Desktop speakers

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
My 12 years of joyful bliss with a pair of Swan M200 have come to an end. Their internal amp in kaput. Audioengine speakers get great reviews, and I see some interesting-looking studio monitors on the music store sites. I want to spend as little as possible, within reason. Any recommendations?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
AFAIK, the M200's were not true active speakers but they had a passive crossover and originally came out as Sonus Faber wannabe knock-offs. But they had pretty good sound. Since it's a passive with a built-in amplifier, and you want to spend as little as possible, how about just replacing the internal amp?

Otherwise, I'd suggest this: http://www.vanatoo.com/

Disclaimer - they are friends of mine and members of the same audio club.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
My 12 years of joyful bliss with a pair of Swan M200 have come to an end. Their internal amp in kaput. Audioengine speakers get great reviews, and I see some interesting-looking studio monitors on the music store sites. I want to spend as little as possible, within reason. Any recommendations?

I actually have the Vanatoo speakers in for review. My early impressions are very very positive. They are very versatile.

To give you another option, the Paradigm SHIFT A2's are nice too:

Here is my review-
http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-l...paradigm-shift-a2-active-speakers-review.html

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I haven't heard the Vanatoo's yet but so far everything Gary has recommended has fit my ear. I have heard Audio Engines. The reviews are deserved. Just don't go and snatch 'em from your boy because they really are good. LOL. If you have ADAM available in your area, you might want to check out the Artist series. The Artist 3 is a terrific little speaker. They don't go low at all but the clarity of the mids and highs are great.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I am using the Emotiva Airmotiv 5 powered speakers in a desktop application.

Heard the Audioengine A5 and A5+. In my opinion the Airmotiv's are superior.

Same price range.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
I use stirling broadcast LS3/5a bbc monitors on my desktop with a astell kern AK100 and a 9wpc 300b SET amp
fantastic little desktop system

vanadoos look promising or these look nice from france - atohm furtive

http://www.atohm.com/enceintes.php?enceintes_ref=10

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I use Behringer Truth B1031A actives and they work for me. I liked them a lot better than the Audioengine offerings, although I really wanted some KRK's. I'm not a critical digital music listener and just wanted something to have playing while I'm browsing or on a forum.

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Otherwise, I'd suggest this: http://www.vanatoo.com/

Disclaimer - they are friends of mine and members of the same audio club.

Gary came in the next day raving about them and convinced me to review them for my game and mobile magazines. Gary seldom raves. They *are* very, very nice for that price point.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I think you're headed down the right track looking at truly active monitors, which the Audioengines are not (they're passive with built-in amps). What's your budget?

Tim

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I finally bought a set of desk speakers. Nothing terribly imaginative, a wood-finished pair of Audioengine 5+. I'm running them in conjunction with a Klipsch something-12 subwoofer, all being fed by a MAudio A24/96 card. The system rocks.

Here's what I wasn't ready for; the Audioengines are on a totally different level than my old Swans, sonically. So much more open and transparent, fast and vibrant. I'm very happy with the purchase.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I've been through numerous desktop speakers and was not happy with any, especially with the integration of the subwoofers, which was often on the floor.

I decided to go a different route. With an arbitrary budget of $700 I went to Sam Ash music and auditioned just about every powered speaker/monitors they had. I ended up with the Fostex PM-2 speakers. I paid a bit under $500 for the pair and am very happy with them. The bass and treble are well integrated and the resolution is very good.

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/PM-2_MkII.shtml

HF unit : 25mm Soft Dome
LF Unit : 200mm Aromatic Polyamide
Frequency Response : Free field ± 2dB 50Hz - 20kHz
Low Frequency Cut-Off : 40Hz (-10dB)
High Frequency Cut-Off : 22kHz (-10dB)
Amp Power : Low Frequency: 120 watts, High Frequency: 120 watts, 240 watts total
Amp Distortion : >0.05% T.H.D. @ 50w, 6 Ohm 20Hz - 20kHz
Amp Signal to Noise : >90dB 20Hz - 30kHz , not weighted
Amp Slew Rate : 10V / µ sec
Physical Dimensions : 254w x 411h x 300d (mm)
Weight : 14.7kg

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Anyone using desktop stands? Audioengine offers stands for the 5+, and I'm currently experimenting with cones/(big) rubber feet under mine, though thinking of a more elegant solution.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing