House of Cards on Netflix

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hmmm. I thought it really jumped the shark midway through the 2nd season and lost interest. Kevin Spacey is terrific though...

Agreed- Raymond Tusk was such a lousy character focus. And the zillion ways of "back channelling" was confusing and overdone.

If Robin Wright hadnt saved the day....curious how season 3 shapes up.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Agreed- Raymond Tusk was such a lousy character focus. And the zillion ways of "back channelling" was confusing and overdone.

If Robin Wright hadnt saved the day....curious how season 3 shapes up.

Well we just finished season 3 this evening and even though I thought the series should have ended attend of season two when Frank becomes the POTUS, season 3 gives us a look at Frank's presidency and how he handles a Middle Eastern crisis, deals with the Russian president as well as showing nepotism to his wife Claire by appointing her US Ambassador to the UN in an illegal move. Further we see Francis robbing Peter to pay Paul in getting his America Works program funded, also illegal. Through this all his approvals rating decline and he was not going to run for re election only to renege on that promise. The Solicitor General (Heather Dunbar) runs for the democratic nomination against Frank and Jacky, a female congress woman brought in by Frank. Through all of this Frank hires a writer to do his biography until he inches too close into the marriage of Frank and Clair. Doug, the president's former Chief of Staff returns to position only to complete some very sordid unfinished business.
The story once again is slow moving however the last three episodes of the season were absolutely riveting.

The ending will have you speechless as one of the greatest cliff hangers of all time, more so than "who shot JR"

Definitely television worth seeing.

Kevin Spacey IMO will repeat in winning the Emmy for Best Actor in a Dramatic role

Robin Wright should be nominated as well. She was terrific this season

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
We have two episodes of both "House of Cards" and "Bosch" to go. We are trying to stretch them out this year. Besides Spacey and Wright two actors doing good jobs are Lars Mikkelsen playing the Russian President and Kim Dickens who I have enjoyed ever since Deadwood. The actor Paul Sparks playing his biographer sure has a different role from the goofy Mickey Doyle in Boardwalk Empire.

Steve Williams

We have two episodes of both "House of Cards" and "Bosch" to go. We are trying to stretch them out this year. Besides Spacey and Wright two actors doing good jobs are Lars Mikkelsen playing the Russian President and Kim Dickens who I have enjoyed ever since Deadwood. The actor Paul Sparks playing his biographer sure has a different role from the goofy Mickey Doyle in Boardwalk Empire.
OMG Jim

I couldn't remember in what I had seen Paul Sparks. Good call.

I can't see anyone beating Kevin Spacey for best actor. I also liked that several of season 3 episodes were directed by Robin Wright (who BTW IMO is more attractive as a blonde than a brunette)

I really think the season 3 ending is as good as it gets in television

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Season 3 was much better than the 2nd version. After a slow start, the last few episodes were particularly good. I really enjoyed the rise and fall of Doug Stamper that resonated throughout the season.

However, I really feel The Americans is the best show on TV. Season 3 is just spectacular. If you haven't started Doc, you need to. Easily streamable on Amazon Prime.

Funny you mention Deadwood- after Mad Men (8 episode finale) and Game of Thrones, that will be my summer crash course. Its been the one series I keep on forgetting to watch.

Steve Williams

Season 3 was much better than the 2nd version. After a slow start, the last few episodes were particularly good. I really enjoyed the rise and fall of Doug Stamper that resonated throughout the season.

However, I really feel The Americans is the best show on TV. Season 3 is just spectacular. If you haven't started Doc, you need to. Easily streamable on Amazon Prime.

Funny you mention Deadwood- after Mad Men (8 episode finale) and Game of Thrones, that will be my summer crash course. Its been the one series I keep on forgetting to watch.

Deadwood IMO was probably the best series about the "wild west" I've ever seen. You'll love it. The dialog is intriguing because every word is an expletive

The last 3 episodes of season 3 House Of Cards was simply spectacular with the last scene of season 3 being truly epic

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

The characters from Deadwood keep showing up everywhere. Fifteen of them had some kind of role in Sons of Anarchy for example. There are probably ten who have had roles on Justified.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just ordered the UK Blu-ray Trilogy for $22.63 Canadian ($17.29 USD) on Amazon UK. It's region-free. :)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
well, Season 4 was dropped a week ago. I prefer Season III so far but only 5 episodes in....they keep bringing stuff from multiple seasons ago back into the story which is somewhat frustrating and the Russian "crisis" was not explained very coherently. And quite frankly, they lifted the HOC version of the "fish" episode from the Sopranos years ago.

Steve Williams

I am half way through the current season and all I can say is that once again HOC is superbly written, directed and acted. This is drama at its finest. I love this show and the turn the series took this year

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I am half way through the current season and all I can say is that once again HOC is superbly written, directed and acted. This is drama at its finest. I love this show and the turn the series took this year

Yep, total agreement. Just thru ep 2 -- constant tension; they are killing it. Ellen Burstyn is great.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
We only have 2 or 3 episodes to finish to get through Season 4. Although I am still enjoying the show my interest has gone down each year. The storyline keeps getting more preposterous with each season.

As Steve mentioned Robin Wright has directed many of this seasons episodes and you can see that a nice dose of strong women's perspective has been added. The last episode we watched, (don't worry no spoilers) actually contained a subjectively tender moment.

I am surprised at how good of an actor Paul Sparks is. I didn't expect much of him after the role he played in Boardwalk Empire.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
We finished up House of Cards Season 4 last evening. All-in-all a decent season even though the ending was a bit predictable. I did enjoy how they used many of the characters from the first 3 seasons.

NC Lee

Oct 23, 2014
NC
Ellen Burstyn is superb indeed.

I am up to episode 7. The writing is exceptional. Robin Wright directs several of the episodes

I liked it the first season... until the presidential candidate murders the girl- a Jump the Shark fantasy moment coming way too soon. How do you take it seriously after that? Maybe if it were set in Russia. And the political scheming is just too light weight to be believable. More like a soap opera feel to it, which is disappointing in that it could have been much more. Haven't seen this season yet, but each successive one has been ... less inspiring.

Steve Williams

I just finished watching the 4th season and I have to say that it remains my favorite series on TV. The acting, directing, writing, staging etc, etc remain exceptional. There are so many things happening in season 4 that you have to be glued to the screen and make use of the rewind button. I noticed that Robin Wright is not only an Executive Producer as is Kevin Spacey but she also directed many of the episodes. As always the season ends with a cliff hanger so one expects to see HOC back again next season. Tough to watch an entire season in a few days and have to wait a whole year for season 5. Huge thumbs up on this present season. Frank and Claire Underwood are such foxy, scheming and manipulating people that as a viewer you get caught up in their world of politics that you actually like them and root for their success by whatever means. Suffice it to say however that things this year are closing in on Frank as the affair with Zoe begins to surface. Frank's life is threatened and the marriage once headed for divorce court is now possibly headed back to the White House for a second term. Claire ( with Franks permission) has her dalliance. The democratic batik am convention has an open convention for Vice President and guess who gets to be Franks running mate. Frank deals with Iko (Aka Isis) as well as a hostage crisis which he negotiates (with the Republican nominee ) and the outcome of which. The ending brings the affair with Zoe to light by the local newspaper. Frank plays hardball with the reporter who is going to publish the story all to no avail. Frank for once sees no way out and feels that not only will he lose the election but would likely be prosecuted once he leaves the White House. As always Claire finds the answer as the curtain comes down on this season.

Kevin Spacey has to win the Emmy for HOC once again. Ribin Wright could finally win as Best Actress

This is drama at its finest. So realistic that in some of the scenes you'll swear they were filmed in the White Houde as well as the Presidents private residence. Right down to the cuff links as well as the coffee cups being used with the presidents emblem.

Thumbs up. Not to be missed. Some things go over the edge and in reality are IMHO implausible but if you get beyond this I guaranty this series will draw you in. If you've been a follower you will love the current season.

NC Lee

Oct 23, 2014
NC
I just finished watching the 4th season and I have to say that it remains my favorite series on TV. The acting, directing, writing, staging etc, etc remain exceptional. There are so many things happening in season 4 that you have to be glued to the screen and make use of the rewind button. I noticed that Robin Wright is not only an Executive Producer as is Kevin Spacey but she also directed many of the episodes. As always the season ends with a cliff hanger so one expects to see HOC back again next season. Tough to watch an entire season in a few days and have to wait a whole year for season 5. Huge thumbs up on this present season. Frank and Claire Underwood are such foxy, scheming and manipulating people that as a viewer you get caught up in their world of politics that you actually like them and root for their success by whatever means. Suffice it to say however that things this year are closing in on Frank as the affair with Zoe begins to surface. Frank's life is threatened and the marriage once headed for divorce court is now possibly headed back to the White House for a second term. Claire ( with Franks permission) has her dalliance. The democratic batik am convention has an open convention for Vice President and guess who gets to be Franks running mate. Frank deals with Iko (Aka Isis) as well as a hostage crisis which he negotiates (with the Republican nominee ) and the outcome of which. The ending brings the affair with Zoe to light by the local newspaper. Frank plays hardball with the reporter who is going to publish the story all to no avail. Frank for once sees no way out and feels that not only will he lose the election but would likely be prosecuted once he leaves the White House. As always Claire finds the answer as the curtain comes down on this season.

Kevin Spacey has to win the Emmy for HOC once again. Ribin Wright could finally win as Best Actress

This is drama at its finest. So realistic that in some of the scenes you'll swear they were filmed in the White Houde as well as the Presidents private residence. Right down to the cuff links as well as the coffee cups being used with the presidents emblem.

Thumbs up. Not to be missed. Some things go over the edge and in reality are IMHO implausible but if you get beyond this I guaranty this series will draw you in. If you've been a follower you will love the current season.

I'll watch the new episodes with an open and hopeful mind, thou to date I'd sooner describe it as parody before realism.

Steve Williams

It's parody at the highest level Lee. As a result it is very realistically done. The private asides by Frank to his viewers as he explains something are terrific and almost too many in season 4 but as I said there is so much information that those asides by Frank were very helpful to me. I think Kevin Spacey is one of the best actors around.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing