Lighting

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
DO NOT use any dimmers on incandescent lights--they buzz. [Categorically, I hate incandescents.]

Dimmable LED lights are OK.

CFL are fine. Personally, I like 5000-5500 degK bulbs.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I mostly use (the older) Ikea picture lights with small incandescent bulbs... my mood lighting is to highlight the art collection. I love looking at paintings this way. Also, I have outdoor lighting on the garden with a bay window looking out in the center of the room. Yes, I know this is an audio sin :)

Steve, post pics of these rope lights please, love to see em.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I really like what Arthurs did in his room. Hmmmmm. Where to find those pics..........

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
They are coming Peter. Final measurements on the room are happening over the next few days

Steve,

You should post your subjective opinions before seeing the measurements. Otherwise you will be affected by measurement bias, one the most insidious forms to limit freedom of speech in high-end audio. (Just looking for a reason to delicately press you - we are all anxious to read your thread on the new room). ;)

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I managed to free up a switched outlet near the system, was wondering what you do or have any suggestions for Mood lighting for listening :confused:

I used blue LED's around the perimeter of the center openings in my ceiling RPG BAD panel frames and white LED's on the back floor of my ceiling set back areas. Although the pictures were taken with a flash, you can kind of see what I did by looking at my system http://www.whatsbestforum.com/album.php?albumid=46. I think the look is very relaxing while listening to music.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve,

You should post your subjective opinions before seeing the measurements. Otherwise you will be affected by measurement bias, one the most insidious forms to limit freedom of speech in high-end audio. (Just looking for a reason to delicately press you - we are all anxious to read your thread on the new room). ;)

TBH I haven't listened. I can tell you that everything fires up and man it is good to see the glow of those tubes esp the 2 GM-70's. Thankfully I put in a dedicated central HVAC for the room and it is dead quiet. The past 12 hours has been nothing but playing a burn in disk.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I used blue LED's around the perimeter of the center openings in my ceiling RPG BAD panel frames and white LED's on the back floor of my ceiling set back areas. Although the pictures were taken with a flash, you can kind of see what I did by looking at my system http://www.whatsbestforum.com/album.php?albumid=46. I think the look is very relaxing while listening to music.

Shouldn't there be a turntable on top of your equipment rack instead of a damn house plant? :mad:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
TBH I haven't listened. I can tell you that everything fires up and man it is good to see the glow of those tubes esp the 2 GM-70's. Thankfully I put in a dedicated central HVAC for the room and it is dead quiet. The past 12 hours has been nothing but playing a burn in disk.

Seems like you are on your way to having one of the best "medium size" listening rooms extant. How long has it been since room transition, 9 months?

Your new room has proximate dimensions of my Pleasanton room.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thanks Carl. Last time I heard anything out of my system was the end of June last year.

I can tell you that I did just finally have a listen and I must admit it sounded pretty darn good even with my perfunctory positioning of the speakers as they are now and are still on casters. I wanted to have a listen to get some initial impressions as the rest of the room treatments are going in, specifically the tuning tubes and Helmholtz resonator. Francisco was talking before about expectation bias commenting after the measurements but TBH there was expectation bias from the moment I saw those tubes glowing :)

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I use two lava lamps myself; one red one on top of my right sub behind my right speaker,
and a blue one on top of my left sub behind my left speaker. ...I cannot see them directly from my main seating position. They simply give a smooth 'aura' light waterfall.
- They use 40 Watts bulbs, the size like the ones used in your fridge, and oven.

I also have two lamps with black lights, they are nice too, and they work well. They come as 60, 40, and 25 Watts.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing