Prerich's Dual Purpose system

prerich

May 21, 2012
I'm no where near as adept as many of you and I don't have long pockets. I do, however enjoy both music and movies. So here's a run down of my system

L/R - Klipsch Cornwall I's with Crites crossover and tweeter modifications (CT-125).
Center - Klipsch Heresy I with Crites updates and CT-125
Side Surround - Definitive Technology BP-1 with Passive Subwoofers
Rear Surround - Definitive Technology BP-2
LFE - Atlantic Technology PBM - 352 (X2) and Wharfedale SW-380 (X2) (the Wharfedales are run by an external amp and crossover bypassed).

Prepro: Onkyo HT-RC180 Receiver (used as a prepro)

Amplification:
LCR: Adcom 5503 power amp
Rears: Yamaha MX-830 Power amps (x2)
Wharfedale subs: Behringer EP4000

Signal Processors:
Behringer DCX 2496
Behringer FBQ 2496

Rack - Wingard rack bay (7 foot)

Source: BD HTPC with 5TB Nas Server (expandable), HDHomeRun Prime three receiver network tuner
HTPC Frontends: JRiver, Windows Media Center (for CableCard based TV)

Recent additions: Fostex Outboard Super Tweeters (T90A) (Not pictured yet)

Cornwall room.jpg

prerich

May 21, 2012
Ok you can scratch the Onkyo Receiver, the Behringer DCX, and FBQ pieces. My HTPC is now my prepro. You can add the Asus Xonar Essence ST +H6 expansion card to the above list.

prerich

May 21, 2012
Memories. My first pair of "real" speakers were Klipsch Cornwalls. I will never forget the look on my wife's face when I brought them into the house! I had them for a very long time. (Actually, longer than her).

Very nice system.
Thanks Audiogy, I just got rid of the Atlantic Technology Subs too!!! I sold them to my son for chump change ($50). I did this as a result of moving my speakers back to the wall.

prerich

May 21, 2012
NAS Server

My system has changed a bit and I will need to post new pics - however I was supposed to start a thread on my NAS server and I got busy and forgot about it. Well - since it is part of my system I will start it here.

I have a 12TB NAS, built using NAS4FREE. Currently, a backup copy of my music resides on a 2TB external drive which I copied to my NAS. I know that 12 TB is a bit much - but I'm getting ready for the time when BD's will be allowed to be ripped to your drive legally. I've talked to others and I've been informed that the crime is removing and circumventing protection. However - there are rippers that leave the AACS protection intact and if it's done that way - the law has not been violated. I'll degress on that one, lets talk about the NAS.

The NAS is currently in stripped drive mode (yes I know - building a Raid 5 for parity would have been better - because all drives eventually fail - but currently - I have my music on an external backup so all is well). NAS4Free is a good alternative if you have an junker machine around. I had an old Core 2 DUO 2.2GHZ machine around and 6gb of ram. Purchased hard drives (my motherboard can hold up to 6 sata drives), downloaded NAS4Free, installed and set up my services (Samba, SSH, DLNA, and FTP). I have several different media pools set up - one for music, one for future movies and recorded TV, and one for other (data, ect). I've only allocated about 9 TB of the 12 available and I've used maybe 10-15% of the 9 TB that have been pooled. Currently all computers connected to my network can access my media - this also includes my WDTV live tv, iPAD, and android devices. My server resides in a rack behind a plastic covering (you can't see it). It's totally silent I can't even hear the drives spin and I access the server OS through a web GUI.

Amir, however has got my curiosity going - I'm a king of free (because I don't have the income of most of you around here - I look at your systems and say...MAN!!!!) so I usually look for good and inexpensive alternatives, but Amir mentioned unRAID! I was unfamiliar with it but as I began to research it - I was highly impressed!!! I love the way unRAID only spins up the drives that you need instead of constantly spinning all of the drives. Even though I just built my NAS4Free about a month ago, I'm certainly looking into purchasing a license for unRAID!!! :cool::D

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Memories. My first pair of "real" speakers were Klipsch Cornwalls. I will never forget the look on my wife's face when I brought them into the house! I had them for a very long time. (Actually, longer than her).

Very nice system.

I bought a pair of Klipschhorns while living in a canal house in Amsterdam. Had them flown in from the USA for 40% of Dutch retail. You should have seen the face of bystanders when I hauled them in through the window using the gantry....

prerich

May 21, 2012
i bought a pair of klipschhorns while living in a canal house in amsterdam. Had them flown in from the usa for 40% of dutch retail. You should have seen the face of bystanders when i hauled them in through the window using the gantry....

wow!!!!

prerich

May 21, 2012
I sold them for a pittance when I moved to the USA a few years later ....
I bet it wasn't as bad as me selling Yamaha NS-1000's in ebony for $45 back in the mid 90's :(

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I bet it wasn't as bad as me selling Yamaha NS-1000's in ebony for $45 back in the mid 90's :(

Close. I sold my entire system (no use for 220V gear moving to the US) for $2500. Klipschhorns, Cary 300B tubes amps, PS audio transport, audio alchemy DAC, Summo Athena preamp if I recall correctly.

prerich

May 21, 2012
Edorr, ummm....yep, It's in that catagory! That was like paying for the Khorns and giving the rest away!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks for creating the thread and explaining your NAS solution.

Just adding on, often consumer solutions for shared network storage (NAS) is to use what enterprises use. In those applications, speed is important so drives are chained together (striped) and extra drives added for redundancy. In home use, our application is different. Audio uses almost no bandwidth. Even Blu-ray video uses minimal amount relative to speed of a single hard disk these days. So speed is not important. Further, we don't need to optimize for writing to the shared disk. We put our library there and 99.999% of time just read from it. Occasionally we store more content in it but that is not something that happens often and again, any configuration does the job.

These reasons have caused three or so solutions (that I know) of that are optimized for this situation. They use a different architecture. In their simplest form they copy files for redundancy. The advantage here is as was mentioned: when reading you only read where the data is. You don't have to read the rest of the drives and hence they can be powered down. That reduces heat, increases reliability and saves in electricity. When you have a drive running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, even small amount of watts adds up to real money.

The other advantage they have is that should the system fail, or a drive go bad, you can hook up the rest of the drives to any PC or Mac and read them. Not so with enterprise solutions. THeir formats is often proprietary and due to striping, you can't just read one drive.

prerich

May 21, 2012
I've made some changes to my system. I now have three Cornwall's for the LCR (the center channel is a Cornwall Vertical). I also have changed out the crossovers, they now have ALK Bv2 crossovers. Here's a comparison between the original crossover and the new ones.

IMG_20150709_165255638_zpsplmqswny.jpg

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Wow...love the well thought out system for both HT and 2-channel/music; I remember your speakers well, hearing them many years ago.
From what I read through on the system manifest, you must be very happy with how everything sounds together!!!

prerich

May 21, 2012
Wow...love the well thought out system for both HT and 2-channel/music; I remember your speakers well, hearing them many years ago.
From what I read through on the system manifest, you must be very happy with how everything sounds together!!!
Thank you, a few things have changed. I'm now using an B&K Reference 200.7 Power Amp to power the system. I've also changed my subwoofers as well. I'm using 2 custom Acoustic Elegance P1512 subs (15 inch subs with 2-18 inch passive radiators per box), along with 2 SVS CS 16-46's, and a MiniDSP for bass EQ.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Thanks for the additional detail...have a great weekend and hope you get alot of listening time in!

prerich

May 21, 2012
Ok, major changes have occurred

nfinity Composition Prelude P-FR s l,/r
Infinity Composition Overture 1 center
Infinity Composition QPS-1 front presence
Acoustic Elegance P1512 subs (15" w and 18" PRs x2 per cabinet)
SVS CS 16-48 x2
106" screen and 50" LCD
Infocus 1080p projector
Infinity Composition QPS-1 side with DCM subs
Infinity Composition P-QPS rear presence
Gekko 1814 flat panel speakers back surrounds
B&K 200.7 reference amp
Yamaha mx-830 amp
Behringer nu4-6000 amp
Custom HTPC Blu-ray Nvidia 1050ti
20tb NAS
Yamaha RX-A3020 receiver
MiniDSP 2x4
Custom AK4490seq Dac with Burson opamp
Furman power conditioners
Winsted rack

fullcomp.jpg

prerich

May 21, 2012
Ok, It's been a while but here's my newest upgrade...excuse my messy room

Legacyharmony1.jpg

Reactions: SCAudiophile

prerich

May 21, 2012
System includes
Mains - Legacy Whispers in Cherry
Center - Legacy Harmony
Surround and Front heights- Infinity Overture 1
Back-surround and Rear heights - Infinity FPS-1000
Subs - Custom Acoustic Elegance subs
Amps - McIntosh MC8207, McIntosh 7205, Crown XLI 2500
Processors - Marantz AV7706, Step One Whisper processor, Citation 7.0
Dacs - Denafrips Ares II with 12th firmware upgrade, S.M.S.L. SU-9N
Media Player(s) - NVidia Shield Pro, HTPC, 44TB NAS
Acoustic transparent 100 inch screen and 4k projector Viewsonic

Reactions: SCAudiophile

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing