New tape pre-amp king!!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Stay tuned folks... I have a new tape pre showing up on my doorstep tomorrow.

Everytime I have heard this unit, it's the best tape sound around. It's a tube design with separate power supply. Super quiet with zero-feedback. Has the following features:

1- Level adjustments for each channel for NAB and IEC EQ

2- Head Loading adjustments to optimize HF response and compensate for cable length

3- HF tilt adjustment

Can't wait!

Last edited:

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
what deck do you have with a wired out head to test this pre or do you connect this to an A80 somehow ?

I have 2 A80RC MkII that Ki has done for me. There is a nice clean switch on the back that can go from internal to external. Ki is da' man!

Switch.jpg

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Does the last word of the thread's title contain a clue Bruce?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Does the last word of the thread's title contain a clue Bruce?

Not a chance..... These were commissioned by me from a well known tube designer.

The tube compliment is NOS GE 12AT7 and JJ ECC99 gold pin in a fully balanced design.

As far as I know, only the designer and his distributor have one.

MSRP.... a cool $10k

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What a coincidence, my preamp uses the exact same tube complement except I use TFK 801s and JJ ecc99s (but only single ended). You should get a lot of voltage drive from those 99s...lots.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have 2 A80RC MkII that Ki has done for me. There is a nice clean switch on the back that can go from internal to external. Ki is da' man!

Bruce,
Did he connect the wires coming from the tape head directly to that switch?

Curt Palme

Jan 25, 2012
I have a challenge for the designers that I'll bet will make an audible difference to these preamps. A head by design is a balanced signal source, i.e. it does not have one side of the coil winding tied to chassis ground. Why then use RCA unbalanced connectors for the head? Why not use a mini XLR connector in a balanced configuration, and design the input of said esoteric preamp in a balanced configuration? I'll bet that would reduce any hum or other noise pickup measurably.

Just an idea. :)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

View attachment 8563

Hmmm, if I were to get an A80, I could get that switch mod and use my King/Cello if necessary...Do the VU meters work when using the external electronics switch, not that it matter much, other than for aesthetics ?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Hmmm, if I were to get an A80, I could get that switch mod and use my King/Cello if necessary...Do the VU meters work when using the external electronics switch, not that it matter much, other than for aesthetics ?

No they don't.... I use my Fluke meter for calibration.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
I have a challenge for the designers that I'll bet will make an audible difference to these preamps. A head by design is a balanced signal source, i.e. it does not have one side of the coil winding tied to chassis ground. Why then use RCA unbalanced connectors for the head? Why not use a mini XLR connector in a balanced configuration, and design the input of said esoteric preamp in a balanced configuration? I'll bet that would reduce any hum or other noise pickup measurably.

Just an idea. :)

Well, Curt you are correct. ;)

Although the RCAs in the photo look to be more common unbalanced preamp interface, the center pin and its outer "ground" are actually not tied to the headblock ground. It was a quick choice we made at the time more than a year ago to be ready for the "said last word" tape head preamp which is still good and maybe the best option to this day and was readily available at the time.

However, we are rectifying the situation by replacing the RCAs with XLR connectors by using a custom mounting plate made specially for Studer A80RCs and will be wired properly for "true differential input" configuration to the tape head preamp as the designer prescribed.

Use of differential input configuration for tape head preamp is indeed a good idea for maximum signal quality and rejecting any noise from the head to the connectors if you have a preamp that can make use of it but it's not new as far as I know. My Manley Tube Tape Head Preamp has the similar balanced head input configuration.

Ki

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
I use it to set the correct speed and voltage. I think it's a model 115

We can actually experiment for ourselves instead of guessing but based on my experience, it is better to use an outboard analog AC millivoltmeter like this one:

http://www.tequipment.net/LeaderLMV-181A.asp in 2 channel version.

Although I have not tried the Fluke 115 multimeter, some of the issues of using digital meters for VU meter calibration or as a substitute are with frequency response in AC millivolt mode. It is very accurate up to about 1Khz but when you kick it up to ~16Khz and beyond, it could be way off or not respond at all in some models from overseas. Most of the analog AC millivoltmeters respond up to 1 Mhz with +/-1 to 3% accuracy.

Ki

Last edited:

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Today old equipment from surplus store is very cheap thank for the new digital equipment make that happen but they still working good for analog like H/P 400E AC voltmeter can measure down to 0.01 mv in a very wide frequency range
tony ma

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing