MC cart reco needed for the Technics SL1200

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
I have just acquired a DartZ NHB 18NS preamp as I want to add an an analogue source to my setup and get back into vinyl.

I will use my technics SL1200mk2 turntable for the time being and later on move to something proper.

I am looking for a decent MC cart to use with this turntable/tonearm until I upgrade the table (and then also the cart).

Does anyone have any recommendations? I would like something under 200 USD$.

Ideally as neutral, resolving and extended as I can find in this price class.

Appreciate any suggestions!

Technics-SL1200-MK5.jpg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations on the NHB18NS - an excellent preamplifier. Do you have the MC or MM phono module?

BTW, the more neutral cartridges I have owned were the van dan Hul's. I own a Sumiko Palo Santos and a vdH Black Beauty and find the vdH more neutral, but the PS more dramatic and dynamic.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Thanks guys. Micro, I understand the 18NS has both MM and MC capability built in, you need to re-solder a switch inside the preamp to enable one or the other. It is currently set to MC and therefore the interest in a MC cart. I will likely stick to MC in the future as I upgrade so I don't feel like messing around with a soldering iron to use a good cost effective MM cart like lets say the ortofon 2M red.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
dcc - thanks for the suggestions, will these work with the s-shape arm (which i understand is a medium mass design)? Or is that not so critical, will most MC carts work with this table?

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
Long time ago, I had an Eroica on a SME 3009 and it worked great compared to the Shure V15VX it replaced. It should not be an issue. I guess it won't be that long until you will be wondering about moving to a stone body:)

Last edited:

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Every MC type I've ever heard on that turntable/arm combo smeared & seemingly compressed the higher freq.

I'd consider a less extended type cartridge, like a Shure 97.

tb1

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Very interesting... thanks for the advice. The shure M97xE seems to be an MM cart though. I think I will go for the Ortofon Vivo Red as this should work well for the time being and is not too expensive for now.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Very interesting... thanks for the advice. The shure M97xE seems to be an MM cart though. I think I will go for the Ortofon Vivo Red as this should work well for the time being and is not too expensive for now.

Yep. I love it when you ask for explicit advise on something (in this case MC cartridges) and someone pipes in with exactly what you weren't looking for. Kind of like if I asked you what your favorite apple is and you replied with how much you like navel oranges.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Yep. I love it when you ask for explicit advise on something (in this case MC cartridges) and someone pipes in with exactly what you weren't looking for. Kind of like if I asked you what your favorite apple is and you replied with how much you like navel oranges.

The point I tried to make, which you obviously couldn't comprehend, is that no MC cart does the highs well on that machine, so perhaps a 97 would be the best choice. I think the original poster understood that, but you, well ... ?

tb1

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The point I tried to make, which you obviously couldn't comprehend, is that no MC cart does the highs well on that machine, so perhaps a 97 would be the best choice. I think the original poster understood that, but you, well ... ?

tb1

Can you expand on that? A friend of mine just picked up an SL-1200MK2 and he asked me about an inexpensive cartridge, to which I suggested the 97.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I got your point hambone, but you missed mine. He wanted to know what MC would go with his table and you offered up a MM cartridge. Again, apples and car tires.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I got your point hambone, but you missed mine. He wanted to know what MC would go with his table and you offered up a MM cartridge. Again, apples and car tires.

It's beyond obvious what he was asking for, and it's beyond obvious that I knew exactly THAT, although I "contributed" with a different perspective. That's not in question, it's too obvious to be questioned, what is in question is why you contribute your silly comment (hambone?)

tb1

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Can you expand on that? A friend of mine just picked up an SL-1200MK2 and he asked me about an inexpensive cartridge, to which I suggested the 97.

John, I've got a fair amount of experience with the 1200, stock units, KAB models, many different carts, and other modified versions. I can supply LP-CDR of various versions. Yet, the only MC versions that I've heard that seemed to open up the high frequencies instead of making 'em sound compressed, smeared and muffled, were versions which included a different arm.

In every case, I had issues with the higher freq. with ANY MC based cart on a Technics arm. Therefore. although I've not heard every MC alternative on a T1200 arm, I've heard enough to arrive at a general (but not absolute) conclusion that spending money on a MC cart might be a waste here, therefore I recommend using a cartridge like the 97 as a stop-gap, it rolls-off the highs, and personally, I prefer this type of response to a "bright/edgy" alternative.

However, it's not my choice, and in ONE silly way, I regret my contribution here.

tb1

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thanks guys. Micro, I understand the 18NS has both MM and MC capability built in, you need to re-solder a switch inside the preamp to enable one or the other. It is currently set to MC and therefore the interest in a MC cart. I will likely stick to MC in the future as I upgrade so I don't feel like messing around with a soldering iron to use a good cost effective MM cart like lets say the ortofon 2M red.

AudioExplorations,

If by any reason you want to change the solder links remember to use a precision soldering iron with a very thin tip and some solder wick to remove any existing bridge. Do not heat the board directly - you will easily overheat it and damage the pads. I like a lot the Chemtronics Soder Wick.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
John, I've got a fair amount of experience with the 1200, stock units, KAB models, many different carts, and other modified versions. I can supply LP-CDR of various versions. Yet, the only MC versions that I've heard that seemed to open up the high frequencies instead of making 'em sound compressed, smeared and muffled, were versions which included a different arm.

In every case, I had issues with the higher freq. with ANY MC based cart on a Technics arm. Therefore. although I've not heard every MC alternative on a T1200 arm, I've heard enough to arrive at a general (but not absolute) conclusion that spending money on a MC cart might be a waste here, therefore I recommend using a cartridge like the 97 as a stop-gap, it rolls-off the highs, and personally, I prefer this type of response to a "bright/edgy" alternative.

However, it's not my choice, and in ONE silly way, I regret my contribution here.

tb1

Are you really saying that the Technics arm that comes with the 1200 causes all cartridges to sound bright and edgy and you need to install a cartridge that rolls off the highs in order to enjoy the setup? And I don't know the answer to this question since I never owned a 1200 turntable. It was never on my radar.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
mep - yes thats what he said, see post #7

micro - thanks for the advice, but i do not trust myself enough to take a soldering iron to the preamp, i will go straight to MC and live with smeared highs for the time being until i upgrade the TT.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Are you really saying that the Technics arm that comes with the 1200 causes all cartridges to sound bright and edgy and you need to install a cartridge that rolls off the highs in order to enjoy the setup? And I don't know the answer to this question since I never owned a 1200 turntable. It was never on my radar.

Meepy, if you don't "know the answer to this question" and it's not on your "radar" ... then why you asking?

tb1

tb1

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I see we have 2 new members here ''''Hambone" and "Meepy". Welcome guys!:D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing