MC cart reco needed for the Technics SL1200

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Meepy, if you don't "know the answer to this question" and it's not on your "radar" ... then why you asking?

tb1

tb1

Because ham slice, the OP asked for recommendations for using a MC with his table and there are lots of good budget MC cartridges around. Your on record as stating that the tonearm that comes with the 1200 is incapable of sounding good with a MC cartridge which surprises me as I never heard of a tonearm that should strictly be used with MM cartridges. I'm still trying to figure out if this is strictly your opinion or if you are correct and all MC cartridges are incompatible with the arm on the 1200. And if someone else chimes in here and says that ham slice is full of baloney and they have used XYZ MC cartridge with great results, I could give the guy a few recommendations on cheap MC cartridges that sound good. If someone asks me where to get a great cheeseburger, I don't try to steer them to a fish and chips shop.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I'm still trying to figure out if this is strictly your opinion or if you are correct and all MC cartridges are incompatible with the arm on the 1200. And if someone else chimes in here and says that ham slice is full of baloney and they have used XYZ MC cartridge with great results, I could give the guy a few recommendations on cheap MC cartridges that sound good.

Of course it's my opinion Twitty. You do realize that one not need look far to find someone who thinks the world of his 1200 using any fine MC? Hell, I can supply you with those links if need be. That would represent "there" opinions.

Either way, we (in this case, we = those with actually T1200 experience) are entitled to share our "opinions", even if they are opposed. You however, who just admitted you'd blindly recommend a cartridge based on hearsay, have NO actual knowledge.

So why you here?

tb1

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Of course it's my opinion Twitty. You do realize that one not need look far to find someone who thinks the world of his 1200 using any fine MC? Hell, I can supply you with those links if need be. That would represent "there" opinions.

Actually, it would represent "their" opinions. So your opinion is "better" than all of the opinions of other people who own 1200 tables and think MC cartridges sound great with the arm and you can even provide me with links to their statements?

Either way, we (in this case, we = those with actually T1200 experience) are entitled to share our "opinions", even if they are opposed. You however, who just admitted you'd blindly recommend a cartridge based on hearsay, have NO actual knowledge.

So why you here?

tb1

Of course you are entitled to share your opinion of what you think works best in the 1200 arm. I was just curious as to what other people thought and whether I could look at the mass of the arm and recommend a cheap MC cartridge that should mate well with it or if everyone was in agreement with you.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Actually, it would represent "their" opinions. So your opinion is "better" than all of the opinions of other people who own 1200 tables and think MC cartridges sound great with the arm and you can even provide me with links to their statements?

Twitty, I NEVER said my advice is "better", I simply stated an educated "opinion" based on experience.

You, however, don't have any such knowledge or experience with this particular subject matter. Yet your prepared to provide "advice" based on hearsay.

Of course you are entitled to share your opinion of what you think works best in the 1200 arm. I was just curious as to what other people thought and whether I could look at the mass of the arm and recommend a cheap MC cartridge that should mate well with it or if everyone was in agreement with you.

Again, my opinion within this matter is based on ACTUAL experience, you admittedly have no such experience, yet for some silly reason you "think" you can contribute towards this discussion based on the mass of the arm - as if that's suddenly the only criteria when matching a MC cart to any arm.

More experienced audiophiles would call that "kind" of advice ... well ...

tb1

mep

Apr 20, 2010
You are right ham slice, I freely admitted that I have no experience with owning the 1200 arm and table. I never pretend that I have knowledge and experience with items that I clearly don't. And yes, normally if you know what the mass of a tonearm is, you can reasonably predict what cartridges will work with the arm. And I agree that personal experience with a given arm and cartridge is better than looking at the specs of an arm and cartridge and giving your opinion.

In this case, we are talking about a cheap table and arm combo and a recommendation for a cheap MC cartridge. That's why I wasn't getting lathered up about it.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I never pretend that I have knowledge and experience with items that I clearly don't.

Well, considering you have no experience with the ACTUAL subject matter at hand, but yet, you admittedly waited for hearsay in order to provide "advice", your above contention seems ...

tb1

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I wasn't waiting for "hearsay," but I was waiting to hear from people with actual experience using MC cartridges in the 1200 table/arm. That is a big difference. Much different than "I have a friend who has a friend who heard from his friend that XYZ MC cartridge sounds great in the 1200 table."

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I wasn't waiting for "hearsay," but I was waiting to hear from people with actual experience using MC cartridges in the 1200 table/arm.

Again, since you obviously couldn't add any form of actuality towards this discussion, I asked you why you were here, and you replied ...

And if someone else chimes in here and says that ham slice is full of baloney and they have used XYZ MC cartridge with great results, I could give the guy a few recommendations on cheap MC cartridges that sound good. If someone asks me where to get a great cheeseburger, I don't try to steer them to a fish and chips shop.

Sounds like a typical fish story to me ... considering you've already admitted you were waiting for someone/hearsay to base your unacknowledged advice on.

tb1

mep

Apr 20, 2010
You are obviously digging for digs here. I clearly stated I wasn't looking for hearsay, but actual user comments from people who own the table/arm in question and have used MC cartridges with it and disagreed with your opinion that only a MM cartridge would work with this combo. I hope you can see the difference as it's pretty vast. I'm tired of wrestling around in the mud with pigs ham slice. Even if you can catch them and pin them, you still get muddy.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
You are obviously digging for digs here.

You started this line of questioning Twitty. It was you who questioned my post without having any subject matter knowledge of your own. It was you who admitted he was looking for alternative opinions to base his advice on. And it was you who insinuated "better" when that was never implied. You are correct about one thing though, the difference between a pretender and someone with actual knowledge is VAST.

Even if you can catch them and pin them, you still get muddy.

Well, perhaps in this case, the pig got dirty pinning you.

tb1

Last edited:

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I have heard a Benz and a Ortofon mc cartridge on the 1200 . It wasn't state of the art but very pleasing.

I was never much of a stock T1200 fan, with any cart, until I heard a KAB modded / Rega armed unit that was well refined. David Price, formally of Hi-Fi World, wrote a good review of a Timestep / SME modded 1200 that I thought very interesting.

tb1

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Guys, please be more professional. We hold ourselves to a higher standard here. If you are getting too emotions, stop posting and go and listen to some music instead of going after the other person.....

Snoop65

Apr 19, 2012
A galaxy far far away
Beyond it's intended purpose I'm not a 1200 fan neither. For me within it's limits and understanding it's not a audiophile table I think it can be pretty pleasing. Just my opinion.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing