Back to Jadis?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
One other thing (and based on the results obtained today...) do tube-ring-dampers work? - I have never tried them....

Try the EAT Tube damper...they are adjustable bigger and smaller...but generally fit the 6922 size. $19 bucks...and incredibly good. I compared them with the stock red rings from CJ...and imho in my system...there was no comparison. EAT Tube damper excellent...red rings 'ok'.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The local dealer has both the JA80 and matching pre anniversary editions, they look and sound terrific to my ears, he shoes them with TOTL Penaudio speakers with great success. My dedicated room is not that large and my speakers (Avalon Ascents) are in a near-field listening position, the JA50 drives them with no issues even for symphonic pieces.

That is interesting...due to a bit of shimmer on the cage of my Zanden PSU (for DAC)...i actually put an HRS damper on top...which is where it vents...i keep about 1/2 the top of the cage free to vent...and the sides of the cage are also perforated for venting. Probably shortening the life of the tubes?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
It will depend on tubes. In my experience 6922/ECC88 almost all the time need the dampers, 12AX7/ECC83 also improve with it. Most 6H30's do not need them, but in a few of them it makes a difference. I think ARC uses the double rings most of the time just in case they become necessary during tube life, as sometimes tubes become microphonic in their normal lifetime. My microphony tests are carried with an audio spectrometer and two different rubber mallets.

Interesting...I did not use tube rings on the CJ ACT 2 (6H30P) as they seemed not to be changed by damping, but find them very useful on CJ GAT (6922)...i have since changed to EAT Tube dampers on CJ GAT from the stock red rings.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I had some friends at home a week ago, and helped me fine-tune speaker placement to maximize the Jadis JA50 additional energy vs my late EAR amp, we endedup at almost 3.5 inches of additional separation (closer to side walls) and less toe-in (just a tad) - now the musical event happens all behind the speaker line, instruments are fully integrated, bass registers come from a solid black background (not the cones) but most importantly, it all fits¡ Classical, Rock, etc....

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Yes you are but those T-1610 are mucho mucho expensive $2,500.00 US matched pair BUT i was told that they last a long time. :)

Kronzilla SX-1 Integrated Amplifier.jpg KR Audio T-1610 Tube - 01.jpg KR Audio T-1610 Tube - 02.jpg

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Try the EAT Tube damper...they are adjustable bigger and smaller...but generally fit the 6922 size. $19 bucks...and incredibly good. I compared them with the stock red rings from CJ...and imho in my system...there was no comparison. EAT Tube damper excellent...red rings 'ok'.

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/haloiii.htm

Cool Damper by EAT (Euro Audio Team): Herbie's Audio Lab has tested this fine-looking tube damper and found it to be a bust. These dampers reduce tube microphonics, but the sonic result is poor. Lower midrange frequencies are bland; acute dynamics tend to be "rounded" without energetic attack and decay; high frequencies are well-represented, but lack many of the intangibles that give a sense of live performance. As coolers, they fare even worse. Although the damper appears to be designed as a heat sink, the thermally conductive interface between the glass bulb and aluminum fins is woefully inadequate for the device to function as such.

(test results)

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Cool Damper by EAT (Euro Audio Team): Herbie's Audio Lab has tested this fine-looking tube damper and found it to be a bust. These dampers reduce tube microphonics, but the sonic result is poor. Lower midrange frequencies are bland; acute dynamics tend to be "rounded" without energetic attack and decay; high frequencies are well-represented, but lack many of the intangibles that give a sense of live performance. As coolers, they fare even worse. Although the damper appears to be designed as a heat sink, the thermally conductive interface between the glass bulb and aluminum fins is woefully inadequate for the device to function as such.

(test results)

Interesting and good to know. I have heard good things about Herbie's. I admit a bit of caution when one competitor shows bad results of a competing product that has apparently had good commercial success. Nevertheless, i have heard about the cooling thing...in my case, i needed something to tame microphonics, and these were available from my dealer. I put them in and the microphonics went away...the signal 'density' improved which i liked.

I also found with very 'hard' sounding tubes, by 'stilling the image/signal' or whatever dampers do, it allowed me to enjoy the very strict, powerful though less nuanced traits of the hard sounding tube. Whereas without the EAT tube damper, i got power, an in-your-face quality that somehow felt rough. And that did not work for me...that roughness felt like shimmer and with the damper it seemed to shimmer less.

In any event, I have read excellent things about Herbie's...if i ever get a chance to listen to them, i will pop them in and see.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Interesting and good to know. I have heard good things about Herbie's. I admit a bit of caution when one competitor shows bad results of a competing product that has apparently had good commercial success. Nevertheless, i have heard about the cooling thing...in my case, i needed something to tame microphonics, and these were available from my dealer. I put them in and the microphonics went away...the signal 'density' improved which i liked.

I also found with very 'hard' sounding tubes, by 'stilling the image/signal' or whatever dampers do, it allowed me to enjoy the very strict, powerful though less nuanced traits of the hard sounding tube. Whereas without the EAT tube damper, i got power, an in-your-face quality that somehow felt rough. And that did not work for me...that roughness felt like shimmer and with the damper it seemed to shimmer less.

In any event, I have read excellent things about Herbie's...if i ever get a chance to listen to them, i will pop them in and see.

The Art of " How to post a balanced reply "

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

The Art of " How to post a balanced reply "

Perhaps the nicest person on the already very-nice-persons-ladden WBF.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

(test results)

This post should include a reference that the comment is made by a competitor under very specific conditions and and that the tests were carried in a single amplifier using a single type of tubes, that is not representative of modern tube amplifiers as an whole. IMHO the whole comparison represents poor service to the tweak community. The only type of fair comment a manufacturer should offer on other people devices is "please try it again our competitor X" and listen to Y and Z sound qualities. I own several of the other products, such as the Absorb-Gel (Allnic) and find they completely misrepresented in the comparison. BTW, I also own Herbie's dampers. Anyway I would consider my opinions on these devices to be too equipment and system specific to be considered as recommendations or advice.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
I will have no problem going back to a Jadis amp, I still use their JPL pre amp. If only those JA200 mono blocks did not blew a cap every so often, I would still be using them. And if that problem can be fixed and controlled, I would actually like to have a 'reunion' with them. :) There is finesse in the highs, and yes, fullness in virtually all areas in the sound spectrum. It could very well have been a thing that I would live with forever. But....

And btw, the amp sounded nicer with a combination of Telefunken and Mullard tubes.

Hi Phil
Which speakers were you driving with the JA200 ? Any reports on how the new 200 mkiii versions are doing in the reliability department . Have you by any chance heard the latest version by any chance.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Phil
Which speakers were you driving with the JA200 ? Any reports on how the new 200 mkiii versions are doing in the reliability department . Have you by any chance heard the latest version by any chance.

Hi Jazzhead,

I used the 200s to drive my B&W 800 matrix, the ones with triangular bass enclosures. And later on my Maggies 2.7 Q R. So far I haven't read anything about the mark 3 version nor heard them. Somehow the brand totally went quiet in this country. But I believe they now cost much much more in retail price.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Sadly I have owned 4 Jadis products--two of them Amps that failed --the Tech who serviced them added the following comments

- or you could defy logic and make an amp like this one.

There's no nice way to say it... This thing has issues.

I hope the new Jadis products have "fixed" some reliability problems as the brand is capable of delivering fine sonic bliss

BruceD

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Sadly I have owned 4 Jadis products--two of them Amps that failed --the Tech who serviced them added the following comments

- or you could defy logic and make an amp like this one.

There's no nice way to say it... This thing has issues.

I hope the new Jadis products have "fixed" some reliability problems as the brand is capable of delivering fine sonic bliss

BruceD

Sir you are right, Jadis products are capable of sonic bliss BUT they do have reliability problems, my friend Elrocco has had many problems with his JS-1 MK3 d/a converter BUT when he changed is d/a converter he bought the Jadis JS-1 MK4 yes he does like it that much.:)

Claude 02.jpg

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Sir you are right, Jadis products are capable of sonic bliss BUT they do have reliability problems, my friend Elrocco has had many problems with his JS-1 MK3 d/a converter BUT when he changed is d/a converter he bought the Jadis JS-1 MK4 yes he does like it that much.:)

View attachment 19084

Hi Mr A, Yes I have owned the JD1/JS1 combo--the DAC was sublime and so musical in it's presentation --I had 2 versions and had no bother with either -it was the Amps unfortunately.

The late Jerry Ozment designed the superb JS1's--a product that showed that Bitstream is not the ogre some Techies make it out--ha!;)

BruceD

Lovely system your friend has there-- I spy the Zanden Player?--I happen to own the SF Guarneri's as well

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
I heard that amp recently in my own system and was very taken with it. The person who brought it over is in the process of convincing himself that he doesn't like it, and if he decides to sell I'll be first in the queue.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing