VR-100 launch at Axpona

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Riverside, California, Feb 18, 2013. Von Schweikert Audio Corp is pleased to announce the World Premiere of the UNIVERSE (code-named VR-100XS) Holographic Projection Speaker System in Chicago, March 8-10th 2013, at the Axpona Hi-Fi show at the O’Hare Doubletree Hilton Hotel. Please visit the Othello Room on the mezzanine floor to experience sound that will thrill you.

Partnering with YFS, a computer tech company who is presently building Cloud-Server-Class music computers, we have assembled a state-of-the-art music system to demonstrate where future technology is headed. If you have never heard a stereo system sound close to a live musical event, you should not miss this chance to experience the latest in holographic sound projection technology.

The UNIVERSE is a four-piece speaker system featuring two main towers with two outboard subwoofer modules. In addition to holographic sound projection, the VR-100XS also has built-in Room Bass Correction that eliminates the dips and peaks caused by boundary reflections in the deep bass range. This system has six Patents Pending, with every aspect of the design being unique.

• Twenty drivers, all using metal alloy construction with ceramic damping.
• Holographic Sound Field Projection driven by a point source array.
• Time Aligned and Phase Coherent driver array for correct image focus.
• Cardiod/Omni Radiation Pattern ensures complete surround capability.
• Single-Driver transient response replication offered by Servo Circuitry.
• Control of cabinet vibration ensured by Pat.Pend. Noise Cancellation.
• Elimination of room bass standing waves by Pressure Equalization.

The UNIVERSE will be driven by the following state-of-the-art equipment:
YFS Music Server model HD Ref-3 SE ($12,000 including remote tablet), Meitner EMM Labs DAC2X ($15,000), QXK Racks by Critical Mass Systems ($37,000), Ultra GT Silver Preamp by Purity Audio ($53,000), subwoofer and main woofer mono-block amplifiers by CIAudio ($4,500/pr), midrange/tweeter amplifier by KR Audio: Kronzilla SXi Mk2 ($21,000), diffusor panels by GIK Acoustics ($350 ea x 16pcs), line conditioning by PS Audio and EquiTech ($3,000) Special thanks to Master-Built Audio Cables for supplying their Signature Series at all points in the system, including the internal wiring of the UNIVERSE. See you in Chicago!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Jack

Is this their new top of the line? Seems like the VR-10 redux..

Also I could not help but notice that racks are getting up there ... $37,000 for that one ... :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Frantz,

The VR-11 Mk2 remains the top of the line. The 100 is in between the 9 and 11. You in particular might find the approach of this system interesting. The main towers go down to 20Hz and the subs are to be placed at the rear of the room. In effect you get 6 sources of LF (the other 2 being the top woofers of the tower). When calibrated Albert claims less than 2dB bass variation anywhere in the room with no need for DSP. The tower woofers will be powered by relatively inexpensive Hypex based amps from Dusty at CIAudio, the mid and tweeters by KR T1610s. It's very different from the 10s which were essentially stacked SRs with two woofer towers. Albert started as a driver designer for many companies before he struck out on his own. He's had some crazy things done for him by SEAS for this system. Wish I could say more, gag order. LOL.

I use the same rack systems and filter systems. They are expensive but there are other models for people that don't have to deal with kWs of subwoofer output. Still not cheap with all the machined solid billets but not far off if not less than some other competing rack and filter systems out there. From the list of equipment provided in the press release, that's a lot of filters and racks. Most folks only need 3 or 4 levels.

Jack :)

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi Frantz,

The VR-11 Mk2 remains the top of the line. The 100 is in between the 9 and 11. You in particular might find the approach of this system interesting. The main towers go down to 20Hz and the subs are to be placed at the rear of the room. In effect you get 6 sources of LF (the other 2 being the top woofers of the tower). When calibrated Albert claims less than 2dB bass variation anywhere in the room with no need for DSP. The tower woofers will be powered by relatively inexpensive Hypex based amps from Dusty at CIAudio, the mid and tweeters by KR T1610s. It's very different from the 10s which were essentially stacked SRs with two woofer towers. Albert started as a driver designer for many companies before he struck out on his own. He's had some crazy things done for him by SEAS for this system. Wish I could say more, gag order. LOL.

I use the same rack systems and filter systems. They are expensive but there are other models for people that don't have to deal with kWs of subwoofer output. Still not cheap with all the machined solid billets but not far off if not less than some other competing rack and filter systems out there. From the list of equipment provided in the press release, that's a lot of filters and racks. Most folks only need 3 or 4 levels.

Jack :)

Jack

You are right , I do. Very interesting. What do you mean by "the rear of the room"? Are these subs to be placed behind the mains back to the wall or are they to be placed at the rear behind the listening position? For what is going in the low bass no need for expensive amplifier a Class D, ICE or similar will do the job exceedingly well. IT would have been interesting to have the amps as part of the package though as in the 9 and 11... This is one speaker I would like to hear ... I have liked VSA speakers since I got to be shocked by the VR4 original. I subsequently heard the VR5, One superb speaker which seems to be lost in the confusion of brands and speaker-of-the moment tendency of High End Audio.

OT
As for the racks ... I am waiting for them to reach $100K, this said with a straight face; there is already one at $50K. One wonders how high pricesl will go in High End Audio. The industry seems to think that higher prices is the way to growth... We'll see

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jack

You are right , I do. Very interesting. What do you mean by "the rear of the room"? Are these subs to be placed behind the mains back to the wall or are they to be placed at the rear behind the listening position? For what is going in the low bass no need for expensive amplifier a Class D, ICE or similar will do the job exceedingly well. IT would have been interesting to have the amps as part of the package though as in the 9 and 11... This is one speaker I would like to hear ... I have liked VSA speakers since I got to be shocked by the VR4 original. I subsequently heard the VR5, One superb speaker which seems to be lost in the confusion of brands and speaker-of-the moment tendency of High End Audio.

OT
As for the racks ... I am waiting for them to reach $100K, this said with a straight face; there is already one at $50K. One wonders how high pricesl will go in High End Audio. The industry seems to think that higher prices is the way to growth... We'll see

Yes Frantz, rear of the room (behind the listening position facing the front where the main towers are. CIAudio custom built the bass monos to have identical input sensitivities with the KR SX. CIAudio supplies the plate amps for VSA's subs too. The towers can be ordered without the subs but that would kind of defeat the purpose of the whole exercise IMO. I'm pretty sure Dusty would do it for other folks too and that VSA would facilitate it. I was told the procedure isn't complicated at all.

Racks are a funny thing. I have pieces of equipment that can go on anything and the sound won't change, with others the difference can be small but very important. Enough to get that little bit of grunge out that can ruin a listening session. It's one of the reasons I like CMS. They have affordable solid core wood shelves for pieces that don't need the vibration control like power supplies, controllers and heroically built pieces. Most of my gear has tubes in them so those need the filters more. My CDP although fully solid state is slight in build so the transport gets a boost too. My ML and Lightharmonic DACs could go on a sub I think and not be bothered much. Not the case with my EMM. The Accuphase is somewhere in the middle. I console myself in that these are one time purchases and because they are modular can be reconfigured in practically any way. The filters are also non-equipment specific so you can use them with any piece of gear without having to change springs or pads especially for pieces with uneven weight distribution like tube amps that have the OPTs out back or off to one side. No temptation to go for the higher models at all. These will outlive me. 4 years on and not even the slightest hint of oxidation or wear.

:)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Riverside, California, Feb 18, 2013. Von Schweikert Audio Corp is pleased to announce the World Premiere of the UNIVERSE (code-named VR-100XS) Holographic Projection Speaker System in Chicago, March 8-10th 2013, at the Axpona Hi-Fi show at the O’Hare Doubletree Hilton Hotel. Please visit the Othello Room on the mezzanine floor to experience sound that will thrill you.

Jack-Are you going to be there? I will be there and plan on hearing the new VS speakers.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I wish I could Mark. My travel budget's already been allocated for the year as I have to attend my cousin's wedding in Vegas in July. Be my ears bro!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Jack-I promise to report back on what I hear.

Mark

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If they are stellar, don't tell me ok? I passed on this speaker. LOL.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
If they are stellar, don't tell me ok? I passed on this speaker. LOL.

Ok!! This will remain between us here on WBF.... complete privacy ... what have you been drinking? :D

Once in a while even the wisest people make mistake they will regret for a long time ...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've been called smart but so far, never wise, must be because I do make mistakes much too often! :D

The configuration doesn't fit my furniture layout but mainly I passed because I'm really satisfied with the state of my present back end. I'm already getting very good bass distribution because of the combination of the size of my room and it's shape. The prime based ratios have a modal distribution in the mid 200s. Very easy to treat passively. My RP-1 ended up gathering dust. As the saying goes, if it ain't broke....

The 11 Mk2s I have spent many hours with and I know my room can take them. I wouldn't take an 11 Mk1 to a 9 Mk2 but an 11 Mk2 to a 9 Mk2? In a heartbeat. If I do go bigger one day, it would be those.....okay, maybe one sub in the rear just for overkill. Hehehehe.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I will give my honest opinion, but it will be based on show conditions. As I have said before, if you can make a system sound great in a hotel room, you are probably onto something. I think I'm going to take my new Nikon D5100 with me to the show.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
I wish I could Mark. My travel budget's already been allocated for the year as I have to attend my cousin's wedding in Vegas in July. Be my ears bro!

I almost believed you for a moment :D you are as bottomless as bottomless can be :eek:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Dimf, that is the myth of all myths :D I'm just one heck of a bargain hunter. Hehehehehe! I find gear I really believe in and enjoy and distribute them. Great way to pay for a hobby ey? It's a win-win all around :thumbs up:

Mark, I hope things turn out well for the VSA guys. I hope the 50wpc of the SXs will be up to the task in that very large room. Those few extra dBs can mean the difference between bad and great especially if the room is full. They were supposed to use DX2s but those were purchased by Doc Bob along with his own pair of 100s. I know you'll give your honest assessment. I like straight shooters. Saves so much time :)

Purity Audio Design 1

Oct 28, 2010
Endicott, NY
www.purityaudiodesign.com
Hey Jack,
Please let me know first thing when you plan on attending any US audio shows. It would be great to finally meet in person.

I'll obvioously be visiting the VSA room frequently to hear the speakers as well as check up on how our Purity Ultra GT Silver Preamp is doing. Can't wait!

kernelbob

Oct 23, 2011
Hi all,

The VR100's use the virtual point source driver layout of the VR11's in that the tweeter is in the center of the tower, flanked by the new magnesium midrange drivers above and below the tweeter. Four 7" magnesium woofers flank that center section, two on the top and two on the bottom. All the drivers are blazing fast and are in a league of their own in that regard. The VR100's cabinet is a one-piece design as opposed to the three piece stacked VR11 towers. This provides two advantages 1) a more rigid frame to improve imaging & coherence and 2) allowing the drivers to be more closely spaced. The closer spacing improves the integration of the vertical array and allows a closer listening position than the VR11. The cabinet design also allows for very wide dispersion of the tweeter and midranges which when integrated with the new two-way rear HGAIN drivers allow the speakers to "disappear".

Speaking of the XS subwoofers, yes, these are designed to be placed either to the sides of the listening position or the rear. They include new technology (patent pending) that allows the user to dial in the position of the subs relative to the main towers. Once that's done, the combination of the tower's woofers and the pair of XS subs neutralize room nodes to bring the bass into a new level of focus and proper integration with the rest of the spectrum. So, the VR100 towers' extend down to 20 Hz and can play at any volume you desire, but the addition of the XS subs (with their built-in amps) is not simply to extend the bass down to 8 Hz, but do much more.

I've asked Albert about how my highly modified Double Kronzillas (a differentially balanced driver stage with tweaked parts by Bradley Smith) will work with the VR100's. Albert indicated his Kronzilla SX-II stereo amp can drive the 100's to huge volumes, so my amps should sing. I have a pair of monoblock Spectrons that I'll try driving the tower's woofers, but after the last round of upgrades to my Krons, the bass they're generating is amazing in power, tightness, depth, and most importantly-- musicality. I'm anxious to hear how the CI amps perform on the tower woofers at Axpona. By the way, those amps were tweaked to have the same gain as the Kron SX amp just to avoid the necessity of inserting an attenuator to balance the level with that of the Kron.

Getting great sound at these shows is always difficult. Albert and Damon are making every effort to get the most from the system in the short time available for setup. All components will have been thoroughly burned in. With all the last minute rush that accompanies manufacturers' preparation for these shows, providing proper burn-in time is often a casualty. Given that equipment often takes a month before sounding right, it's a wonder that systems can sound good the day after setup as is usually the case in audio shows. In my current system, anytime I move power cords, interconnects, or speaker cables (all MasterBuilt of course), it takes hours for them to settle back in. It takes much longer if they're disconnected, rolled up, and shipped. So having all the system's componets powered down for close to two weeks in transit is a challenge.

I'll be seeing the VR100's in the flesh for the first time at Axpona later this week, so I'll post my impressions after I get back. From the many phone calls and emalis with Albert during the development phase, I expect these will set a new standard for the state of the art. I hope so since I've purchased the first pair along with a pair of the XS subwoofers.

Best regards,
Robert

[by the way Jack, you may be confusing me with Dr. Glen. My "kernelbob" moniker is a reference to computer software]

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Oops! Sorry Bob, I did get you mixed up with Glen.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing