Tube Tape Head Pre Amp Almost Complete (Thank Goodness!)

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
:) Hello my reel to reel friends,

The tech who has been working on my tape head pre amp thinks he will have completed it by the end of this month. The reason it has taken months was, early on I let him know I was in no hurry and wanted to give him as much time as he needed to work out the circuit and related details. Now that he is almost done I had at least one concern .... Where should the trim pots be placed?

The tech (Mr. Amina) sent me an email stating he was finalizing the pre amp and had placed the trim pots on the front of the pre amp. He thought that was a mistake. The pre amp will have a separate power supply and will be encased in wood. I suggested he might want to place the trip pots on the top which is metal. Then, it dawned on my that it might be important to be able to adjust the pots while the music is playing which would mean this would be made easier if the trimmers were placed on the front of the pre amp. I thought this would be preferred because some tape-o-philes might want to place the pre amp on a middle shelf in the audio system. Mr. Amina may decide to sell this pre amp on his website to other tape lovers later. Is so, placement of the trim pots may be important.

Most here on this forum have used or been exposed to one of the outstanding tape head pre amps available. Tell me if it's important where the trimmers are placed and if it's important to be able to make adjustments while listening to a tape? Thanks all and I would appreciate all suggestion and your experience.

jazzbo

Last edited:

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
t it might be important to be able to adjust the pots while the music is playing which would mean this would be made easier if the trimmers were placed on the front of the pre amp.

Hey Bob:

In my opinion, one shouldn't be tweaking the HF adjustment pots while the music is playing or for that matter tweaking should happen only when you first introduce your new preamp to your tape transport and while running your know calibration tape.

Unless you plan to swap multiple tape headblocks, switch to mulitple speeds and EQs, you should keep the initial pot settings at calibration alone (until you experience head wear.)

As long as there's a way to compensate for HF from the preamp, you are good to go.

Ki

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Dear Ki,

Thank you so much. Actually, I just got word back from the tech noting he is having problems with poor interaction with the EQ filters due to impedance mismatch. He also notes that the playback head on my Tascam has very low output which caused some hiss problems. So, until he can work out these problems, and I don't know how much time that will take, I will be back in touch when I have better news to report. Ki, I will send you a personal email. Thanks all.

jazzbo

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Bob
It is not easy to design a good all tube preamp for tape head, I still working on my new all tube one, the EQ filter value has to be related to tube circuit design and the cap inside the filter if the value is too large needs stronger signal for normal filtering , then the input stage needs higher gain, and then the noise problem will come to follow too, tape head match also another problem, I think you will only need a gain control ( in our pre recorded tape has a test tone 1K on it for adjust the gain ) and the rest adjustment needs test tape ($) to do the job and I will try no trim pots this time HF and LF in fix type because trim pot will make sound bad, I hope this will give your tech some ideas
tony ma

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I'm curious do you feel a step up transformer in a tape head pre degrades the sound?

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
No even better but it will depend the quality of the transformer and matching, and how to put because it can catch the hum so easy, or you can turn it in 180 degree to find the best position of less hum or in a good pot
tony ma

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Hello all,

Tony Ma thanks for chiming in sir. I just sent Ki a PM explaining in more detail what the excellent tech is experiencing as he works to complete my tape head preamp. Once he began adding circuits for the high freq trimmer pots was when the problems started. He said the sound was not good at all. He said he lost much of the highs and the low end was diminished in a major way. The tech has already designed what he considers an excellent phono tube pre amp and wants to base my tape head pre amp on that design and circuit.

Having had some TV repair training many years ago, I understand that designing and building these kinds of components is not that easy. This is why he has been working at this for about 5 months now. Of course he also is one of the best audio/tape repair experts in the Atlanta Georgia area so has lots of audio repairs to complete. So, he works at my pre amp as he has the time. That's perfectly OK with me. I am not pushing him at all and am willing to give him all the time he needs to develop a great sounding product.

Tony it's great to hear that you also have had problems with developing these kinds of electronic circuits. That tells me it's not so easy as some of us might imagine. I am more impressed that it is a time consuming effort that may or may not turn out right the first or second time. Thanks again.

jazzbo

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing