Integration of A/V into 2-channel

zydeco

Oct 16, 2010
WA, Australia
I’m not sure if this is the correct forum – as I’m interested in 2-channel – but think the answer might be an A/V processor. My current set-up involves several A/V sources (i.e., Apple TV, TiVo, DVD) connected via HDMI to a TV with a Harmony One remote managing input selection. I’ve then got a separate, co-located, 2-channel speaker system that has dedicated music server with on-board room / speaker EQ into a stereo pre-amplifier. I’m now looking to integrate the systems to take advantage of the sound of the 2-channel speaker system after help. My requirements are:

• a) Music portion of the system must be at least maintained (or improved)
  • b) Simple to use – specifically selection of A/V inputs must be very simple
  • c) Potential to expand the number of A/V inputs over time – probably HDMI inputs
  • d) Preference, but not a strict requirement for, a room EQ on the audio part of A/V

There are, I guess, a few basic design options to consider against the above requirements:

• 1. Continue with all A/V sources routed via HDMI to TV with the analogue out of the TV then used to input into the 2-channel pre-amp. My issue is that it’s not simple to use (as I’d have to mute the TV) and there is no option for digital EQ.
  • 2. Continue with all A/V sources routed via HDMI to TV but with their S/PDIF output routed to 2-channel DAC connected to pre-amp. Again this seems hard to use as I can see audio / video getting onto different inputs and the TV would be muted.
  • 3. Build a HTPC that has HDMI inputs with the video out sent via HDMI to TV and analogue output sent to the 2-channel pre-amp. This option is attractive but again would seem to fail on b).
  • 4. An A/V pre-amplifier that is used for all the A/V sources – with a video routed to a single HDMI input on the TV and audio routed to the 2-channel pre-amp. This option could meet all requirements (able to default the pre-amp input).
    [*] 4.1. A/V processor or receiver – meets all requirements (a-d)
    [*] 4.2. A/V stereo pre-amp; e.g., NAD M51 – limited inputs and no EQ
    [*] 4.3. Replace DVD with Oppo 105 – limited inputs and no EQ​
It seems that the most appropriate solution is Option 4 – specifically, an A/V processor (4.1) or an A/V stereo pre-amplifier (4.2) if EQ isn’t good on the A/V processors. That said, I know almost nothing about A/V processors:

• Can A/V processor pass video only via HDMI (with audio via analogue output)?
  • How good are the in-built EQ solutions provided as part of A/V processors?
  • What brands / models of A/V processors are appropriate for my requirements?
  • And are there alternatives to the NAD M51 as an “A/V stereo pre-amplifier?

Thanks in advance
Zydeco

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
It seems that the most appropriate solution is Option 4 – specifically, an A/V processor (4.1) or an A/V stereo pre-amplifier (4.2) if EQ isn’t good on the A/V processors. That said, I know almost nothing about A/V processors:

[1]Can A/V processor pass video only via HDMI (with audio via analogue output)?
[2]How good are the in-built EQ solutions provided as part of A/V processors?
[3]What brands / models of A/V processors are appropriate for my requirements?
[3]And are there alternatives to the NAD M51 as an “A/V stereo pre-amplifier?

1 Definitely.
2 They vary. Depends on budget but, among the more readily available, Audyssey XT32 (with Pro option) is the best. For more $$$$, you can get ones with Trinnov or Dirac.
3 Marantz 8801 or Integra 80.3 or go all the way to the DataSat (Dirac) or ADA (Trinnov).
4 Dunno. BTW, the NAD has a different array of inputs/features from AVRs or AV processors.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- Kal just said it above.

* Personally I'm using the Integra DHC-80.3 Surround Sound Processor, and the Oppo BDP-103 in my own multichannel music/cinema system.
...Very happy with both, but wish I went with the Oppo BDP-105 instead. ...But that's ok, I used the $700 difference towards the purchase of several Blu-ray Music concerts and Movies.

- The Marantz AV8801 pre/pro is another excellent choice, also with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (and Pro Ready).
For less $$$$ (street) the Integra is the better choice for value, IMO. ...And I also love its ergonomics (easy to follow menu setups and all that jazz).

Cheers,
Bob

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing