Led Zeppelin - best CD release to buy IMO

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Following on from another thread.
If anyone is interested I feel the below is the best CD version available, unfortunately since this remastered box set was done the sound quality has sadly become more compressed/suffering from the loudness trend.
While the structure and selection of the 4 cds may annoy some, for me this is probably one of the best CD releases out there in terms of sound quality for Led Zeppelin and covers a wide range of their music.

Anyway if possible worth hunting out this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Led-Zeppelin/...1360669695&sr=8-12&keywords=led+zeppelin+4+cd
Worth noting this is the 4 cd version rather than 2cd.
Date to look for is 1990.
The 2cd box is called Remasters, while the 4cd is untitled.

For reference here is some great info with label cat no and more:
http://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Untitled/master/66072

Below is the one for Remasters but no match for the selection on the 4cd.
http://www.discogs.com/Led-Zeppelin-Remasters/master/5005

Due to the age of these, getting this instead of a false representation (possibly newer release,different compilation,etc) can be challenging, especially when Amazon also has resellers now.

On a side notel anyone able to help me with my Bat Out of Hell query: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...very-specific-Bat-out-of-Hell-remaster-please
Cheers
Orb

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Agreed rockitman but these I mention are far superior to every remaster release since, and why the LP is in demand as well.
The other remasters are just painful and disappointing, so the problem is not the CD as such but the mixing-mastering for remasters after 1990.

Rockitman, you tried these very specific box set?
Quite important because it has been remastered many times and tbh not very well, kind of like me trying to find the original tapes remaster CD for Bat Out of Hell due to its screw-ups.
Why I like using discogs as at the bottom you will see the various catalogue numbers to double check ones own CDs-LPs.
Shaffer, ah your a lucky man because all of these were limited edition and yeah keep good care of that LP because last of the decent remasters for LZ.
Cheers
Orb

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Rockitman, you tried these very specific box set?

Orb

I have not. I have all the standard album records from Classic Records and the RL Zep2 and the Mofi Zep2. Before I went analog again back in 2010, I couldn't bear to listen to the cd's. I may try the vinyl version of this rlease though.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
61-EmpxWkSL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hi Orb...got this one a while ago. 2CD...1997. So you are saying the 4box from 1990 is much better in remastering than this one, simply better selection? Just checking. I am not a diehard LZ fan, so unless you think the mastering on the 4cd is far better, the selection on the 2cd is plenty good for me. thanks!

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
lloyd, can you tell me the catalogue number.
The original Remasters (2cd) box set that you have was 1990.
Knowing the cat number will let me know if it is a reissue or a remaster and not the same.
Here is the catalogue number for the 1990 release for the 2cd box, scroll down for the info after the track listing.
Cheers
Orb

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I'm pretty sure the 4 CD box sounds better than that "remaster" set (at least any of them of which I am aware). IMHO the 4 CD box (and to a lesser extent the 2 CD set that collected the rest of LZ's official output) has the best sound of any LZ on CD.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
lloyd, can you tell me the catalogue number.
The original Remasters (2cd) box set that you have was 1990.
Knowing the cat number will let me know if it is a reissue or a remaster and not the same.
Here is the catalogue number for the 1990 release for the 2cd box, scroll down for the info after the track listing.
Cheers
Orb

Thanks, Orb. Here it is...found it from your link:

Remasters 1990...double slim case...7567-80415-2 KA
Barcode (Printed): 0 7567-80415-2 5
Rights Society: GEMA/BIEM
Label Code: LC 0121
Other (Distribution code France): CA 805
Other (SPARS code): ADD
Barcode (Scanned): 075678041525

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I'm pretty sure the 4 CD box sounds better than that "remaster" set (at least any of them of which I am aware). IMHO the 4 CD box (and to a lesser extent the 2 CD set that collected the rest of LZ's official output) has the best sound of any LZ on CD.

Thanks...out of a score of 100 (100 being perfect, 0 horrible)...where would you rank 4CD vs this Remaster set? Just trying to see if worth going for second hand or 'good enough' for non die hard fan.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
IIRC, the 2 disc set from '90 or '92 has identical mastering to the 4 CD box, just fewer songs. I wouldn't necessarily trust the 2003 import reissue of it, though.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
IIRC, the 2 disc set from '90 or '92 has identical mastering to the 4 CD box, just fewer songs. I wouldn't necessarily trust the 2003 import reissue of it, though.

Hah-haah! Thank you!!! Yes, the year on my CD definitely says 1990...and when i got it used...i read the Amazon reviews which suggested this particularly remastering was quite well done. Perhaps the reviews were correct! For me, done!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hah-haah! Thank you!!! Yes, the year on my CD definitely says 1990...and when i got it used...i read the Amazon reviews which suggested this particularly remastering was quite well done. Perhaps the reviews were correct! For me, done!

Happy CDs to you. Happy CDs to you. Happy CDs to you Lloyd, happy CDs to you.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
What about the 8-CD Box on SHM-CD or the 4-box set. I find them very good then again I can take and enjoy Led Zep on mp3 low bit so ... :b

Orb

Sep 8, 2010

Yep as I thought the 1990s are identical, just you saying 92 wanting me to check your set :)
Both Untitled and Remasters (what you have) come from the same source: Digitally remastered at Sterling Sound, New York, in May 1990

Although personally I think 4CD is better because the selection is amazing as you are missing some monster songs IMO.
But maybe that is for those who are more LZ fans, tough call to pay out for the 4CD otherwise.
For a laugh try and borrow from someone a newer CD, painful to say the least.

Cheers
Orb

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Remember a recent box set from a couple years ago (of course I forget the name of the darn thing), I think it was live. The music was sooo good, but the sound was so compressed. Grrrrr.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I have not. I have all the standard album records from Classic Records and the RL Zep2 and the Mofi Zep2. Before I went analog again back in 2010, I couldn't bear to listen to the cd's. I may try the vinyl version of this rlease though.

I have some of the CR reissues, as well as the newly remastered Mothership box on LP. If there's time in the next few days, I'll compare them to the 1990 box and post some comments. Admittedly, it's been a while since I played it.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I have read a few times from some who have opened them up in various audio editors and commented that the newer ones are more compressed in terms of loudness.
That is definitely one benefit of LP over digital though; handles compressed recordings better than digital.
Classic example is one of the newish Metallica albums that was seriously overcompressed dynamics-loudness and the LP compared to the CD.
Cheers
Orb

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have some of the CR reissues, as well as the newly remastered Mothership box on LP. If there's time in the next few days, I'll compare them to the 1990 box and post some comments. Admittedly, it's been a while since I played it.

Felix ?- I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about that comparison, and specifically what you think of the Mothership LP boxset since I have that.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing