Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Equi~Tech vs Torus

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    pretty much how I've done it. the number and size of the ground rods relates to ground resistance and soil PH conditions.
    So you have multiple grounding rods?
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Lyra Etna SL; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC, Oppo BDP-105;

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dminches View Post
    So you have multiple grounding rods?
    no, only one.....but it's in the ground maybe 4 feet from my Equi=tech panel. I live in a 'rain forest' climate with what I've been told are ideal soil conditions (it was tested at the time). i do not recall the exact info on my ground rod; only that in desert or eastern US areas the soil conditions are more challenging to overcome.
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, AS-2000 ord. (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock + mono powerbases, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart 458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, *Tripoint Troy Sig + Elite, Entreq Sil Tel + Pos, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

My electrician was just here. The panel installation is straightforward.

We talked about the grounding. Currently I have a copper wire running to my main water line and a second run to a zinc rod in the ground. There is a 2nd rod which attaches to the first rod, 6 feet away, which is required by code.

It sounds like I want to run a grounding strap from the panel to the rod outside and figure out what rod to use.
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Lyra Etna SL; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC, Oppo BDP-105;

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by doshiaudio View Post
    i have to chime in and agree with this advice. Additionally, having a licensed electrician will also give you an opportunity to check/upgrade the ground in your location which will enhance the performance of all your gear
    Once again, the connection to Planet Earth has nothing to do with day-to-day AC power quality. It is there for safety during thunderstorms and other high voltage problem events. Do whatever makes the electrician and the inspector happy.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
    Once again, the connection to Planet Earth has nothing to do with day-to-day AC power quality. It is there for safety during thunderstorms and other high voltage problem events. Do whatever makes the electrician and the inspector happy.
    What are you basing you comments on?

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
    Once again, the connection to Planet Earth has nothing to do with day-to-day AC power quality.(...)
    Sorry it it not true in reality, where power transformers can suffer from leakage to the secondary and equipment is not designed according to ideal rules. We are debating consumer high end equipment, not military specified and certified equipment. And noise is not just hum!

It is why, for example, some instrumentation research laboratories and facilities specify extremely low resistance ground connections - we do not want to have problems with what your neighbor does in his section.
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, Magico Mini II's while waiting for the XLF successor, Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 3, Lamm ML1.2 Ref, Lamm L2ref, TA OPUS MM2 IC's and sp, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by dminches View Post
    What are you basing you comments on?
    Every good engineering book and paper on the subject of AC power.

With AC power noise, interference, leakage, lost Neutral and Ground currents have no interest in Planet Earth. They are only interested in getting back to their source which is the power company transformer.
    Kevin

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213