House of Cards on Netflix

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
We just watched the first episode. Put aside that it is directed by David Fincher and stars Kevin Spacey and a solid cast of talented actors, that it has gotten more press about its break from the traditional model of television series 'content' delivery by making all 13 episodes of the first season available immediately to streaming subscribers than its dramatic merit and totally apart from the fact that it plumbs the depth of the sleaze of the Washington insider's game, when all of us are probably on 'full' from same in real life, it is very entertaining -Good dramatic tension and acting, visually stunning in that Fincher edgy way, I'm gonna give this a thumbs up. Interested to get others' reactions.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I'm liking it but Terry is not. I've heard this on FB as well, the guys like it, the gals not. It's got good sound and visuals.

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
We had a Friday-Sunday Cardathon last weekend - enjoyed the series and it was liked by both men and women. It's a fun, Richard III inspired study of dysfunctional government - in other words pretty IRL.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The original BBC series was pretty good. I think it may have served partially as the inspiration for the "Boss" series with Kelsey Grammer. The Prime Minister's Lady Macbeth-like wife seemed to have some parallel to the frosty mayor's wife in "Boss".

Ian Richardson said he would not reprise the role in the final season unless the character Francis Urquhart got his comeuppance. The final series begins with Francis putting down a dog with a shotgun, and ends with his wife more or less putting him down the same way, a bit of cool irony.

The concept of politician as a pure species of reptilian narcissist and opportunist, and perfect three dimensional chess player, is fun, but it is hard to see that real life is that pure, even in the dimensions of evil.

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We saw the BBC trilogy several years ago. It has now been released on Blu-ray and we're watching that (from Netflix) before checking out the new Netflix production. I like Kevin Spacey's work, but Ian Richardson's F.U. is a very tough act to follow.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
The concept of politician as a pure species of reptilian narcissist and opportunist, and perfect three dimensional chess player, is fun, but it is hard to see that real life is that pure, even in the dimensions of evil.

True, the most unrealistic part is the notion that a politician can be that smart.* I haven't watched the original series, maybe after we blow through the Spacey-Netflix version, we'll watch the original. Spacey is really good, though.
____
* Having recently finished the latest LBJ installment by Caro, Johnson's ability to maneuver in Congress and manipulate the pieces to get it done, and wield power behind the scenes, is remarkable to read about.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I thought I would give a little bump to this thread now that Season 2 has come and gone. I must admit that season one was somewhat difficult to follow through the first few episodes but then this series got really good. A Breaking Bad it isn't but to watch Kevin Spacey in that role is truly refreshing. What a great actor. Season 2 I must say captivated my attention throughout and leading to the season finale where all of Frank and Clare's aspirations come to fruition. Robin Wright is also superb and to see the two of them in this strange marriage with all of their dalliances throughout show this to be a marriage beyond that of traditional definition.

I thought the ending of Season 2 was the icing on the cake and personally I would have ended the mini series right there but season 3 is on it's way due to start either in Feb or May 2015.

This series is terrific acting with a most interesting story of Frances and Clare Underwood

Highly recommended

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Hmmm. I thought it really jumped the shark midway through the 2nd season and lost interest. Kevin Spacey is terrific though...

BobM

Feb 5, 2014
Long Island, NY
Not sure what the plot line will be for season 3 but if it follows the British show there is only one way to go after past deeds start catching up to them.

Steve Williams

Not sure what the plot line will be for season 3 but if it follows the British show there is only one way to go after past deeds start catching up to them.

I never saw the British show but if it were me I would have ended it at the end of Season 2 as Frank And Clare walk hand in hand into the room of loud applause where the people greet the new President and First Lady

Season 3 has to catch up with Frank and Clare

R Johnson

Jul 24, 2010
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The BBC "House of Cards Trilogy" is available on Netflix. Discs and streaming. Highly recommended!

Many us who saw the BBC series years ago think that Kevin Spacey is very good, but that his F.U. pales by comparison to Ian Richardson's.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Hmmm. I thought it really jumped the shark midway through the 2nd season and lost interest. Kevin Spacey is terrific though...

Just curious; where did you think it jumped the shark? I think there's more than one possible answer...

Tim

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Well it had been building after the first couple of episodes and I do get the whole "suspension of disbelief" thing but the menage a trois with the Secret Service agent was so gratuitous and ridiculous....

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I think they just gradually introduced some pulpier tones and that's the latest culmination of these elements. For me, the series has become more fun -- I would have thought I'd have been more bothered by this course a bit away from 'DC reality'.

Steve Williams

I think they just gradually introduced some pulpier tones and that's the latest culmination of these elements. For me, the series has become more fun -- I would have thought I'd have been more bothered by this course a bit away from 'DC reality'.

I agree. For me it was all tongue in cheek. He was obviously bisexual and his wife was attracted to Meacham.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Was wondering why Frank seemed so attached to Meachum after he screwed up (though was setup) -- part was to engender loyalty and that episode revealed the other part of why.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing