Kef ls50

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I for one am relaxed and sometimes amazed and amused at some people's chutzpah. For everyone that wants to take pot shots at me for buying the LS50s and determining that I can't live with them in my room with my system, fire away. I can take it and I won't run crying to the mods that you are hurting my feelings-trust me.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I for one am relaxed and sometimes amazed and amused at some people's chutzpah. For everyone that wants to take pot shots at me for buying the LS50s and determining that I can't live with them in my room with my system, fire away. I can take it and I won't run crying to the mods that you are hurting my feelings-trust me.

Seems to me you are being pretty presumptuous to think that we are posting about you.
Although many here did find your "stealthy" classified posting quiet amusing, my exchange
with Davey was very generic.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Seems to me you are being pretty presumptuous to think that we are posting about you.
Although many here did find your "stealthy" classified posting quiet amusing, my exchange
with Davey was very generic.

Stealthy? How so? I posted it on this forum for all to see. How does that qualify as being stealthy?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
There was a speaker? :)

Tim

mep

Apr 20, 2010
The LS50s are very good sounding speakers that image very well. They are built to the 'nines' and deserve to be partnered with the best electronics and sources you can conjure up. I was hoping that my room wouldn't be too big for them and with my subs I could be happy long-term with these little jewels. I felt it was worth taking a shot at it, but it didn't pan out for me.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The link from Jeff contained a comment that the uni-Q driver in the R200, etc. utilize different voice coil specs, etc. Amir, or anyone who has heard other speakers in this line, what positive characteristics and what trade-offs are there when compared to the LS50?

Lee

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The LS50s are very good sounding speakers that image very well. They are built to the 'nines' and deserve to be partnered with the best electronics and sources you can conjure up. I was hoping that my room wouldn't be too big for them and with my subs I could be happy long-term with these little jewels. I felt it was worth taking a shot at it, but it didn't pan out for me.

It's OK. No need to explain it anymore. So, are you going to be looking into larger KEFs?

Tim

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The link from Jeff contained a comment that the uni-Q driver in the R200, etc. utilize different voice coil specs, etc. Amir, or anyone who has heard other speakers in this line, what positive characteristics and what trade-offs are there when compared to the LS50?

Lee
I have not done any side-by-side comparisons. I will try to do some testing and report back. Most of my listening has been on the Blade which is in entirely different class than LS50.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I have not done any side-by-side comparisons. I will try to do some testing and report back. Most of my listening has been on the Blade which is in entirely different class than LS50.

Amir

Care to start a thread on the Blade? Based on what I am hearing from the LS50, the Blades have picked my interest, actually the whole Kef line based on the Uni-Q drivers.

I like the LS50 and am fully aware of their limitations. The darn things are good when not pushed out of their comfort zone. No! They will not energized a large room; they will however play music with accuracy down to their SPL and frankly scale limits and even there, they don't become bad, they are no longer startling, merely OK (repeating myself here). The last time I had so much fun with a two-way mini-monitor was with a Sonus Faber Electa Amator, a more colored speaker by the way from my recalling but one whose faults were addictive and a stunning looking speaker in my book. I am open to listen to some other two-ways now, the Magico Q1 foremost in my interest ( I did like the Mini by the way) ...Call it audiophile curiosity , I would not live long with any mini-monitor, I am however interested in the Q3, in the running with the MG 20.7 and the Kef Blades, if they're LS50 on steroids, look out world! Here comes Kef (again?).

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Fernando-I think the relaxation comes from both the Avalons because they can play louder without strain and your body/mind relaxing because you know your Avalons can play louder without strain. Once you figure out where the limit switch is on the LS50s, it causes your sphincter muscle to tighten every time you are listening to music that you know will hit the limit switch.

I don't want to give anyone the impression that the LS50s are anything less than a really well designed small speaker. Tons of engineering and innovative cabinet design went into these little jewels. They really need to be in a small room/space to sound their best I think.

Agreed again Mark, my intentions for the LS50 have always been for an office system I am re-installing, but just for the sake of throwing some curiosity here I hooked them to the large system at home. Again, not bad at all but far from what a large soeaker in a decent-sized room like mine can do.

I am restoring a Fisher receiver for that purpose, I am sure it will sound great there!

Saying that, this speaker in a large room BUT in a close-listening environment should work fine IMO.

Mr Rickz

Dec 26, 2019
Southern California
Looks like a while since anyone has had much to say about the LS50s. I mentioned in my introduction that they were my main speakers, primarily due to space limitations. Well, today I visited my local brick and mortar stereo store and had a listen to Harbeth 30.2s. Suddenly my LS50s don't sound as good as they once did. Has anyone else ever had this problem? LOL

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Looks like a while since anyone has had much to say about the LS50s. I mentioned in my introduction that they were my main speakers, primarily due to space limitations. Well, today I visited my local brick and mortar stereo store and had a listen to Harbeth 30.2s. Suddenly my LS50s don't sound as good as they once did. Has anyone else ever had this problem? LOL

Only with some enormously expensive large speakers in large rooms, or at least rooms considerably larger than mine (24 x 12 (partially 13.5) x 8.5 ft), and only on some music. My Reference 3A Reflector speakers, combined with JL Audio subs, are ideal for my room,, and the best monitors I have yet heard.

I can imagine that the Harbeth 30.2 would be a significant step up from the LS50.

Reactions: Mr Rickz

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Just a simple remark; why have the word "Banned" under certain WBF members...it looks like they are terrorists from Twitter. Ban the word and it makes WBF appears more elegant, intelligent, diplomatic, dignified, humanly respectable. That's my opinion and suggestion.

Reactions: howiebrou

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .it looks like they are terrorists from Twitter. . . .

Bob, I think this may be the most genuinely funny thing I have seen you post. :D

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Just a simple remark; why have the word "Banned" under certain WBF members...it looks like they are terrorists from Twitter. Ban the word and it makes WBF appears more elegant, intelligent, diplomatic, dignified, humanly respectable. That's my opinion and suggestion.

This is the first time I have ever seen the “Banned” label!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing