Urgent Advice - JBL TL260

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
Dear ALL
I have just bid for a pair of new JBL TL260(1500 euros). Has someone heard of them, their sound, capabilities, etc..?
Furthermore is it an issue that they are 'OLD' speakers (production date 2006)? Technological wise, manufacturing etc.
Lastly I am thinking of buying KEF R700? How is JBL TL260 compares to KEF R700....

ANY advice will greatly appreciated....

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Personally, the age of a piece of equipment is never an issue for me. The TL260s are as good a speaker today as it was in 2006. It's still the same speaker if of course it has been maintained properly. There are probably innumerable speakers that they beat from the day it left JBL to the present. If you win, I hope it fits your bill. :)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Maybe you should have asked for advice before you bid.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
It is, however, sage advice.

Tom

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Dear MEP

I do not think this is a very constructive answer!

It appears that you bid on a pair of JBL speakers without knowing anything about them and now you are scurrying about trying to see if you made a mistake by bidding on them and thus my original advice to you. You are now left with the hope that you made a good decision or that you will be outbid.

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
It appears that you bid on a pair of JBL speakers without knowing anything about them and now you are scurrying about trying to see if you made a mistake by bidding on them and thus my original advice to you. You are now left with the hope that you made a good decision or that you will be outbid.

Why so much rage my dear mep.... I have read quite a few about JBL TL260 and have had feedback from other forums where they are more keen to give answer to a question rather that critise actions of users...

Hope you enjoy your forum because I haven't and never going to come back... this is to say the least redicolous.....

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Why so much rage my dear mep.... I have read quite a few about JBL TL260 and have had feedback from other forums where they are more keen to give answer to a question rather that critise actions of users...

Hope you enjoy your forum because I haven't and never going to come back... this is to say the least redicolous.....

I find this response humorous and I assume (hopefully correctly) that the originator does not have English as their primary language. That would be the only reason I can think of to explain away the "rage" comment. Obviously I could care less whether he wins the auction on Ebay for the JBL speakers. I don't have any dog in that fight. I'm not trying to sell this guy a pair of speakers and now I'm mad because he chose the JBLs. It doesn't matter one bit to me. It just struck me odd that he would bid on a pair of speakers and then start doing his homework to find out what people think about them after the bid was placed. And thus my original comment...

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

I don't understand the tone either. The membership here usually tries to be helpful. Mark must have gotten off the wrong side of the bed :).

I have not heard the JBL but I suspect my designer may have. He is out today but I will ask him. We have the KEF R700 in our showroom so hopefully I can get you some meaningful comparison data to share.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I don't understand the tone either. The membership here usually tries to be helpful. Mark must have gotten off the wrong side of the bed :).

I have not heard the JBL but I suspect my designer may have. He is out today but I will ask him. We have the KEF R700 in our showroom so hopefully I can get you some meaningful comparison data to share.

Amir-Are you serious about me getting up on the wrong side of the bed or is that a joke? I simply stated (and Tom agreed with me) that if he had questions about how good the JBL speakers are, he should have asked before he placed the bid. That just makes sense to me. Rightly or wrongly, I denoted a sense of panic on his part that he thought maybe he bid on a pair of speakers that might not be that good and now he was chasing opinions after he placed the bid on Ebay. Saying I had a sense of "rage" was outrageous. It's not like I told him I think the speakers suck and he was throwing his money down the drain if he wins the auction. I thought my advice was sound in that if you aren't sure of something, why would you bid on it before you asked around?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir-Are you serious about me getting up on the wrong side of the bed or is that a joke? I simply stated (and Tom agreed with me) that if he had questions about how good the JBL speakers are, he should have asked before he placed the bid.
I was hoping that you had gotten out of the wrong side of the bed.... In a bidding situation time is of essence. If he had done enough research to know that this is a potentially good fit, reserving his place in the line so to say make sense. And then he is getting data so that based on that he could bid up.

Regardless, ours is to be helpful not to judge the guy. He wants information. If you have it, offer it. If you don't, don't. He didn't come here to get a psych exam :).

Rightly or wrongly, I denoted a sense of panic on his part that he thought maybe he bid on a pair of speakers that might not be that good and now he was chasing opinions after he placed the bid on Ebay. Saying I had a sense of "rage" was outrageous. It's not like I told him I think the speakers suck and he was throwing his money down the drain if he wins the auction. I thought my advice was sound in that if you aren't sure of something, why would you bid on it before you asked around?
I would have taken it as a slap in the face as he did that I came to ask for data and I am getting told that I am dressed wrong :). The topic of his thread is the performance of speakers and that is what we should share first as a helpful forum for fellow audiophiles. Once you get to know the man maybe you can give him personal advice. Until then, let's be welcoming to new members and not so critical.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I was hoping that you had gotten out of the wrong side of the bed.... In a bidding situation time is of essence.

If you don't know what the quality of something you are bidding on is, it's better not to bid until you find out and that was my point.

If he had done enough research to know that this is a potentially good fit, reserving his place in the line so to say make sense.

I agree, but he didn't do enough research before he made his bid and that was my point.

And then he is getting data so that based on that he could bid up.

But he did the opposite-he bid first and asked questions later without being sure he should have placed his first bid.

Regardless, ours is to be helpful not to judge the guy. He wants information. If you have it, offer it. If you don't, don't. He didn't come here to get a psych exam :).

I gave him what I thought was some good advice. If you don't know what you are bidding on, ask before you bid. I didn't give him a "psych exam" and it's unfair to me that you said that.

I would have taken it as a slap in the face as he did that I came to ask for data and I am getting told that I am dressed wrong :).

Bogus analogy in my opinion. I certainly didn't tell him he was dressed wrong. I merely gave him what I thought was some good advice not to bid on something until you are sure that you what you are bidding on is something you want.

The topic of his thread is the performance of speakers and that is what we should share first as a helpful forum for fellow audiophiles. Once you get to know the man maybe you can give him personal advice. Until then, let's be welcoming to new members and not so critical.

I didn't realize that giving someone some good advice was being critical. If you think you want to bid on a pair of speakers but you really aren't sure if they are any good, wouldn't you ask around first before you bid? I would and that was my point. No good deed goes unpunished. Thanks Amir.

Last edited:

L00k_C

Dec 12, 2012
I was hoping that you had gotten out of the wrong side of the bed.... In a bidding situation time is of essence. If he had done enough research to know that this is a potentially good fit, reserving his place in the line so to say make sense. And then he is getting data so that based on that he could bid up.
;)

Just to make it clear MEP, first of all YES my native language is not ENGLISH, however I know very well what 'RAGE' means.

As very well said by AMIRM, I am willing and was always comfortable in paying the amount I bidded at the auction. However, I wanted to know if they worthed more than what I've envisaged they worthed. For your information MEP, I have been looking and reading about these speakers OVER A YEAR now, but they were NOT AVAILABLE ANYWHERE. Only now. I have also been advised from other forums as well, THANK GOD!, and from users who actually knew from first hand about them. It is nice to know as much as possible for something you are going to buy (particularly from more experienced users/professionals, owners), especially when you can NOT AUDITION them, as is my case.

A wise advice I was ALWAYS given from other forums from the start is: 'you must listen to them first, if you can, as close to the actual environment/sources they are going to be placed/used'. NOW THAT IS A SOUND ADVICE!

I have unsuscribed from this forum the same day you were 'cocky' to reply on my post... but it seems from the answers of the other forum members, that it may be worth staying here.. and one 'cocky' person must not ruin a forum... and YES I would have PREFFERED if you were saying the speakers suck... as you would have been answering THE QUESTION!!!

So here I am MEP....:cool: THANKS GUYS:D

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
I didn't realize that giving someone some good advice was being critical.

It doesn't count as 'good advice' when its after the event - in that case making the mistake and picking oneself up from that is the best teacher. Nor does it count as 'good advice' when its not the advice being sought, as was the case here.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Where's the good deed? Where's the punishment? Victim card being played here for sure :)

Where I was brought up 'good deeds' were helping old ladies to cross over the road. In this case the old lady was hoping to cross over the road and mep comes along and says 'Ah but if you were born on the other side of the road, you'd not be having this problem would you?' and calls that 'good advice'.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing