Krell KMA-400

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
That's an early version. Later versions are balanced. This is a great amplifier. Don't look here for tube warmth though, but if you value speed and breadth of stage and bass and bass and bass... did I say bass :)

edit...

you'll also notice to the left of the Krell one of the world's finest tube amps, can anyone name it?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
That's an early version. Later versions are balanced. This is a great amplifier. Don't look here for tube warmth though, but if you value speed and breadth of stage and bass and bass and bass... did I say bass :)

edit...

you'll also notice to the left of the Krell one of the world's finest tube amps, can anyone name it?

CJ Premier 1?

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
we have a winner!

now if only wizard would tell us the sound character of the giant Krells

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
Wizard,

This ole' Premier One has King Kong sized balls... this thing can put a Madonna concert right in the listening studio. It's so good you can smell her sweat.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Wizard,

This ole' Premier One has King Kong sized balls... this thing can put a Madonna concert right in the listening studio. It's so good you can smell her sweat.

Of all the things to sniff...

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
View attachment 8314
KAS

I will soon travel to Germany to hear MRA and maybe buy a 2006 pair.
I've heard KAS - the sound of them was so right and musical - if MRA sounds like KAS I will buy them.

Do we have to mention that we wanna know all about it! :b

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
View attachment 8314
KAS

I will soon travel to Germany to hear MRA and maybe buy a 2006 pair.
I've heard KAS - the sound of them was so right and musical - if MRA sounds like KAS I will buy them.

I have heard very, very good things about the KAS...and was tempted when i saw one on AGon, but at the time just did not have the wherewithall to get someone to help me assess it before buying it, etc...It is great when you can find those rare opportunities to get SOTA stuff at great discounts.

Good luck with the audition of the MRA in Germany!!! Pls let us know.

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
One of my buds had the KAS baby amps. They sounded nifty on his Martin Logans. That giant Krell and the KRS 200s are my big game targets. Roslyn, thanks for the notes on the big boys!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have owned the Krell KAS-2 - they looked impressive, the large VUs were very nice and they were of manageable size. I got them used for a very friendly price and I was very proud of them. However, later I tried the the FPB 750 Mcx and they were an overall improvement over the KAS-2, but did not look as nice!

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 2,026

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
View attachment 8315
Two pairs with Apogee Grand.

I first heard KAS on Apogee speakers, don't remember the model.
Also heard KAS-2 - couldn't compete with KAS.

I will say, its easy to check out the equipment...but in truth, the whole set up including the room/house is beautiful. Its a shame that the speakers need to be set so far into the room and you 'lose' so much...but its still a great looking setup...and bet it sounds great too.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I have a couple of friends with KRS-100 mono amps and all of them adore their system 2 with Acoustats and 1 with Apogee's.:p

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing