2xDSD Playback through PC server to PCM DAC

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
A good buddy (retired cop) had some spare time on his hands, and did the research to figure out how to rip SACDs.... but as he didn't have many of his own, volunteered to rip mine for practice. I had far more than I expected. Going through my piles of CDs, I also discovered a huge bunch of hybrid CDs/SACDs that I sent to him. Now that I got it back, how to play them all. I have nearly half a dozen DACs, only one of which played native DSD. I've also got lots of native DSD files courtesy of my recording engineer friends.

Enter the Super Audio CD Decoder for foobar - http://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/

Now, every one of my systems will play DSD files :)

I did a few quick comparisons of a few tracks between the DSD and the Redbook layer, and on every one, I much preferred the DSD converted to PCM. This was on an M2Tech Young DAC.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
A good buddy (retired cop) had some spare time on his hands, and did the research to figure out how to rip SACDs.... but as he didn't have many of his own, volunteered to rip mine for practice. I had far more than I expected. Going through my piles of CDs, I also discovered a huge bunch of hybrid CDs/SACDs that I sent to him. Now that I got it back, how to play them all. I have nearly half a dozen DACs, only one of which played native DSD. I've also got lots of native DSD files courtesy of my recording engineer friends.

Enter the Super Audio CD Decoder for foobar - http://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/

Now, every one of my systems will play DSD files :)

I did a few quick comparisons of a few tracks between the DSD and the Redbook layer, and on every one, I much preferred the DSD converted to PCM. This was on an M2Tech Young DAC.

Gary,

i've had to read your post a few times to 'maybe' get an understanding of what you are saying here. please correct me if i am missing your meaning.

when you say that you prefer dsd converted to PCM, you mean that you prefer the soundforge plugin for foobar playing dsd files converting them to PCM played thru the M2Tech Young DAC.....to......native dsd files played thru your M2Tech Young DAC.

did i get that right?

if so; have you asked your 'recording engineer friends' whether they have compared playing dsd files thru soundforge/foobar to their SOTA dsd dacs? in other words, does the quality of the dsd DAC change the equation?

thanks. just wanting to make sure i'm following your meaning here.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I might be wrong, but I got that Gary preferred DSD->PCM rather than Redbook standard, even if DSD has not been played natively.

Correct. As far as I know (may be a newer one does) the M2Tech Young does not play DSD. This set-up is so that I can use all my systems to play the DSD albums I now have (several hundred) without having to go through the pain of converting them to PCM.

I'm comparing the SACD layer to the Redbook layer on Hybrid SACDs - with both layers ripped to my server.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- ...But usually, the CD layer (PCM) of an hybrid SACD is directly derived from the DSD recording, no? ...And it usually sounds better than a straight PCM recording because of that DSD's origin (implementation/recording technique)?

Just as a quick example: All my Rolling Stones SACDs, the CD layers sound much cleaner, more resolute, with better clarity, stronger and tighter bass than all my original Rolling Stones CDs.

...Same with Bob Dylan, and all the rest of the gang. ...Much better remastering sound.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
The layers are usually different - on one particular (Sting) album I looked at there was very heavy compression used on the PCM layer when the two were eyeballed in Audacity. Seems the 'loudness war' only has been affecting RBCD.

That's why I wanted to get the SACD layers ripped, and have some way to play them back.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
The layers are usually different - on one particular (Sting) album I looked at there was very heavy compression used on the PCM layer when the two were eyeballed in Audacity. Seems the 'loudness war' only has been affecting RBCD.

Just as well DSD is not universal yet then, because I am sure that layer remaster would also then be shafted with extra loudness-dynamic compression :)
Although raises the point of how both were processed inside the studio for the same album.
Cheers
Orb

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
This may be where HD Tracks is getting some of their "HiRez" PCM files

I don't know of ANY SACD layer that has been derived from Redbook. I should know, I've been doing this for HDtracks since '08

There has been SACD layers from 24/44.1 and 24/48 Mostly the BIS label and the rest has been weeded out.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have at least one 88k2/24bit download from HDTracks which has been sourced from DSD. I don't think there's any secret about that - the ultrasonic noise is very obvious.

I've done ALL of HDtracks transfers from SACD at 176.4 and 88.2

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
This title is NOT on HDtracks...

Actually, it is, in 24/192 and 24/96. I have no idea how it sounds or measures, though.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The "Come Away With Me" is one of the Sterling Sound transfers, I think.

I'm not sure why I'm posting about this, I don't care about her music...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing