not commenting much. But though I should say a few words.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Mark,

Thank you so much for your detailed and thoughtful write up. I have no doubt great gear at sane prices exist. I am eager to try these speakers with my Job 225 amp. Talk about a value system. I appreciate your input.

Joe-I appreciate the kind words. I told everyone that I would tell the truth as I hear it, even if it meant that I made a mistake and wasted some money. So far, I am happy with these speakers. People need to judge them not for being really, really good $1500 speakers, but just really, really good speakers. Unless you don't like the full-range sound, you will need subs with these like you would with any stand mount speakers. They just get out of the way and let the music shine through.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I asked the same question before Davey and received no answers. I think that would be a great showdown. The MMMicroOnes would have more bass, but I never believed the figures that JTinn claims they go down to without many being dB down. I don't consider the Micro's to be full-range speakers either. I have only heard the Micro's under show conditions and I thought they sounded nice, but I for one never bought into the claim they sounded better than the Magico Q1. For $2500 including stands, I thought they were a good deal. Do they sound better than the LS50s? I honestly don't know.

I would like to see that challenge as well as they both represent different technologies but both with excellent sound. With the EA now at $4K for the MMMicroOne this could be a shot in the foot for EA, as $1500 buys one heck of a great pair of speakers

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Joe-I appreciate the kind words. I told everyone that I would tell the truth as I hear it, even if it meant that I made a mistake and wasted some money. So far, I am happy with these speakers. People need to judge them not for being really, really good $1500 speakers, but just really, really good speakers. Unless you don't like the full-range sound, you will need subs with these like you would with any stand mount speakers. They just get out of the way and let the music shine through.

Mark - i just bought a pair last night, I will compare them to the Avalons and post my findings in a new thread.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I bought a pair recently. They are pretty wonderful. Not very tube friendly.

R

Can you elaborate on them not being tube friendly?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Mark, you've been going through some serious changes this year. First the move to SS, now small speakers! Man, I thought you were a dedicated big speaker guy. Congratulations. Good review. I hope they just keep getting better for you. Try dropping the crossover point to you subs, 80 seems high.

Tim

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Just got the latest issue of Hifi Critic with 3-pages long LS50 review. Paul Messenger is rather enthusiastic about them.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Do they make an active version? :)

Tim

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have like five hours listening to these KEF speakers in a far from optimal placement (my huge Avalons are flanking them and at amost 2 mts from the back wall) - my jaw is on the floor to say the least!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing