What I'd Buy: Digital Source Components

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Jeff one interesting consideration for the future is Rovi.
This works amazingly well on the Naim network servers (n-stream) and provides a way for a listener to find various information on the fly relating to the stored music being played.
More products really need to look at adding this functionality IMO, appreciate some others may already use this.
http://www.naimaudio.com/hifi-products/pdt-type/n-stream
The information Rovi provides when fully implemented by a manufacturer adds the personal touch that is missing from the usual digital downloads, including all information one would like about the music being played and also other suggestions.

And no Cambridge Audio 851C in your list bah :) - smiling as you will never please everyone.
Cheers
Orb

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
I guess Jeff you don't have much music? I just checked the specs for the Air and it tops out at half a terabyte in its SSD. Assuming you only had RBCD stored in FLAC that would equate to around 1500 disks. I'd not want to rely on an SSD as my main store of music, old fashioned HDDs are considerably more reliable longer-term.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Interesting read including the comments which have followed. I have decided to focus on the best redbook i can, since nearly everything i own (particularly at an avg 3 bucks/album) is Redbook. I have listened on a number of SACDs vs CDs to learn...and generally found the remastering job more influential than the format.

On the computer bit, i have been a long, long fan of going with a DAC, when nearly every designer was solidly doing 1-unit CD players (back in '06). I managed to pick up a 2nd hand Zanden DAC at the time, waiting for the day i could get an easy-to-use, easy-to-set up (for me), server. After 5-7 years of waiting, searching for a server to run with my DAC (after many who originally thought i was nuts in '06 finally started to agree with my original decision)...i finally went out (and went 'backwards!' ;) ) and managed to trade in my older Zanden DAC for a latest spec 4-box Zanden Ref Transport/DAC (2nd hand).

Took 5 years to find the right one at the right price and the right time. But its done, and i am stunned (even after hearing the Metronome Kalista Ref) how good this sounds. So much for 5-7 years of searching for the server...for now anyway. But hey, for a non-techie, just drop the CD and push play...easy.

In this regard, i have somewhat sealed my fate to stay with CD redbook for some time to come, but i am perfectly happy with this...and i still get to put my Oppo (movies only now, no longer transport duty) thru the DAC, along with a server (some day). Just enjoying my CDs and continue to buy them for 50cents to a few bucks each 2nd hand on Amazon. And with the revival of some of these Analogue Production Remasters, etc...there is a new wave of albums which are incredibly good-sounding coming out on redbook too. One man's way.

Last edited:

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Congratulations, Lloyd, on your latest acquisition. I'm sure you'll have a great time with this latest combo.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congratulations, Lloyd, on your latest acquisition. I'm sure you'll have a great time with this latest combo.

Thanks...enjoying it immensely. I have just found a second hand HRS M3 platform and will try it under the transport which already has multiple layers of isolation...acrylic then aluminum then acrylic, then aluminum again, steel feet with felt, etc...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) On the computer bit, i have been a long, long fan of going with a DAC, when nearly every designer was solidly doing 1-unit CD players (back in '06). I managed to pick up a 2nd hand Zanden DAC at the time, waiting for the day i could get an easy-to-use, easy-to-set up (for me), server. After 5-7 years of waiting, searching for a server to run with my DAC (after many who originally thought i was nuts in '06 finally started to agree with my original decision)...i finally went out (and went 'backwards!' ;) ) and managed to trade in my older Zanden DAC for a latest spec 4-box Zanden Ref Transport/DAC (2nd hand).

(...)

Lloyd,
If you went in the direction of enjoying your music it was not surely a backward step! Don't you feel tempted to try an all Zanden system?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd,
If you went in the direction of enjoying your music it was not surely a backward step! Don't you feel tempted to try an all Zanden system?

Hi Microstrip,

Yes, for me and my tastes, i agree completely..full Zanden digital not a step backwards. A huge step forward.

As for an all-Zanden system, i was very close to considering the Zanden monos. After much discussing with owners and reviewers whom i know...i decided to keep that on hold for now. The reason is that while they would probably be magic with the Wilson X1s (i have been told by a few people the demo with Q7 and Zanden monos in Amsterdam was breathtaking)...i think if i ever went to Rockport Arrakis...i would need to keep my Gryphon. Not just for synergy since those speakers are 'voiced' to a degree with Gryphon, and certainly Rockport like them with their speakers as evidenced by their own HQ...but also just purely for the power requirement of the Arrakis. Plus, i love the Gryphon in any event and really have not been inspired to look much further into the Zanden monos.

As for the Zanden pre, many love it...i was advised by a dealer whom i approached about the Zanden, Shindo and Wavac preamps...to go with my other top choice...the CJ GAT. Given that he sold those 3 but not the GAT, i thought that was incredibly honest of him. Having loved CJ for over 10 years, i am pleased with my choice and have no desire to investigate further there either. Thus an all-Zanden system would be absolutely magic to hear...but i suspect not in the cards for me.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Hi Microstrip,

Yes, for me and my tastes, i agree completely..full Zanden digital not a step backwards. A huge step forward.

As for an all-Zanden system, i was very close to considering the Zanden monos. After much discussing with owners and reviewers whom i know...i decided to keep that on hold for now. The reason is that while they would probably be magic with the Wilson X1s (i have been told by a few people the demo with Q7 and Zanden monos in Amsterdam was breathtaking)...i think if i ever went to Rockport Arrakis...i would need to keep my Gryphon. Not just for synergy since those speakers are 'voiced' to a degree with Gryphon, and certainly Rockport like them with their speakers as evidenced by their own HQ...but also just purely for the power requirement of the Arrakis. Plus, i love the Gryphon in any event and really have not been inspired to look much further into the Zanden monos.

As for the Zanden pre, many love it...i was advised by a dealer whom i approached about the Zanden, Shindo and Wavac preamps...to go with my other top choice...the CJ GAT. Given that he sold those 3 but not the GAT, i thought that was incredibly honest of him. Having loved CJ for over 10 years, i am pleased with my choice and have no desire to investigate further there either. Thus an all-Zanden system would be absolutely magic to hear...but i suspect not in the cards for me.

Love the planning and thought process ... A big congrats on your new front -end . Enjoy them in good health .

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Love the planning and thought process ... A big congrats on your new front -end . Enjoy them in good health .

Thanks! Saw your question on Gigawatt on Mephisto threas...will try to find out as well.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Well, to bring Digital and analog back together (sort of)...i just got a second hand HRS M3 isolation platform under my Zanden transport...i admit to being shocked. i was hoping for something good, but i am still trying to understand what has happened to the system...only just started playing discs. I suppose there are some big similarities between a turntable and a transport from a vibration standpoint. More to come once i've tried a few more albums...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm waiting (trying to do so patiently) for LH's The Source server. In the meantime my MBP will have to do. For CD only playback the Tentation is keeping me very happy.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well, to bring Digital and analog back together (sort of)...i just got a second hand HRS M3 isolation platform under my Zanden transport...i admit to being shocked. i was hoping for something good, but i am still trying to understand what has happened to the system...only just started playing discs. I suppose there are some big similarities between a turntable and a transport from a vibration standpoint. More to come once i've tried a few more albums...

Well for anybody whose curious...here's my take on HRS M3 under the Zanden Transport:

- Zanden is aluminum or steel feet with felt to thick acrylic to alumium to thick acrylic to aluminum again. To be honest, its exceptional inert when you tap it...it feels very intert and when you push play there is no vibration on even the button let alone the spinning...you feel nothing when its spinning from the outside and hear nothing
- So the M3 is not a must have
- As i have flipped from Rodriguo y Gabriela to Police Remastered to Faithless (electronic house...sort of)...my best description is its kinda like the formula they gave Captain American in the movie...it amplifies whatever qualities you have...good becomes great, bad becomes horrific.

In the case of the Zanden, the Zanden sound took me surprise and did NOT change. But as i listened to tracks i knew well, what elements of the Zanden i love (its ability to deliver contrapuntal and multiple musical themes all at once so you understand how each instrument is actually play off one another, its purity of tone)...became more evident.

Its rather subtle in some respects, because the voice has not changed one bit...not one.

But its also something i really dont feel like removing from under the Zanden, because i know that it will go to being 85% of the Zanden it was. maybe more...certainly 75% on Rodriguo y Gabriela where the music was so different it seemed like a different version of the same album. mainly because i could hear different musical themes going on whcih for some reason i did not get before...the rhythms when one player is striking the body of the guitar while the other is blazing out a fast string of notes were actually in a particular synchopation.

I am starting to chalk up this component to a, "if you've worke out your system to the voice you like, and really want to top it off...this will become one of those things you dont HAVE to have...but you wont give up once you do." The voice of the equipment with the HRS M3 is the same...identical...just purer, more of what that voice has always been. Less 'signal interference' and more signal if that makes any sense.

Preliminary real time notes...still evaluating.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I'm waiting (trying to do so patiently) for LH's The Source server. In the meantime my MBP will have to do. For CD only playback the Tentation is keeping me very happy.

Hi Jack...tell us about the LH Server!

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Well for anybody whose curious...here's my take on HRS M3 under the Zanden Transport:

Preliminary real time notes...still evaluating.

Any plans to try the Stillpoints U5 under the transport ?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Any plans to try the Stillpoints U5 under the transport ?

Hi Jazzhead...interesting that you should ask. I am going to try Ultra Vs but not under the Transport. I have tried regular Ultras under Audio aero La Source and found tremendous improvement...i tried them under my little Oppo...nothing. the HRS nimbus couplers were better. I learned afterwards that heavier products tend to work better for Stillpoints Ultras and Ultra Vs. Given that Ultra Vs literally have 5 times more of the absorption materials than Ultras...and the fact that Ultras in general were first designed for speakers...particularly heavy ones...i dont think the 13kg/29lb transport is the place of them.

I actually intend to try them under my Wilson X1s. Having heard what an Auralex subwoofer isolation platform did for my Velodyne DD18...i am most curious to hear what the Ultra Vs do under the X1s...i have been advised if i audition them...i will be keeping them. we shall see!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing