favorite country & western albums

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
A couple of my favorites...

Wanted, The Outlaws Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Jessi Colter, Tompall Glaser
Pieces of the Sky Emmylou Harris

Husk

Member Sponsor
Apr 20, 2010
Spokane, Wa.
The best 2 C and W CD's of the year sofar for me are Old Yellow Moon by Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell and Living for A Song by Jamie Johnson. Great stuff.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
In addition to a lot of the stuff mentioned here, some recent ones:

Jamey Johnson -- The Guitar Song
Buddy and Julie Miller - Written in Chalk

Fave Lucinda Williams album has always been 'Essence'. Tuneful, emotionally tough.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
i listened to the newly released 200g vinyl of Patsy Cline's greatest hits over the weekend, its supposedly cut directly from tape with no eq, limiting, etc. its purported to be the closest to master tape possible. hype aside the LP sounds superb and the music is timeless to boot. the hybrid SACD will be released next month.

Attachments

• patsy.jpg
    patsy.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 93

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Couple recent releases to add to the list

Kacey Musgraves "Same Trailer, Different Park"
On first listen, some of the songs seem a little lightweight, but this one grows on you with repeated listens. This is a very good recording although her voice is a little recessed on a couple of tracks.

Jamey Johnson "Living For A Song"
Took me a couple tries to get a flat pressing, but well worth it. Wonderful tribute LP of Hank Cochran tunes. Highly recommended and very well recorded.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
got living for a song i'll check out the Kacey Musgraves, thanks for the recos.

These are some of my recent additions with great sonics and accessible music, 1st press vinyl:

Merle Haggard - Songs for the mama that tried
Dolly Parton - 9 to 5 and odd jobs
Waylon Jennings - honky tonk heroes
Emmylou Harris - roses in the snow
willie Nelson - always on my mind (CBS 1/2 speed)
The Lost Notebooks of Hank wiliams - various artist (probably digital, well recorded demo quality vocals)

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Blue Country Heart - Jorma Kaukonen
Milk Cow Blues - Willie Nelson & friends

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Couple recent releases to add to the list

Kacey Musgraves "Same Trailer, Different Park"
On first listen, some of the songs seem a little lightweight, but this one grows on you with repeated listens. This is a very good recording although her voice is a little recessed on a couple of tracks.

Jamey Johnson "Living For A Song"
Took me a couple tries to get a flat pressing, but well worth it. Wonderful tribute LP of Hank Cochran tunes. Highly recommended and very well recorded.

+1 on both

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing