How to jailbreak any iOS 6 device, including iPhone 5

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I just googled "what does jailbreaking a phone mean" and I sorta get it. I see that can you use the phone on other providers, this seems like a good thing but I was not sure of any other benefit (expect more apps- like we need more apps). Steve are you doing a jailbreak on yours?

Steve Williams

I did with my last iphone but not with this one. It is perfectly legal. Using the phone with other providers is "unlocking" the phone.. With jail breaking you get a whole new world of apps out there that never made it to the App store etc

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The provider I have, Verizon, has superior service and coverage. No need to hack mine....

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think what Bruce was saying is that he is happy with his service and provider and feels no need to jail break his phone.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
"Open Line" or "Unlock" allows the phone o be used with any GSM carrier. Have not heard of CDMA phones getting unlocked.

"Jailbreak" allows use of unapproved 3rd party Apps.

Unlocking is illegal in many countries. AFAIK Jailbreaking is not, at least not yet

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
JackD201;179145Unlocking is illegal in many countries. AFAIK Jailbreaking is not said:
I thought the iPhone was "unlocked" to use any carrier

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I thought the iPhone was "unlocked" to use any carrier

Unlocked phones can be bought from the Apple stores but you pay the full price as they are not partially subsidized by your carrier. I'm using an open line 5 on a local GSM network. I wonder how I would go about using it for Verizon. Easy with AT&T, all I do is slip in a SIM card. Really bad service and coverage with AT&T though. When in the US I usually have a throwaway pre-paid plan Verizon Samsung clamshell.

Steve Williams

"Jailbreak" allows use of unapproved 3rd party Apps.

Unlocking is illegal in many countries. AFAIK Jailbreaking is not, at least not yet

That's exactly right Jack. Jailbreaking for me had nothing to do with carriers or unlocking but rather to use the endless number of Apps that never made it to the apps store

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Interesting thread. Last year a friend of mine was told by AT&T that they would NOT unlock his iphone 3GS even though he was out of contract!. They played him around for a bit by bouncing him from operator to operator and then hung up on him. This did not go over well, so he had another friend ( who is a real techie) unlock the 3GS, jailbreak the 3GS, Unlock his 4s and 5 that were both under contract with AT&T, and jailbreak both of those! He then proceeded to sell all three phones for a substantial amount and went over to Sprint and bought a new iphone 5 at a nice price, pocketing a nice savings..:D
One thing I learned from the techie is IF you want to jailbreak or unlock your iphone, do NOT upload the latest revision to the OS. BTW, jailbreak is simply getting away from itunes and the app store...I'm not so sure how beneficial that is, but people will pay good money for a jailbroke and unlocked iPhone.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Steve, it's free to jailbreak or unlock...IF you know how. But it's not simple and definitely not for the non-tech minded. So, a jailbroke and unlocked phone is a much more valuable commodity than a non-jailbroke or locked phone. At least to some people.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I reckon that a lot of those phones end up overseas.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Steve, we're assuming that jailbreaking is legal...I dunno as I haven't read the latest Eula, presumably everyone else here has..;)... :D

Luckily, I haven't heard of too many unlock/jailbreak police in our neighborhood.:D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing