Back to Jadis?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I am enjoying (again) a pair of Jadis JA50 amps in my system, besides Gryphon and Rowland, Jadis is the company from which I have sourced more amps during this ride of 30+ years in audio.

Compared to my current amp (EAR 861) the JA50s sound is fuller, crisper, golden and with more authority in the bass, I am not sure if they bring all that midrange magic I have with the Paravicini's amps, but the overall balance is better with the Avalons.

I had to position the speakers a little closer to the side walls due to the additional energy of the JA50s, that with just 10 more watts than the EAR,, they sound fuller and fleshed-out, with an incredible tone and more jump-factor.

Will I keep them? Not sure yet....a Kronzilla is on its way.

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I will have no problem going back to a Jadis amp, I still use their JPL pre amp. If only those JA200 mono blocks did not blew a cap every so often, I would still be using them. And if that problem can be fixed and controlled, I would actually like to have a 'reunion' with them. :) There is finesse in the highs, and yes, fullness in virtually all areas in the sound spectrum. It could very well have been a thing that I would live with forever. But....

And btw, the amp sounded nicer with a combination of Telefunken and Mullard tubes.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I will have no problem going back to a Jadis amp, I still use their JPL pre amp. If only those JA200 mono blocks did not blew a cap every so often, I would still be using them. And if that problem can be fixed and controlled, I would actually like to have a 'reunion' with them. :) There is finesse in the highs, and yes, fullness in virtually all areas in the sound spectrum. It could very well have been a thing that I would live with forever. But....

And btw, the amp sounded nicer with a combination of Telefunken and Mullard tubes.

I have had some Jadis amps and never had a problem (knocking on wood)...I also have a Jadis MC phono preamp for audition so it will be a busy weekend :)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have previously detailed all the issues I had with the Defy 7 MKII amp. Too many blown output tubes and too many blown cathode resistors.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Sorry to hear that Mark, I just had one Defy 7 but not sure if it was an MK I, II or III. Here is a pic of the current JA50 under evaluation.

securedownload.jpg

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Bring back memories of my Jadis DA88S ... Golden is the word ... Accurate ? who cares ... Glorious ... Yes !!!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
One thing about the Jadis Defy 7 MKII is how beautiful the damn thing is when you see it in person. Pictures don't do it justice. And when it is working correctly, it sounds as beautiful as it looks. Just don't expect a nice, tight, and extended bottom end though.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
One thing about the Jadis Defy 7 MKII is how beautiful the damn thing is when you see it in person. Pictures don't do it justice. And when it is working correctly, it sounds as beautiful as it looks. Just don't expect a nice, tight, and extended bottom end though.

It was hard to keep up with all those KT88 at the Defy, the biasing process is a b***h! The JA series for the contrary is their most refined, simole, pure class A, version - differences are not subtle.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Fernando-You are so right about the biasing procedure. I would love to hear a pair of the JA-60s in my system.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Fernando, do you have an opportunity to try the Jadis 300b's. Not sure if they will work with your speaker's but they are supposed to be the sweet spot of the line. When I heard them at a fellow a'philes, I wold have bought them in a second if they could have driven my speakers ( a no go:( ). A great amp.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Fernando, do you have an opportunity to try the Jadis 300b's. Not sure if they will work with your speaker's but they are supposed to be the sweet spot of the line. When I heard them at a fellow a'philes, I wold have bought them in a second if they could have driven my speakers ( a no go:( ). A great amp.

I would not go there either DaveyF, it won't drive my speakers...but...I heard them last year at a friend's place in Cancun driving.....SF Extremas!!!! with a Muse sub and a dedicated input card that was designed for the Extremas, glorious sound!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am enjoying (again) a pair of Jadis JA50 amps in my system, besides Gryphon and Rowland, Jadis is the company from which I have sourced more amps during this ride of 30+ years in audio.

Compared to my current amp (EAR 861) the JA50s sound fuller, crisper, golden and with more authority in the bass, I am not sure if they bring all that midrange magic I have with the Paravicini's amps, but the overall balance is better with the Avalons.

I had to position the speakers a little closer to the side walls due to the additional energy of the JA50s, that with just 10 more watts than the EAR,, they sound fuller and fleshed-out, with an incredible tone and more jump-factor.

Will I keep them? Not sure yet....a Kronzilla is on its way.

Very nice! I would love to hear from you about the differences between the 2...never heard either.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Very nice! I would love to hear from you about the differences between the 2...never heard either.

I have now like 5 hours on them, listening CDs and LPs alike (no RtR yet), I would say that the Jadis amps are a better match for the Ascents than the EAR, it excels everywhere except maybe some additional colourations that the Jadis amps impose (colourations that I am liking by the way :j ), more alive sounding, bass control and better tone along the spectrum, more attack/decay, better soundstage recreation...the system begs to be ON and playing music. (still in my pijamas since 5AM!)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I have now like 5 hours on them, listening CDs and LPs alike (no RtR yet), I would say that the Jadis amps are a better match for the Ascents than the EAR, it excels everywhere except maybe some additional colourations that the Jadis amps impose (colourations that I am liking by the way :j ), more alive sounding, bass control and better tone along the spectrum, more attack/decay, better soundstage recreation...the system begs to be ON and playing music. (still in my pijamas since 5AM!)

That's what weekends are for! I'm glad the Jadis amps are keeping you enthralled.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am enjoying (again) a pair of Jadis JA50 amps in my system, besides Gryphon and Rowland, Jadis is the company from which I have sourced more amps during this ride of 30+ years in audio. (...)

What preamplifier are you using? IMHO a Jadis power amplifier needs a Jadis preamplifier. I have used the JPL and the JP80MC with other brands with success, but in order to get the best of their power amplifiers you have no other choice!

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

For that you'll need a JA-500.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I would not go there either DaveyF, it won't drive my speakers...but...I heard them last year at a friend's place in Cancun driving.....SF Extremas!!!! with a Muse sub and a dedicated input card that was designed for the Extremas, glorious sound!

Fernando, I cannot imagine how the 300b's could come close to driving Extrema's! If I was considering re-building my system with high efficient speaker's, the Jadis 300b's would be on my short list. Like Peter just said, the JA-500's are also great, only problem is I have heard that they are very unreliable.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
The words "unreliable" and "Jadis" seem to go together, at least with their power amps anyway.

Reactions: Well

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing