What's your favourite LIVE!!! Album?

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Gary,

Excellent call on the Jessica Williams disc. She's terrific and highly under-rated.

George Adams/Don Pullen Quartet, "Live at the Village Vanguard", Soul Note, 1986
Ray Brown, "Superbass", Telarc, 1997
Dave Brubeck "Newport 1958", Columbia, 1958 (mono 6-eye)
Ray Bryant, "Live at Montreux '77", Pablo, 1977
Anat Cohen, "Clarinetwork", Anzic, 2010
Miles Davis, Complete Live at Plugged Nickel", Mosaic
Miles Davis, "Friday and Saturday Night at the Blackhawk", Columbia, 1961
Duke Ellington, Ellington At Newport", Columia, 1956
Ellington & Fitzgerald, "Live At the Cote D'Azur", Mosaic, 2011
Tommy Flanagan, "Live In Stockholm, 1957", Dragon
Benny Green Trio, "Testifyin' ", Blue Note, 1992
Gene Harris, "Trio Plus One", Concord, 1986
Coleman Hawkins, "Alive! At the Village Gate", Verve, 1962
Buck Hill, "Easy To Love", Steeplechase, 1982
Oliver Jones & Charles Biddle, "Festival International de Jazz", Justin Time, 1983
Wynton Marsalis "Live At The House of Tribes", Blue Note, 2005
Thelonious Monk, "Complete Live at the It Club", Mosaic, 2010
David Murray, "Live at The Sweet Basil, Vol. 1", Black Saint, 1985
Arturo O'Farrill, "Live in Brooklyn", Zoho, 2005
Art Pepper, "Complete Live at Ronnie Scott's", Pure Pleasure, 2010
Joshua Redman, "Spirit of the Moment", Warner Brothers, 1995
Joscho Stephan, "Acoustic Live", Acoustic Music, 2006
Rolling Stones, "Get Your Ya Yas Out", Decca, 1970
Sinatra, "At the Sands", Reprise,
Cecil Taylor, "Live in Bologna", Leo, 1988
Stanley Turrentine, "Up at Minton's, Vol 2", Blue Note, 1962
Sadao Watanabe, "Parker's Mood", Elektra, 1985
Ben Webster, "At the Rennaisance", Analogue Productions, 1985
Phil Woods, "At the Village Vanguard", Antilles, 1982
World Saxophone Quartet, "Live In Zurich", Black Saint, 1984

Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Not "pure" jazz (lots of soul/R&B) but "Swiss Movement" has an energy I love.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Clifford Jordan – Live at Ethell’s
Bill Mays Trio – Live at Jazz Standard
Shirley horn – I thought about you
Mary Stallings – Live at the Village vanguard
Ray Brown Trio – live at the LOA
Dee Dee Bridgewater – Live at Yoshis
The Roy Haynes Trio - featuring Danilo Perez and John Patitucci (live and studio recording)
Wynton Kelly Trio, Wes Montgomery – Smokin’ at the half note
Eric Dolphy – Last Date
Bill Evans Trio – At Shelly’s Manne-Hole
Ahmad’s Blues – Live at the spotlight
Chet Baker – Nightbird: Live At Ronnie Scotts

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I'll edit with time but for now I'll go for one of my favorites: Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert

My favorite as well but not really "Jazz". My favourite live Keith Jarrett Jazz album is personal mountains.

Factoring in the phenomenal recording quality, Chick Corea's "Rendez Vous in New York" MCH SACD tops the list.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I set out on a goal this year to acquire more live recordings and jazz in particular, so I'll be following your recommendations/suggestions with interest.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Hard to believe no one's mentioned this?

Coltrane.jpg

This one's a lot of fun

CTIcalifornia.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert

My favorite as well but not really "Jazz". My favourite live Keith Jarrett Jazz album is personal mountains.

Factoring in the phenomenal recording quality, Chick Corea's "Rendez Vous in New York" MCH SACD tops the list.

Ed, Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert; "not really "Jazz". ...What is it then if it ain't jazz?
...And what is Jazz?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Ed, Keith Jarrett - The Koln Concert; "not really "Jazz". ...What is it then if it ain't jazz?
...And what is Jazz?

I should have seen this one coming .... I dunno - to me it is just (very) good improvised music for solo instrument.

When I am in the mood to listen to "Jazz" I would never play the Koln Concert. My Koln Concert mood is more similar to say Indian raga (hariprasad chaurasia) or say Anouar Brahem). Not sure what label to stick on it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
-- Yeah, you sure had it comin'! :D

My turn. :b ... Piano jazz improvisation, that's it. ...Jazz is freelance music, the expression of the moment.
...And that Koln concert, for me, is jazz music. :b

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
-- Yeah, you sure had it comin'! :D

My turn. :b ... Piano jazz improvisation, that's it. ...Jazz is freelance music, the expression of the moment.
...And that Koln concert, for me, is jazz music. :b

When you put a good jamband on the stage they can improvise and go from playing for example Jazz, Funk, Rock and Blues in a heartbeat. I can tell the difference when I hear it. It is probably the rhytmic signature. Don't know, I am not a musician. When I hear the Koln Concert, I don't hear "Jazz". Not that is matters.....

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
True; each one of us we hear differently, and our musical journey is different than anyone else. ...This one is pure piano jazz improvisation, to the deepest part of my soul. :b

pentatonic

Feb 14, 2013
Montreal, Qc

I know what you mean by not really jazz, but I have to disagree as the structures he ventures into are closer to free jazz than anything else. As for RViNY, great call buddy, a damn fine album.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Ok.

If we go broad on "Jazz" I have to throw in "Remeber Shakti's" (with John McLaughlin and Zakir Hussain) self titled album "Remember Shakti".

Another priceless gem no one has proably heard of, is Richard Galliano and Michel Portal's live album "Blow up".

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I set out on a goal this year to acquire more live recordings and jazz in particular, so I'll be following your recommendations/suggestions with interest.

Jpe Williams Ballad and Blues Master...incredibly well recorded. Small jazz club feel.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing