Krell KAS

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
beautiful...what do you think of these amps in particular, Wizard? these are quite a bit older than the MRA (which stopped production '06 i think i read here somewhere). These are over 10-15 years older than that. But they were all-out assault designs for their time...curious!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
View attachment 8366

I heard KAS with Apogee Diva, one of the best sounds I've ever heard from a Krell amp.

Maybe MRA will sound better when I hear them in March.
I will also listen to AD Artemis and The Sovereign amps at the same time.

Hi Wizard...Curious...how would you say the Apogee Divas or Grands compare to today's SOTA speakers? Do either of the Apogees compare? I think in many respects they would...but i am not sure whether as an overall package they would still be able to hang in there. I have heard the old ML Statements and IRS Beta Vs definitely do.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Smokin' Joe

Jun 6, 2012
Melbourne, Australia.
I have the KAS and also a FPB-600.
The difference between the two is night and day with the KAS mile ahead in all areas.
They also say the KAS weigh 98kg, this is untrue. I recently weighed them and from memory I think they were 76kg each.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I've wondered how these beasts would work with my MBL 101E MKIIs. I was worried that they would not have enough power (350 into 4ohms) to properly drive the 101s. The MBLs need a minimum of 750 watts into 4 ohms in my opinion. I've almost pulled the trigger on them several times. Also the KRS 200s as well, same worries.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have the KAS and also a FPB-600.
The difference between the two is night and day with the KAS mile ahead in all areas.
They also say the KAS weigh 98kg, this is untrue. I recently weighed them and from memory I think they were 76kg each.

Wow...great stuff...I have always heard great stuff about the legendary KAS...can you be more specific in how the KAS is superior to the mighty FPB600s? Most curious to learn how you feel they compare...

Smokin' Joe

Jun 6, 2012
Melbourne, Australia.
Wow...great stuff...I have always heard great stuff about the legendary KAS...can you be more specific in how the KAS is superior to the mighty FPB600s? Most curious to learn how you feel they compare...
When i purchased them I was quick to get home and set them up.
My mate who loved the 600 remarked "I wonder how hard we will have to listen a difference".
It was chalk and cheese, bigger soundstage, better imaging, sublime mids and highs and an almighty grip on the bottom end like I hadn't heard before.
If you can. Find a rebuilt of lightly used pair for a reasonable price I would say go for it!
Having said this I have actually sold mine and they await delivery to their new owner.
The 600 will also be sold as will an Aussie amp called ME-1500 to make way for what I hope to be my upgrade but what some are saying will be a downgrade.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
When i purchased them I was quick to get home and set them up.
My mate who loved the 600 remarked "I wonder how hard we will have to listen a difference".
It was chalk and cheese, bigger soundstage, better imaging, sublime mids and highs and an almighty grip on the bottom end like I hadn't heard before.
If you can. Find a rebuilt of lightly used pair for a reasonable price I would say go for it!
Having said this I have actually sold mine and they await delivery to their new owner.
The 600 will also be sold as will an Aussie amp called ME-1500 to make way for what I hope to be my upgrade but what some are saying will be a downgrade.

Thanks. And what will the new amp be??

BiggusD

Nov 10, 2013
Old Krells used to double the watts all the way down to 1 ohm! Nowadays most solid state amps don't even double to 4 ohms! As far as I know only Soulution doubles all the way down to 2 ohms... Why???

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Old Krells used to double the watts all the way down to 1 ohm! Nowadays most solid state amps don't even double to 4 ohms! As far as I know only Soulution doubles all the way down to 2 ohms... Why???

I think there are more than that...Gryphon doubles down to 0.5ohms. I would have thought Vitus is similar if not same. Maybe Bryston?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
My friend used to have the Monoblock . It's clipped when he played Carmina Burana loud. Eventually changed to Gryphon mephisto stereo

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Could be an aging issue but it happened

Last edited:

Smokin' Joe

Jun 6, 2012
Melbourne, Australia.
Trying to find specs for the KAS, after the power consumption at idle and in stand-by mode, anyone??

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing