rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Thx for the Mustard's rec Steve

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Bob

Another thing we have done on two occasions is to take the Napa Valley Wine Train which is dining aboard a restored train which has decent cuisine, excellent wines and a good bar. It takes a slow cruise from the bottom to the top of the Napa Valley and then back again. On the trip up half the train dines while the other half are in the scenic cars with the bar and vice versa on the way back. Whole experience is ~3 hours. They serve lunch and dinner

Then if you are really brave, there are excellent hot air balloon rides through the Napa Valley

Finally if you're staying at a hotel in the Napa Valley best advice is to use your concierge as they have ins everywhere and often times can get you into the French Laundry but if so be prepared to fork out $1K and perhaps more depending on the wine ordered. There are also many limo services which will take you on a scenic tour of the best wineries and will get youin easier than going by yourself (Opus is like that--if you don't have a reservation you don't get in)

MJB

Mar 10, 2013
Mustard's used to be nice without being TOO hoity toity, but haven't been there in years.

I have a friend whose old girl friend used to own the bed and breakfast on the hillside across the street. The new owners installed massive antique wood furniture from the South in the rooms, I guess it is a prime location for watching the balloons go up and down the valley when they do that.

I was in Napa this past September. Mustards is still worth a stop. I did have the lamb burger with a bottle of O'Shaugnessy wine. Still good after all these years!

Mike

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Silver Oak isn't what it used to be. It's pretty pedestrian now. Same with Mondavi.
These are some of the more interesting in CA:
Harland
Bond
Phelps Insignia
Spottswood
Aebru
Peter Micheal
Bryant Family

There are more but these will point you in the right direction

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Agree on the Silver Oak - it's really nothing special to me. Phelps Insignia is at the very top of any wine I would serve.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
imo, silver oak isnt what it used to be but its still a fine wine. i've received several bottles of phelps insignia as gifts and cant get into it, but those i've shared it with love it. call me a wine wimp but i can live happliy ever after drinking caymus special selection.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
imo, silver oak isnt what it used to be but its still a fine wine. i've received several bottles of phelps insignia as gifts and cant get into it, but those i've shared it with love it. call me a wine wimp but i can live happliy ever after drinking caymus special selection.

Yes my love with Insignia is primarily because it's a blend; can't drink straight Cab anymore, too sweet for me.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Joseph Phelps Insignia:p:p
just bought some this week. Not sure when I'll drink it.

Silver Oak not as consistent as it was 10 years ago. I wouldn't say no to a glass, but there are better wines at that price point.

Quintessa, Ramey, William Selyem(pinot zinfandel), Opus, Caymus (special select), Pahlmeyer, Kosta Browne (pinot),Hundred Acre worth the SS

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Can't weigh in on vino b/c i haven't had a drink in decades, but for some non-Napa stuff in that neck of the woods:

1. San Fran- slanted door was pretty serious food last time I was there. There is also a very old timey seafood place in the financial district that was fun- i'll try and find the name- not uber level food, but kind of a cool place; also the Tonga Room up at the Fairmont- I thought it closed, but apparently they kept it open- go for a silly drink and a pu-pu platter- there aren't many of these places left. I also used to stay at the Huntington, i think it was called, very old school small hotel on the Hill, and far cheaper than the high end hotels.
2. Sausalito is a cool spot- there is a hotel that climbs the hill, oldish, and as i remember, had a nice terrace for breakfast.
3. If you are up for a drive, spend a nite in Big Sur. My favorite place in the U.S. (check out the Post Ranch Inn- no kids, good cellar, good restaurant, spectacular post modern 'huts' built into the cliffs looking out over the Pacific).

PS: If you like cars, Fantasy Junction is a very cool place to visit, not far from San Fran. Call first, just to let them know you are coming. Everything from vintage Bugatti to American muscle cars.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Agree on the Silver Oak - it's really nothing special to me. Phelps Insignia is at the very top of any wine I would serve.

Looks like its time for you to try some different CA wine;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I just got back from the US with my wife. Included in the short trip was a 3 day, two night trip in Yountville. We arrived at around 2pm and headed to Bouchon where we ordered the Grande Plateau which is their supersized version of the classic Fruit de Mer. I do love chilled seafood and this is comparable with that of Stork in Amsterdam. Got a good start with the Napa buzz with Reislings and Chablis'. With all that seafood we were ready for some good red meat. We hit Press for dinner where the flame broiled dry aged beef was wonderful. I had mine with a bit of black truffle butter on top. Next day we just grabbed some simple sandwiches at the Deli then went to Opus One for the wine tasting and tour. Again a bit buzzed, we wanted some comfort food and we hit Mustards. I ordered their famous Mongolian Pork Chops and the Missus the Duck Confit. Again both very, very good. Anyone that goes there MUST try their onion rings. Their mashed potato is also the fluffiest, cloud like mash I've ever had. Seriously. I just had to have the recipe so I bought their cook book. It turns out Chef Cindy was in the house and she so sweetly signed her book for us.

Having dined at FL twice before we decided to try a recommendation of one of our friends instead so we went to Richard Redington's REDD. Being the last night I prodded my wife for us to do the tasting menu with pairing. Servings are twice the size of that of classic french tastings. (More akin to Gary Danko's sizes). Then I realized that my wife and I had different dishes. Ahhhhh! That's so smart! It makes for a great dining dynamic as it promotes sharing. It turned the 5 course tasting into a 10 course one. Chef Richard must have been in a good mood because half way through he sent yet another dish. Something we here call Cua Pao. Open steamed buns with a filling of very tender braised pork belly. REDD has a lot of asian influences and being Asian I can tell you that his fusion expertly walks the fine line between east and west and shows great respect for both traditions. I highly recommend this place. Last stop before driving back to San Francisco was Bottega for some italian food. I couldn't resist the hamachi served on a salt block and ordered the lobster and sea urchin pasta. We sometimes take celebrity TV chefs for granted but Michael Chiarello is the real deal. Great brunch!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Beautiful! I am trying to convince my wife to go back to the wine country next year for my 50th; it's looking good. Liver permitting, that's the place I would love to retire in (dream on), and yes, I will drink straight Cabs again when in Napa :D ... just a bit overpriced, that's all...

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
My wife and I took a bike trip through Napa and Sonoma two years ago. We would stop at vineyards for lunch and, if so inclined, take a break along the way to do a tasting. We passed Silver Oak at about 9:30 in the morning but stopped anyway. We did a very abreviated tasting since we had a full day of biking and bought a few bottles which the bike van picked up for us. They can't ship to PA so we had to carry them on the plane. We have loved them ever since.

They had a huge cork sculpture for sale that I loved.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Reservations for dinner at FL are almost impossible but I understand that lunch is easier.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Reservations for dinner at FL are almost impossible but I understand that lunch is easier.

that is correct unless you know JackD201 who always finds a way to get a reservation

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sheer luck. :rolleyes:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing