Many big names missing from Axpona in Chicago. Worth attending the show?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I agree that Jonathan's room sounded great. His tapes are special. However, I wouldn't say it was the best sound at the show. I really think the VS room was the best sounding.

Like I said above, I thought the VS room was underpowered. Don't get me wrong, it was superb. But I know it could have been much, much better. I think VS should go watch some Mike Tyson knockout compilations on youtube. I feel he should have gone all out at this event, so opportunity lost.

But it's all preference, right?:)

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
To my ears, the big Venture room had very "beautified" sound. If this is their sonic signature, I totally get why their owners and fans are so passionate about the gear. However, it lacked the dynamic swings of a real show, like say the Von Scweikert room across the hall. Again, I'm not sure if it was the large room or the associated gear that caused it to sound more beautiful than real.

Thanks for the report. To my ears, they sound best with FM Acoustics electronics or Concert Fidelity hybrid pre and a big ss amp. Also, when I added Purist Audio Design Proteus Provectus cables, it was a "beautiful" made in heaven match, with plenty of dynamics and slam.;)

caesar

May 30, 2010
Scaena - ARC - Vivaldi.jpg

My iphone camera cannot do full justice to the beautiful chrome finish on the towers

caesar

May 30, 2010
Atma Sphere - Transmisson Audio - Teo - Feickert - AMR

photo(2).jpg

Never heard a system sound bad that has Atma Sphere in it

prerich

May 21, 2012
Yes it is the real thing....and look at what we listen to the real thing through ;)!!!!! Said that to say this, I'm glad you're enjoying the music :) that's what its all about.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Like I said above, I thought the VS room was underpowered. Don't get me wrong, it was superb. But I know it could have been much, much better. I think VS should go watch some Mike Tyson knockout compilations on youtube. I feel he should have gone all out at this event, so opportunity lost.

But it's all preference, right?:)

Caesar-I'm glad we agree that the VR room sounded superb. If another amplifier could have kicked up the sound quality another notch, that would be truly scary. I think I'm starting to see a trend here. You and I were both knocked out by the Nola KO speakers (pun sort of intended) at the 2012 RMAF. I think that maybe just maybe you and I hear the same things.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
And another thing about the show-the truly best sound I heard was the jazz trio playing at Gibson's restaurant which is attached to the Doubletree. It was a drummer, standup bass, and piano. The drum kit was the smallest drum kit I have ever seen. I didn't know they made bass drums and snares that small. However, the SPLs and the intensity were simply off the charts like all drum kits are heard live. Having spent the whole day listening to a gazillion stereo systems and then hearing this jazz trio was a reality check for sure. Regardless of the cost of your high-end system, we still have so far to go to capture the reality of live sound.

prerich

May 21, 2012
And another thing about the show-the truly best sound I heard was the jazz trio playing at Gibson's restaurant which is attached to the Doubletree. It was a drummer, standup bass, and piano. The drum kit was the smallest drum kit I have ever seen. I didn't know they made bass drums and snares that small. However, the SPLs and the intensity were simply off the charts like all drum kits are heard live. Having spent the whole day listening to a gazillion stereo systems and then hearing this jazz trio was a reality check for sure. Regardless of the cost of your high-end system, we still have so far to go to capture the reality of live sound.
Agreed, and then it comes down to the type of music you listen to. The majority of my music is live Gospel music. So it has a sound marked by the PA's of that day. I love the stuff that came out of Maleco Records!!!!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Sceanas are absolutely gorgeous.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
The Sceanas are absolutely gorgeous.

The Scaenas sounded very good and do look great but I'm not sure I'd want to stare at all of that chrome for very long.

One item in that room got my attention even more than the Scaenas and that was the gorgeous Critical Mass double wide rack. Color matched the amp stands you see in the picture. Stunning! The owner of Critical Mass was in the room. I asked the price.......$33,000! He did say that was ANY color I wanted though.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
From the video... the sound was very very good. You'll hear it soon :)

Image 16.jpg

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Scaenas sounded very good and do look great but I'm not sure I'd want to stare at all of that chrome for very long.

One item in that room got my attention even more than the Scaenas and that was the gorgeous Critical Mass double wide rack. Color matched the amp stands you see in the picture. Stunning! The owner of Critical Mass was in the room. I asked the price.......$33,000! He did say that was ANY color I wanted though.

I think they are very easy on the eyes. I would love to get a chance to build a room around the Sceanas. Too bad they aren't represented here. I'd have a lot of fun with the lighting for sure. The Maxxum racks from Joe at CMS really are gorgeous too. Pictures don't do them justice.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I know this is a Sceana thread, but did not anyone take more pics of other gear?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I know this is a Sceana thread, but did not anyone take more pics of other gear?

There are other threads with more pictures. Mostly started by Mep I think.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing