AGon train wreck

Glory

Oct 28, 2011
Destin, FL.
So they are still a TW.

Dude from Canada makes offer to buy. I accept. The Gon sends me a bill before I get any $$$ from the fake buyer. Email the dude and he thinks shipping is to much. $30.00 plus the 4% PP fee. He comes back and says I never pay PP fees. Fine then send MO or PP as a gift. No buyer. He is gone. Mean while the ad is now expired and maked sold. Sold? What? Really sold?

Go to leave FB for the sod and I get a blank page.

Agon the great train wreck.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
What I find infuriating is that the second a "deal" becomes official, Audiogon sends you an email and tells you that your account is overdue. As far as your situation, you just have to send Audiogon an email and explain what happened and they will back off your charges and you can relist the item.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
That is no different to ebay. Just send AgoN an email explaining the situation.

Glory

Oct 28, 2011
Destin, FL.
Here is what we get when sending an email

The high-end Audio Community
Return to Audiogon
Support Center

Home › Email Us

We have not posted your email yet
Perhaps one of these articles will help you get your answer...

An Audiogon Buyer's Checklist
Whether you’re new to buying items online or an old pro, here are some tips to ensure a smooth buying exp...

Buyer Safety
How do I know to trust a Seller? What guarantees do I have? What if an item is damaged in shipping?...

Payments
Which payment method is faster? Which payment method is safer? How do I pay a seller? How do I pay Aud...

(Clicking these links will open a new window)
THESE DIDN'T HELP
Email Us

Your name (required)

Your email address (required)

Subject (required)

Message (required)

Customer service software powered by Assistly Inc.
Contact Us

Email Us
Follow Our Tweets

about a day ago
Put on headphones, and click play to step into the "Virtual Barber Shop" and experience true binaural sound recording http://t.co/BLHPYnTo6I
about a day ago
RT @zooeysuff: Need suggestions for repair of high-end audio amp in northern new England. URGENT @GuitarWorld @DrumChannel @AudiogoN
about 2 days ago
Vote in today's Opinion Poll on #TheHub to tell us which genre best shows off your system! http://t.co/VZEaTpdIRF

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
F
it is a train wreck. Why any legit buyer or seller would even get involved with the site defies all logic

No question the site is a disaster, and whoever runs it is clueless. However, the buyers and sellers in my experience still largely highly reliable, and the occasional scammer easily identified. I have been trading for over a decade and never had a bad experience. Just sold a dac for 11k. Buyer paid me as gift to avoid PayPal fees. No recourse transaction. I have done the same in the past. Never an issue....

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
what do you mean he paid you as gift

There is a feature on PayPal that allows you to transfer money as a "gift" rather than payment for goods or services. This incurs no fees (in this case save $330). Of course, if you use this, you have no recourse if the goods never arrive.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
There is a feature on PayPal that allows you to transfer money as a "gift" rather than payment for goods or services. This incurs no fees (in this case save $330). Of course, if you use this, you have no recourse if the goods never arrive.

Correction. I was not awake yet. He tried to pay as gift to save the fees, and it would not go through. Rather than use PayPal and incur fees we settled by certified check. Still a no recourse transaction based on trust, which was my point. I have done Paypal payments as gifts up to $6k. Bottom line: Audiogon sucks, but high end buyers sellers are a very reliable bunch. Of course, one bad transaction would totally change my perspective. May be I have just been lucky.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
it is a train wreck. Why any legit buyer or seller would even get involved with the site defies all logic

Really? Where else are you going to go to buy and sell audio gear Steve? Ebay? They suck just as hard and take more of your money in fees. There was a window of vulnerability when Audiogon had shot themselves in the foot and basically shut their site down for a period of time that someone with some good software and less greed could have swooped in and possibly taken over. It didn't happen and Audiogon is still the only game in town outside of Ebay.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Really? Where else are you going to go to buy and sell audio gear Steve? Ebay? They suck just as hard and take more of your money in fees. There was a window of vulnerability wh
en Audiogon had shot themselves in the foot and basically shut their site down for a period of time that someone with some good software and less greed could have swooped in and possibly taken over. It didn't happen and Audiogon is still the only game in town outside of Ebay.

Agree. eBay is far worse. Got burned repeatedly with audio equipment. Audiogon never.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
That is no different to ebay. Just send AgoN an email explaining the situation.

The same thing happened to me twice; all emails to agon went unanswered. The second time at least the buyer-that-was-no-more agreed to pay me the fee.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
But IIRC there are tax implications for gifting someone above a certain amount of money

I believe the limit is 10k. If you can show the IRS the "gift" was in fact payment for goods labeled gift to save transaction fees you should not have a problem I would think.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I believe the limit is 10k. If you can show the IRS the "gift" was in fact payment for goods labeled gift to save transaction fees you should not have a problem I would think.

I agree about the $10K gift tax but a gift is a gift. If you did it to avoid fees, it is still a gift.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing