6SN7 and SRPP line stage

pico

Feb 17, 2011
Dear Friends,

I have an audio research SP9 preamp, which did a great job for a decade now. After I visited a collegue audiophile making a 1-to-1 comparison with its preamp I discovered that the SP9 lacks something I like. He has a 6SN7 line stage done by a French guy who recently passed away. The sound of that tube has some magic from bottom-to-top frequencies. I've fallen in love with it!

I read that the 6SN7 is a spectacular line stage tube (and I agree based on that single experience). So I made some search about which kind of configuration is best suited for that tube. It seems that there is a controversy about SRPP circuit. There people saying it sounds magic, other say crap... very strange!

Is there anybody out there who listened/owned a 6SN7 SRPP line stage? If yes I would be truly delighted to hear comments.

Best Regards
Pierre

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Pierre
I did rebuild a SP6 into mu stage with 6DJ8 ( mu stage like SRPP) so the SP6 remain power supply an case only for my friend and after done compared to other friend's SP14, after the compare he sold his SP14 too. but in my experience for line stage only is a single tube (triode) with output transformer has much better than any other design, simple is the best but depand the quality of the parts to choose that is up to your budget
tony ma

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing