Any experience with the Bryston BDP-2 (or BDP-1)

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
I've been looking at a number of different server products lately (Aurender, Weiss, Sonare, etc) and a trusted adviser recommended the Bryston BDP-1. I remember looking at this server a long time ago, but the software was lacking some features at the time.

Does anyone here use either the BDP-1 or BDP-2? If so can you provide some feedback on sonics and usability?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I've been looking at a number of different server products lately (Aurender, Weiss, Sonare, etc) and a trusted adviser recommended the Bryston BDP-1. I remember looking at this server a long time ago, but the software was lacking some features at the time.

Does anyone here use either the BDP-1 or BDP-2? If so can you provide some feedback on sonics and usability?

AMP, the BDP-1 is the single best digital source component I have ever heard. Bar none.

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-media-servers/music-servers/bryston-bdp-1-digital-file-player.html

The BDP-2 is a big step forward in features. I understand they sound identical. The BDP-1 was tweaked for larger music collections, with 8x the processing power.

The BDP-1 utterly destroyed any PC/USB DAC set up I have heard.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
I have the BDP-1. It works flawlessly, sounds great. The problem is the interface. I control it with my iPad and I hate the interface options. Bryston's in-house designed software is flawed and MPad is only marginally better.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I have the BDP-1. It works flawlessly, sounds great. The problem is the interface. I control it with my iPad and I hate the interface options. Bryston's in-house designed software is flawed and MPad is only marginally better.

If I am not mistaken, there are a few more option now. I am hoping to get a BDP-2 in for review.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Andre:

There are other options to control the Bryston players, but I am fairly certain that if you are using an iPad you are limited to the two apps. If you know of anything else I would love the info as I am planning to sell my BDP-1 because I'm so disappointed in the user interface.

Ken Golden

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre:

There are other options to control the Bryston players, but I am fairly certain that if you are using an iPad you are limited to the two apps. If you know of anything else I would love the info as I am planning to sell my BDP-1 because I'm so disappointed in the user interface.

Ken Golden

Hi Ken:

I would not be in such a rush to sell it. I do not have an iPad, but I used the Android app which I found to be pretty decent.

I would not hesitate to give Bryston a call or send an email to see if there is anything they can suggest. I am sure they would
like feedback from customers, good or bad, based on my dealings with them.

AMP

Feb 27, 2011

Andre:

Ken Golden

Ken, can you elaborate on the issues you are having with control? I looked at the Qsonix a couple of years ago and although it functioned perfectly and sounded great the control options were severely lacking and quite buggy.

I've been using SONOS for about 5 years now and am spoiled by its user interface options and general functionality. It seems like everything I try always pales in comparison. Unfortunately, the SONOS hardware leaves a bit to be desired from an audiophile standpoint (even my modified version) and there is no support for hi-res files.

Aurender looks like it has a much more solid user interface, but the cost of entry is much higher. That may be the price I have to pay, though.

Andre: Thanks for your feedback. I had previously read your review and positive comments on the BDP-1 which are, in part, some of the reasons for me taking a closer look at the BDP.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Ken, can you elaborate on the issues you are having with control? I looked at the Qsonix a couple of years ago and although it functioned perfectly and sounded great the control options were severely lacking and quite buggy.

I've been using SONOS for about 5 years now and am spoiled by its user interface options and general functionality. It seems like everything I try always pales in comparison. Unfortunately, the SONOS hardware leaves a bit to be desired from an audiophile standpoint (even my modified version) and there is no support for hi-res files.

Aurender looks like it has a much more solid user interface, but the cost of entry is much higher. That may be the price I have to pay, though.

Andre: Thanks for your feedback. I had previously read your review and positive comments on the BDP-1 which are, in part, some of the reasons for me taking a closer look at the BDP.

Hi AMP.

Appreciate your comments. I would definitely audition the BDP-1 in house, regardless
of any positive reviews.

FYI, I had it in my system with the BDA-1 DAC connected via AES/EBU..which Bryston recommends.

I also heard it in two outside systems, one with it connected to a dCS DAC, with the same excellent results.

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com

Sure. My guess is its a similar experience to what you had with the Qsonix. Bryston has gone through a couple of generations of their MAX iPad interface. The initial one functioned fine but was quite primitive looking. The new version is more attractive but still lacking. MPad looks nicer.

My main issues with both control apps is that the artwork doesn't display consistently and there are always oddities cropping up with inaccuracies reading the metatags. It kills the experience somewhat.

One other thing that is a consideration for me (YMMV) is the inability to handle DSD files. I'm using the Bricasti M1 DAC and it is about to get a major revision including the ability to play back native DSD files. The BDP-1(and 2) will not support DSD. My game plan is to switch over to a MacMini set up in the coming weeks.

The strong points about Bryston:

1. Sonics. As Andre said - it sounds wonderful. I have not compared it to any other products in the market but I have no problems here.
2. Customer service is exemplary. They are extremely proactive and constantly requesting feedback from their customers and updating the software. James Tanner is a dynamo.

Hope this helps a bit.

Ken

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
James Tanner is a dynamo.

Yes, I've met James twice, a very respectable and truly sincere person; Brian Russell on the other hand, is perhaps the most disrespectful blowhard I've ever encountered in audio.

tb1

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Yes, I've met James twice, a very respectable and truly sincere person; Brian Russell on the other hand, is perhaps the most disrespectful blowhard I've ever encountered in audio.

tb1

Hey Tbone.

I've never met or had any dealings with BR. However "disrespectful blowhard" pretty much applies to half the people in this hobby. LOL.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Hey Tbone.

I've never met or had any dealings with BR. However "disrespectful blowhard" pretty much applies to half the people in this hobby. LOL.

The difference between James and Brian, is that James never pissed all over the competition. Brian, on the other hand, is all about pissing on the competition. Simply as him a question about said company, and he opens up the tap. I find him nauseating, certainly insufferable, and more importantly ... his knowledge outside the world of Bryston is obviously very limited ... yet he'll tell you otherwise.

James on the other hand is a knowledgeable joy to talk with.

I've had a lot of Bryston experience over the years, consider it one of the best companies, especially when it comes to support. I've even had some experience with the BDP1/2 ... which impressed.

tb1

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The difference between James and Brian, is that James never pissed all over the competition. Brian, on the other hand, is all about pissing on the competition. Simply as him a question about said company, and he opens up the tap. I find him nauseating, certainly insufferable, and more importantly ... his knowledge outside the world of Bryston is obviously very limited ... yet he'll tell you otherwise.

James on the other hand is a knowledgeable joy to talk with.

I've had a lot of Bryston experience over the years, consider it one of the best companies, especially when it comes to support. I've even had some experience with the BDP1/2 ... which impressed.

tb1

I've only dealt with James Tanner, as you said, a gentleman.

If you want some idea of how their customer service works..the contact switch for the on/off button on my BDA-1 failed. Literally a 50 cent part.

They insisted on sending me a BRAND NEW unit instead of just having a dealer replace the part, which would have taken ten minutes.

I was told by other customers this is par for the course.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Hey Tbone.

To me, their is a fine line between "improvement", "change" and "compromise" with audio products in general. Yet few talk in those terms, because any said product must be considered "better" in order to represent change. I've seen this happen all too often, when a new version of a product isn't necessarily better, but different. But again, few talk in terms of change as a form of compromise.

In all honesty, I find that most people within this hobby that have a position of authority or ownership, are relatively well spoken, especially when it comes down to their own interest ... yet few are as open minded when it comes to discussing competing or alternative subjects in a positive light.

And what I find telling about some of these stake holders, is how they become very dismissive, when someone like me introduces the word "compromise" into the equation ...

Case in point, two turntable companies, both Canadian, each representative (owners) were respectfully nice people with much knowledge. Yet, both have recently made significant changes to the workings/structure of their turntables. In an audio-world in which certain "changes" have long represented compromise, it was interesting to get their take on those "compromises". Yet, neither wanted to discuss each subject in those terms, as if they've somehow found an absolute solution that few before 'em could, as if no such compromises within this new design could possibly exist.

Well, at least not until the next version ... (sigh)

Look, I've been around far too long to know that whole-sale improvements don't always work in an absolute fashion within this hobby. Compromises within audio, have long existed, especially with the designing of turntables. Both these companies, as the vast majority of audio companies are prone to do, have claimed that their prior models were amongst the best available prior to version change, without any known compromise. Funny, if no compromises existed, then, why the need for improvement now?

That's a particular saga that continually plays out within this hobby ...

tb1

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- James Tanner, from Bryston, is a stand-up guy; I can 100% attest to that.
...A very nice fellow and helpful too. ...And with great taste in music 'sound purity'. :b

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I wonder how the BDP1 or 2 would sound with a Mytek DSD DAC ?

Since the MyTek has an AES/EBU input, I am sure it would sound fine. I heard it with a dCS..oh boy, that
was amazing.

However, I think the best realistic match is with the BDA-1.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing