A Tribute to someone

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
A couple of days ago, i learned that an old a'phile friend had passed away:(. This gentleman was an acquaintance/friend of mine, who many years ago owned his own small audio business. I had bought several pieces of gear from him and had loved how he was able to display and demonstrate the gear that he sold out of his home. The two of us had attended several shows together and our mutual interest in collecting LP's had allowed both of us to benefit from the other's knowledge ( myself probably more).
After a few years of marginal success in the business, my friend called it a day and went on to enjoy the study of psychology and his new found love: his sweetheart from college who had just recently been widowed like he was. At this point, I basically lost touch and so the news of his passing was a sad event for me.
So with that said, I would like to dedicate this thread to all of those a'philes who have passed away and left behind one of us for the better. Let's hear it from those of us who have enjoyed and benefited from an older a'phile's experience and guidance. Your stories....:)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
sorry to hear about your loss, what was his name?

Thank you,Rob. Not really so much a loss to me as I wasn't family, but certainly a loss to all of us who are a'philes. His name was Norm Somach and he used to own Audio Archives back in the day. Norm was the only dealer for CAT in our area and at the time, Hales speakers. Norm also dealt in TG audio, EAD audio, Sound Anchor's, Symphonic Line and some other great gear. He had a great ear and I'm sure many of us will miss him.

Last edited:

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Im trying to place Normans face, im sure i met him at least once. i lived in SD for twenty years and was a charter member (née hanger-oner) of the audio guild around '92 and knew most of the 'characters' if you will.

There was an old guy named "Vernon" around that time that used to work at Stereo Unlimted. He was instrumental in shaping my appreciation for classical music especially. His knowledge of the performing arts was encylopedic esp classical music, opera, theatre and film. I didnt know too much about him other than he hailed from Chicago, was retired and rode the bus to 'Ulimited in the afternoons to sort and catalog their vast vinyl collection. He pooh poohed every one of HP's superdisc pics and would rather play you some mono furtwangler LP he considered far superior. His other passion was politics and he'd rope ususpecting customers into his diatribe of liberal banter whether you wanted to participate or not.

I found out last year from Bruce that Vernon had passed several years ago. He was one of the good guys, i owe much to his knowledge on music and cinema.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Im trying to place Normans face, im sure i met him at least once. i lived in SD for twenty years and was a charter member (née hanger-oner) of the audio guild around '92 and knew most of the 'characters' if you will.

There was an old guy named "Vernon" around that time that used to work at Stereo Unlimted. He was instrumental in shaping my appreciation for classical music especially. His knowledge of the performing arts was encylopedic esp classical music, opera, theatre and film. I didnt know too much about him other than he hailed from Chicago, was retired and rode the bus to 'Ulimited in the afternoons to sort and catalog their vast vinyl collection. He pooh poohed every one of HP's superdisc pics and would rather play you some mono furtwangler LP he considered far superior. His other passion was politics and he'd rope ususpecting customers into his diatribe of liberal banter whether you wanted to participate or not.

I found out last year from Bruce that Vernon had passed several years ago. He was one of the good guys, i owe much to his knowledge on music and cinema.

Norman was a member of the Guild as well. That's how I first met him. The early 90's were the times that Norm was running his dealership with some success. I remember well the first time I heard the Hales speakers that he ran with a Symphonic Line amp...VERY impressive. So much so, that I bought a pair of the Hales System 2 Signature's from him as soon as I sold my Acoustat's. He had a passion for Opera ( which I didn't share with him) and knew good sound when he heard it.

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Thank you,Rob. Not really so much a loss to me as I wasn't family, but certainly a loss to all of us who are a'philes. His name was Norm Somach and he used to own Audio Archives back in the day. Norm was the only dealer for CAT in our area and at the time, Hales speakers. Norm also dealt in TG audio, EAD audio, Sound Anchor's, Symphonic Line and some other great gear. He had a great ear and I'm sure many of us will miss him.

Great gear, indeed! :D

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Davey and Rob,

Perhaps, you had made acquaintances with Bob Litton. He befriended me while in my teens/twenties and I was immersed in esoteric/boutique audio at Audio Directions.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Nice thought Davey. I had a friend who was an older mentor and a fabulous guy who passed away far too young. I still miss him, and think about him.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Davey and Rob,

Perhaps, you had made acquaintances with Bob Litton. He befriended me while in my teens/twenties and I was immersed in esoteric/boutique audio at Audio Directions.

Sam, I remember visiting AD on many occasions. They were nice enough to help a youngster try and get into the hobby. Unlike so many other high-end stores of the time, they actually helped this youngster
in selection and set-up. Wish I could remember the names of those guys.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Sam, I remember visiting AD on many occasions. They were nice enough to help a youngster try and get into the hobby. Unlike so many other high-end stores of the time, they actually helped this youngster
in selection and set-up. Wish I could remember the names of those guys.

I expect the spellings may be incorrect, Davey; however, my somewhat vague recollection...

Out front: Bob Litton and Greg Landry. Later, Steve Ahn and Jeff.
In the back: Chuck Peterson, Brian Lloyd, Mike, and Gabe.

Of course: Ike Eisenson.

I was/am SO lucky :)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Sam, that's a great memory...how many years has it been since AD closed their doors:eek:. I think I bought my first pair of Maggies from Bob Litton...:confused: Great service and great products, too bad they couldn't make it:(

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Sam, that's a great memory...how many years has it been since AD closed their doors:eek:. I think I bought my first pair of Maggies from Bob Litton...:confused: Great service and great products, too bad they couldn't make it:(

Thanks, Davey :b

Audio Directions is where I purchased my first high-end system, which included 15-ohm Rogers LS3/5a's (new), Michaelson & Austin TVA-10 amp (rep's unit), Luxman C-12 pre (new), and Kenwood KD-500 (trade-in)/Grace 707, black (new)/Grado (new) combo. Had I acted swiftly, I would have had a Technics SP-10 MKII, in lieu of the KD-500. I still have everything, but cannot account for the Grado's disposition, haha :D

I was in my teens -- a college student -- and Audio Directions created an installment plan for me to afford the system!

I developed my fascination for Beveridge and Hill Plasmatronics loudspeakers, there. Fantastic array of electronics via Audio Directions from ARC and Spatial Coherence to valve Theta's and Threshold's :cool:

Audio Directions influenced/influences my perception of sound and perspective of the audio industry.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Sam, your point about Beveridge's and Hills brings back some funny memories. It was my second or third visit to AD that they introduced me to the Plasmatronic's. I had NEVER seen such a big speaker and was fascinated by the design. I remember clearly that when they told me the price, my jaw dropped to the floor! It was probably about $5K which seemed completely beyond belief at the time, how times have changed huh!:D

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Sam, your point about Beveridge's and Hills brings back some funny memories. It was my second or third visit to AD that they introduced me to the Plasmatronic's. I had NEVER seen such a big speaker and was fascinated by the design. I remember clearly that when they told me the price, my jaw dropped to the floor! It was probably about $5K which seemed completely beyond belief at the time, how times have changed huh!:D

Davey,

Did you listen to the Hill's?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Sam, while the guys at AD were good to me, they knew that a purchase of this size wasn't in the cards for this young man, so I wasn't afforded a listen:( . OTOH, I did get to listen to a lot of other great gear there. Including a pair of stacked original Quads that were so good that to this day I can remember my jaw dropping.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Oh! I wish you had had a listen! They are my reference >1 kHz acoustic transducer :D
I remember Ike asking me, on different occasions, to take home some gear, audition it, and report.
As I recall, it was a Nikko amp, preamp, and a Denon cassette deck.
I brought my Nakamichi 1000 II cassette deck there, once, to play on their gear. They would switch between their Denon cassette deck(s) and my Nak and ask me to identify decks.
I never misidentified machines :cool:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hi Sam, for some reason, I thought you were going to say that they let you take the Plasmatronics home for an audition..:D
I did manage to hear them at a later time, although I cannot remember where it was now, they were impressive, but I couldn't stop thinking of how much damage we were doing to ourselves breathing in the ozone, LOL.:eek:

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Haha, Davey :D
Remember, I was about 18 at the time!
You know, there certainly exists comment and mystery regarding the Plasmatronics generating ozone...it certainly is a curious distraction for me, but has never been a concern.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Sam, I was about 20 at the time AD closed their doors. Isn't it a shame that today the younger gen doesn't have the same opportunity to listen to great gear presented in a shop like that. If I hadn't stumbled across those guys, I doubt i would be into the hobby today.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
I know what you mean, Davey. I owe them a lot.
We're fortunate San Diego maintains high-end B&M establishments. :cool:
If you haven't had the opportunity, check out Brooks Berdan in L.A. County...felt right at home, there! :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing