Sonus Faber Aida vs Magico Q5

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
I'm in the market for new speakers after having recently sold my Stradivari's. The two leading contenders are a nice used pair of Aida's or a new pair of Magico Q5's. A friend of mine has checked the Aida's out and he said they are in great shape....as you would hope and expect.

I would like to get some opinions from folks who have heard the Aida's and Q5's. I have been talking to Microstrip and I know he loves his Aida's.

Mike

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
It will depend on the amplifier. I would consider the Magico with an Ypsilon Aelius or the Aida with a Kronzilla DXL or Dan'D monoblocker.

Or the Wilson Alexia with either of the above amps.

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
I have the Pass XA160.5's and the ARC REF 10 preamp (an amazing synergy IMO). I definitely would love a pair of Dan's amps.

I heard the Aida's with the REF 250's on the mid/highs and the DS450M's on the bottom with the REF 10 was an incredible combo.

Mike

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have the Pass XA160.5's and the ARC REF 10 preamp (an amazing synergy IMO). I definitely would love a pair of Dan's amps.

I heard the Aida's with the REF 250's on the mid/highs and the DS450M's on the bottom with the REF 10 was an incredible combo.

Mike

There is a great synergy with the Wilson's and Pass. I would like to try the ARC Ref preamps though....

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Mike

You might need to get new amps if you get the Q5s. They are power hungry beasts. :(

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
You might need to get new amps if you get the Q5s. They are power hungry beasts. :(

I know - that is something that concerns me. I really do like my Pass amps....a lot - except they are hot as heck. But there really is something with the ARC/Pass synergy.

Mike

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I really like Pass XA series amplifiers and ARC Ref series preamps. I've never heard them in the same system but yeah, I can imagine that they would work very well together.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 874

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
--(-.-(- Nicro, you own a pair of 'SF' Aidas right. ...Which color wood finish?

Red violin, the more beautiful SF color. What else could it be? ;)

georgemg

Feb 11, 2013
Brasil
I heard aida + Dann's amplifiers in munich 2012, and for some reason it did not not impressed me, maybe the cabling Van der Hull had influence, or the room had alot of reflection, two friends that were with me had the same opinion, I listen magico Q5 in 2010 with spectral amplifier, and still remember how it was fantastic, especially the piano sound, I have no doubt that the beauty of SF with the color red violin is almost unbeatable, but no doubt would choose the Magico Q5, but at this price level is better to listen again, and even better to hear other speakers.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I heard aida + Dann's amplifiers in munich 2012, and for some reason it did not not impressed me, maybe the cabling Van der Hull had influence, or the room had alot of reflection, two friends that were with me had the same opinion, I listen magico Q5 in 2010 with spectral amplifier, and still remember how it was fantastic, especially the piano sound, I have no doubt that the beauty of SF with the color red violin is almost unbeatable, but no doubt would choose the Magico Q5, but at this price level is better to listen again, and even better to hear other speakers.

I must agree with you on the point of Aida's + Agostino's. I had great expectations in this pairing, as many people referred to it, and in my room I simply hated the combination. I have tried the 3T Van den Hul in the system and it also killed it. Most of the time, systems are assembled at shows considering the trade partners, not the optimization of synergies.

I have limited experience with the Magico Q5. But from I have heard, you must use completely different systems to extract the best of each of these two excellent speakers.

Last edited:

stargate

Apr 27, 2011
yardley, pa.

Mike

I've heard the same at the CES show and it was stunning so pure--Aida's I say

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I completely agree.

Sort of asking what color for a Ferarri

Well being pedantic one could also say yellow :)
Red was the international racing colour side of Ferrari while yellow is the colour associated with Modena/some models.

Smiling because well yellow just not so cool as a red Ferrari, although I doubt anyone is brave enough to repaint any of the classics even if yellow bleh :)
Cheers
Orb

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I've heard the same at the CES show and it was stunning so pure--Aida's I say

Although purity is not a WBF approved sound qualifier, any one having listened to an all ARC system with the Aida's will immediately understand what the poster means with it. If, as me, you valuate a lot this aspect, there is no doubt on the choice.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing