Platters

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
What turntable is that platter on?

I'd like to find out more.

Is it the Win?
http://www.oswaldsmillaudio.com/Products/turntables.html

Yes, I am the same. However, be aware that I am not associated with that company, or its website. We parted ways some years ago.

The turntable is erroneously labeled as being discontinued on that website. It is not. Rather, it is no longer available from that vendor.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jack,

Let me make a guess. The acrylic one sounded ever so slightly veiled in comparison, and the delrin/aluminum sandwich sounded considerably more detailed, yet it retained a musical presence without quite as much warmth, correct?

The acrylic had comparatively exaggerated transients and less body. The sandwich was more tonally balanced but sounded a bit rounded off. Something in the middle would have been perfect for me. At the time however, they were the only options. My current table uses copper, a polymer they do not go into any detail about and internal gel damping. This hit the spot for me.

I do agree with you though that platter material alone does not a table make.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Clamp or no clamp is a good question. When I asked my audio dealer about a clamp he didn't recommend it, at least not for my table. He said I could explore it later.
Hello, Snoop65. I would definitely go for a clamp. The end result can be quite pleasing on many different aspects. I will say this though, I have two clamps. One really does nothing [minimal change] while the other works wonders. With regards to this, I would try to find a clamp that clamps down on the spindle, grabbing it up while pushing the outer edges of the label down. Mine came with a set of three different thickness washers to push the innermost part of the LP up, which comes in handy for different warping issues and different thickness LP's.

BTW, nice thread. Been following it since your OP. I have a glass platter on my TT and folks seem to cringe whenever they see it. Perhaps I should add this to one of my audio goals this year.

Tom

Snoop65

Apr 19, 2012
A galaxy far far away
Hello, Snoop65. I would definitely go for a clamp. The end result can be quite pleasing on many different aspects. I will say this though, I have two clamps. One really does nothing [minimal change] while the other works wonders. With regards to this, I would try to find a clamp that clamps down on the spindle, grabbing it up while pushing the outer edges of the label down. Mine came with a set of three different thickness washers to push the innermost part of the LP up, which comes in handy for different warping issues and different thickness LP's.

BTW, nice thread. Been following it since your OP. I have a glass platter on my TT and folks seem to cringe whenever they see it. Perhaps I should add this to one of my audio goals this year.

Tom

Good to hear from you Tom! BTW what clamps are you using? I'm going to start another thread on clamps to get everybody's thoughts and what they are using.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I'll wait to reply on that thread as to keep this one on track. We do need to chat sometime soon. It's been a while. ;)

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing