Krell MRA

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Were these designed by Dan or the new people that took over Krell?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Were these designed by Dan or the new people that took over Krell?

there were 50 of these made between early '00 and '06...i think these must have been Dan D'A

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
They must have had to turn it on it's side to get it through the door. Hee hee :D

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I've oft wondered how these sound. A guy in NYC has 6 of them! When Dan was over in 2011, he said he had not designed an amp for a long time (by himself). But I suspect these heavy hitters have a lot of Dan in them. I lusted after the pure class A KRS 200 monos and almost scored a pair, but... I was relieved when the deal fell through for I had just sold the KMA 160 pure class As and they were a little soft and round sounding. I worried that the 200s would be similar. The Krell KMA 400 monos are for me, the holy grail classic Krell.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
How many Energon cubes do these amps consume?

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I've oft wondered how these sound. A guy in NYC has 6 of them! When Dan was over in 2011, he said he had not designed an amp for a long time (by himself). But I suspect these heavy hitters have a lot of Dan in them. I lusted after the pure class A KRS 200 monos and almost scored a pair, but... I was relieved when the deal fell through for I had just sold the KMA 160 pure class As and they were a little soft and round sounding. I worried that the 200s would be similar. The Krell KMA 400 monos are for me, the holy grail classic Krell.

I had 4 of the KMA160s driving the big Apogees. They were pretty good amps without the much lared outlay for the 400s!

Lee

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
This is how a single channel, single phase MRA output transistor board (there are 4 of those in a stereo pair) looks like in real life:

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Wizard,

I am fascinated... how do they sound? Are they fast SS or tube like SS? The largest amps I've had in the system are the big MBLs. And get this! They are coming back for solo review in a couple months. Before I go to that great listening room in the sky I must hear these Krells!!!

MasterChief

Jun 26, 2012
Sweden
Wizard,

I am fascinated... how do they sound? Are they fast SS or tube like SS? The largest amps I've had in the system are the big MBLs. And get this! They are coming back for solo review in a couple months. Before I go to that great listening room in the sky I must hear these Krells!!!

If you are lucky WBF member Roysen who owns a pair see this thread. If you google you will see his MRA:s paired up with Audio Physics loudspeakers.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
His APs are quite the rare bird too I hear.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I'm saying this a a Krell owner, but these amps seem borderline ridiculous/impractical to me in terms of complexity and parts count. Look at all of those output transistors. How hard is it to match all of them really well? How much does it cost to ship these back to Krell when it comes time for service? I know it depends on where you live, but just the sheer exercise of packing them back up and getting them on a freight truck would take three men and a boy. And having said all of that, I would love to hear a pair in my system. I know I can't afford them, I know I don't want to lift a finger or bicep tendon to move them, but I sure would like to hear them.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I'm saying this a a Krell owner, but these amps seem borderline ridiculous/impractical to me in terms of complexity and parts count. Look at all of those output transistors. How hard is it to match all of them really well? How much does it cost to ship these back to Krell when it comes time for service? I know it depends on where you live, but just the sheer exercise of packing them back up and getting them on a freight truck would take three men and a boy. And having said all of that, I would love to hear a pair in my system. I know I can't afford them, I know I don't want to lift a finger or bicep tendon to move them, but I sure would like to hear them.

Conflicted mhhh?? :) I would love to hear them too. The impracticality seems to be one reason they are no longer produced... An updated model would cost in this atmosphere or exosphere half a million easy ...

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

They exceed my size quota by a fair margin.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

I was told long ago that Krell used power supply transistors in the output for the bass control, slam and power they are famous for, and these certainly look like TO 220's to me. Power supply transistors in the output section doesn't necessarily imply musicality. True, true and true?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing