Audio Magic Nano-Liquid Fuses---mikey likey :)

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
2 weeks ago i listened to a local friend's system for the first time in 2-3 months. he has Evolution Acoustics MM3's like what i had. his system was sounding mighty fine, particularly the bass articulation, tunefullness and overall clarity was a few steps beyond my previous visit, and i asked what he had done. he said he had moved the speakers a bit and also he had installed some new 'super' fuses. i asked him what percentage each change contributed to the improvement and he thought more than half was due to the fuses.

he has an active bass amp in each speaker and needed 2 fuses. i have 2 active bass amps in each bass tower so i needed 4.

http://www.audio-magic.com/Prod-NanoFuse.html

$100 each. they are made to order. get the spec for your exact fuses and a few days later they get shipped.

i know you will be very suprised ;) to hear that i proceeded to order 4 of these bad boys for my own self 10 days ago. i got them today, installed them about an hour ago.

they do not cure cancer, or attract super models either than i can tell.....although the night is young. however; when you have basically done all the other stuff you can do, and you find a bit more of the good stuff for not crazy money, then you just enjoy and don't complain.

no i'm not going to do any BS test sequence, i can hear that there is more and that is good enough for me. the bass is tighter, more precision. more dynamic snap and slam..........alot more. holy guacamole!

as i just typed that i was listening to one of my bass tests, James Taylor's 'Gaia' in streaming dsd from 'Hourglass'. around the 4 minute mark there is a run of drums from right to left far back in the soundstage. very distinct. i've used this for years. it just got 'much much' better in every way. next cut was the beginning of MJ'S 'Billie Jean' in streaming dsd from 'Thriller'......just about knocked me out of my chair. whoa. the impact is simply beyond my previous experience.

there is also more focus and sense of total coherence from top to bottom. a subtle but easy to hear step forward. i can tell the part of my friends system that came from the fuse change.

i'm still always surprised how improving deep bass improves everything. but it's always how it works even though it does not seem logical.

will they do the same for every system? i have no idea. are there better fuses? maybe.

YMMV, 'sticks and stones......' and all that.....

added note; my amps use a very expensive thermal coupler, so no fuses, my preamp is battery powered, so no fuses. i do have custom fuse in my Playback Designs but i cannot remember the brand. i'll likely try another one of these in the PD at some point.

Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
2 weeks ago i listened to a local friend's system for the first time in 2-3 months. he has Evolution Acoustics MM3's like what i had. his system was sounding mighty fine, particularly the bass articulation, tunefullness and overall clarity was a few steps beyond my previous visit, and i asked what he had done. he said he had moved the speakers a bit and also he had installed some new 'super' fuses. i asked him what percentage each change contributed to the improvement and he thought more than half was due to the fuses.

he has an active bass amp in each speaker and needed 2 fuses. i have 2 active bass amps in each bass tower so i needed 4.

http://www.audio-magic.com/Prod-NanoFuse.html

$100 each. they are made to order. get the spec for your exact fuses and a few days later they get shipped.

i know you will be very suprised ;) to hear that i proceeded to order 4 of these bad boys for my own self 10 days ago. i got them today, installed them about an hour ago.

they do not cure cancer, or attract super models either than i can tell.....although the night is young. however; when you have basically done all the other stuff you can do, and you find a bit more of the good stuff for not crazy money, then you just enjoy and don't complain.

no i'm not going to do any BS test sequence, i can hear that there is more and that is good enough for me. the bass is tighter, more precision. more dynamic snap and slam..........alot more. holy guacamole!

as i just typed that i was listening to one of my bass tests, James Taylor's 'Gaia' in streaming dsd from 'Hourglass'. around the 4 minute mark there is a run of drums from right to left far back in the soundstage. very distinct. i've used this for years. it just got 'much much' better in every way. next cut was the beginning of MJ'S 'Billie Jean' in streaming dsd from 'Thriller'......just about knocked me out of my chair. whoa. the impact is simply beyond my previous experience.

there is also more focus and sense of total coherence from top to bottom. a subtle but easy to hear step forward. i can tell the part of my friends system that came from the fuse change.

i'm still always surprised how improving deep bass improves everything. but it's always how it works even though it does not seem logical.

will they do the same for every system? i have no idea. are there better fuses? maybe.

YMMV, 'sticks and stones......' and all that.....

Interesting. Guess I'll have to try them. Are you getting them for other components in your system?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I feel when your are seeking the ultimate in resolution, musicality, there is a cumulative effect by using quality fuses, wires, damping or resonance draining products and perhaps other products I can't think of at the moment. These tweaks on lesser resolving systems may produce less benefit/effect...keeping in mind that everyone's mileage may very, especially for the spec centric crowd...;)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
i'm now listening to a new Lp i just got; Lang Lang's 'The Chopin Album', Sony Lp.

never heard it before the new fuses, but this has got some great energy, clarity, and sparkle. really really life like. especially the toneality of the higher notes are spooky good.

the overtones seem to go on forever.

unpretentous, natural. if you want to escape into a piano try this one out. quiet surfaces and very balanced sound.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I feel when your are seeking the ultimate in resolution, musicality, there is a cumulative effect by using quality fuses, wires, damping or resonance draining products and perhaps other products I can't think of at the moment. These tweaks on lesser resolving systems may produce less benefit/effect...keeping in mind that everyone's mileage may very, especially for the spec centric crowd...;)

i agree that degrees of improvement do vary from system to system from tweaks; and even whether they are just different or positive or even negative. rare is the tweak that is a universal benefit.

that said; i would say that my friends system, which while very well sorted out is quite a bit more modest than mine, maybe had a larger degree of improvement from these fuses than my system. although the ending place for mine is certainly higher, it starts out with the stock fuses at a higher point.

i don't claim these fuses are a universal benefit. but my SWAG is that most systems would benefit.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
i listened late till after midnight, then was up early at 5am and have been listening this morning. the more i play things the more i'm understanding the degree of improvement.

this is really something. my speakers have disappeared to a considerably greater degree. the micro detail and overall sense of naturalness is breathtaking. something somewhere has clicked in and been unleashed. i'm trying to process what has taken things to such a level.

is it only the fuses? maybe the combination of the fuses and the Equi=tech? did speaker and amp breakin hit a new level at the same time i installed the fuses?

i don't know but i'm quite blown away. i suppose i just need to enjoy it and not worry about understanding it. maybe cancer did get cured....and that knock on my door is that supermodel from my dreams.:D

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
i listened late till after midnight, then was up early at 5am and have been listening this morning. the more i play things the more i'm understanding the degree of improvement.

this is really something. my speakers have disappeared to a considerably greater degree. the micro detail and overall sense of naturalness is breathtaking. something somewhere has clicked in and been unleashed. i'm trying to process what has taken things to such a level.

is it only the fuses? maybe the combination of the fuses and the Equi=tech? did speaker and amp breakin hit a new level at the same time i installed the fuses?

i don't know but i'm quite blown away. i suppose i just need to enjoy it and not worry about understanding it. maybe cancer did get cured....and that knock on my door is that supermodel from my dreams.:D

Just for kicks - ask your wife to randomly take the upgraded fuses in or out a few times and see if you can consistently tell what you are listening to. Don't mention the supermodel though.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Just for kicks - ask your wife to randomly take the upgraded fuses in or out a few times and see if you can consistently tell what you are listening to. Don't mention the supermodel though.

i have a few vistors scheduled over the next week, some of which have listened to the system recently. that will give me useful feedback.

my experience with my friends system, and then what i'm hearing, tells me what i need to know. i could have these visitors assist me with a test, but my feeling is that i am reluctant to be messing around with fuses in and out. i know many want proof.....or at least more than my sighted and non scientific impressions. i'll avoid any smart-ass comments about that.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
i have a few vistors scheduled over the next week, some of which have listened to the system recently. that will give me useful feedback.

my experience with my friends system, and then what i'm hearing, tells me what i need to know. i could have these visitors assist me with a test, but my feeling is that i am reluctant to be messing around with fuses in and out. i know many want proof.....or at least more than my sighted and non scientific impressions. i'll avoid any smart-ass comments about that.

Mike

It is only fair to ascertain that they truly make the differences you claim in a such a high caliber system. What I don't fully understand is why you are wiling to experiment from time to time but unwilling to ascertain the veracity or reliability of your results.

You may not look at it this way but your recommendation of a product carries weight for some and many take them seriously. Wouldn't it be just correct to verify somewhat if the product in question is truly all that you think it is? We all have gone enthusiastic about a product only to realize it isn't that good or that its contributions are insignificant or even nonexistent. You already know where I lean on the issue of fuses on the bass tower of a speaker ;)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike

It is only fair to ascertain that they truly make the differences you claim in a such a high caliber system. What I don't fully understand is why you are wiling to experiment from time to time but unwilling to ascertain the veracity or reliability of your results.

You may not look at it this way but your recommendation of a product carries weight for some and many take them seriously. Wouldn't it be just correct to verify somewhat if the product in question is truly all that you think it is? We all have gone enthusiastic about a product only to realize it isn't that good or that its contributions are insignificant or even nonexistent. You already know where I lean on the issue of fuses on the bass tower of a speaker ;)

i'm trying not to get defensive; yet i want to share my experience.

i respect the points you make.

i do fear taking the fuses in and out of the fuse holder multiple times. it's a spring loaded affair where you push the fuse into a holder and then insert and turn the housing to lock it in place. the fuse is a tight fit. i don't want to learn the hard way that either the fuse or the holder has been compromised. i'm probably being over protective but since i have no/zero/not one concern about whether what i'm hearing is valid why then would i risk it?

the question is 'how important is it to me to satisfy others with more objective information?'

most of the recommendations i've shared over the years have not involved A/B's anyway, particularly blind A/B's. that's never been my approach. in fact, short term A/B's have minimal value to me. personally what they tell you is not what i want to know. either it's so obvious as to be not useful, or it's so close it screws up your head for proper listening. i prefer to go thru my normal sequence of 30-50-100 test tracks over a few days or weeks and just listen and let the truth come to me....which is what i am doing in this case. my initial perceptions were modest, but the more i listen the more the whole picture of what is happening reveals itself. no way for any A/B to do that....e v e r.

Jazdoc is likely going to visit sometime soon; he has heard my system lately so has a pretty good handle on how it's been. i'll think about doing some sort of A/B but i'd say it's not likely.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I know it's difficult Mike but Frantz IMO makes a valid point.I have become fascinated by the notion that fuses can change the sound of a system and more so if the direction of the fuse is changed that I am going to try some of these in my system once it is complete.

the question is 'how important is it to me to satisfy others with more objective information?'

well when you make such broad comments about the fuse IMO this creates a buzz that starts things rolling and does generate internet conversation.

What someone should do is measure the signal with both fuses as well as measuring the signal when the fuse is turned in each direction.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Mike

A little check would have helped us all. if you ever hear a subwoofer alone you may notice there is NOTHING in term of "texture" and "grain" and "details" .. it is a mumble. The details, articulation and tune come from up there from the mains ... If the presence of the special fuses in the woofer amps heighten your enjoyment by all means they have a place in you arsenal. My take remains that their removal and replacement by the original would not decrease the quality of this system by any audible measure. All IMHO of course

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Thanks, Mike.

I need to try those fuses. They also make power conditioner made with the same technology (Audio Magic Oracle Liquid Air). I wonder how that sounds.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I think that the new paradigm is that you can't hear these tweaks unless your system is "high resolution" enough.

That means if you can't hear the difference, you have just admitted to having an inferior, low resolution system.

If you CAN hear the difference, then welcome to the A team of preening golden ears and exclusive buyer's club.

No pressure there.

LOL, no "pressure".

Actually, I believe Mike, I believe that fuses can make a sonic difference based on a given systems inherited potential resolution.

Think about it, most of us connect hi-grade power cords to our devices, yet a stock fuse(s) remains in the path. If a quality power cord is considered an improvement, then why not a fuse? Within my system, changing the stock fuses within my amps (12 in total) every few years with new (stock) fuses yields a small sonic benefit.

The problem I have with many of these "type" of products is how they are marketed and consequently hyped by certain media ... if it's all hokum ... well ... I'll pass.

tb1

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I find funny that even people that can accept that power cables and distribution boxes can make a difference in sound, and are less prepared to accept that fuses can make a difference. Fuses are built using a very thin wire and some have appreciable length - some about 1 inch. If you scale them using the cable resistivity law they are equivalent to a very long power cable.

The placement of fuses in devices is also an issue in this problem. Fuses are many times usually placed between the secondary of the transformer and the diodes, where they sustain low average currents, but high peaks. Each type of power transformer has a different transient behavior and a different sonic signature. Perhaps some of them are more sensitive to fuse type than others.

All IMHO. Although I have never tried special fuses, I will do it soon. Yes, I know curiosity killed the cat ...

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I know it's difficult Mike but Frantz IMO makes a valid point.I have become fascinated by the notion that fuses can change the sound of a system and more so if the direction of the fuse is changed that I am going to try some of these in my system once it is complete.

well when you make such broad comments about the fuse IMO this creates a buzz that starts things rolling and does generate internet conversation.

What someone should do is measure the signal with both fuses as well as measuring the signal when the fuse is turned in each direction.

i have no problem with Frantz's request, as i said i respect the desire of some for more objective feedback. i still may do it, even though it has no value for me.

i promise if Frantz ever gets around to visiting me as we've discussed i will be happy to do the A/B on the fuses just for him.;)

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Frantz may have a point I agree.
But then this is an easily created and repeatable test others can do (which is usually required in validating scientific data)... hint Frantz that means you can verify Mike's experience by changing the fuse yourself in your environment :)

Mike, an alternative to swapping the fuse each time (which is not desirable even from a validation purpose).
Why not buy some more identical power cables using standard fuse for comparison, only cost you a small fortune to satisfy a few members :)
Cheers
Orb

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing