TONEAudio Reviews the Explorer DAC/Headphone amp...

Tonepub

Jun 3, 2011
TONEAudio has a full review of Meridian Audio's new Explorer DAC and headphone amplifier. Plays 24/192 files, and is built in Cambridge at the Meridian factory. Product was announced a few hours ago, but we managed to snag an advance sample. $299 at your Meridian dealer.

http://www.tonepublications.com/macro/meridian-audios-explorer/

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
TONEAudio has a full review of Meridian Audio's new Explorer DAC and headphone amplifier. Plays 24/192 files, and is built in Cambridge at the Meridian factory. Product was announced a few hours ago, but we managed to snag an advance sample. $299 at your Meridian dealer.

http://www.tonepublications.com/macro/meridian-audios-explorer/

Hey Jeff:

What a surprise. This looks like a serious portable DAC. It looks like it has
stereo RCA jacks/stereo headphone output. Way cool.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
This launch is interesting. Firstly as evidence of market bifurcation - Meridian has up until now been chasing higher and higher end customers. Now they're doing an AMR (with their iFi) - but without creating a distinctly separate brand. To me this keeping of the same brand on both upper and lower branches seems odd. Are they going to keep the same dealer margins with both?

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This launch is interesting. Firstly as evidence of market bifurcation - Meridian has up until now been chasing higher and higher end customers. Now they're doing an AMR (with their iFi) - but without creating a distinctly separate brand. To me this keeping of the same brand on both upper and lower branches seems odd. Are they going to keep the same dealer margins with both?

Interesting comments. Perhaps they are waking up to the fact that the market isn't growing, that selling their ware to an aging constituent is not the way to growth. As a segue to your second point. I would like to know what would be the distribution channel for the product? Regular dealers? Online Stores like Amazon?

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
A year or so ago I was lurking a bit on the 'Meridian Unplugged' forum and noting that what I'd call the 'middle users' were complaining about getting short shrift. This mirrors what's going on in society - the middle classes are being hollowed out. The top branch of the market is most certainly growing in revenue terms, but simply jacking up the prices without delivering any more innovation (coz the top end customers are becoming less and less interested in quality) must become disheartening for the design engineers. Doing some budget products like this one could be just the thing to stop them leaving.

From what it says above the products are from the same dealers as ever before. I wonder how they'll get significant volumes going that route though as this DAC has much broader appeal than the expensive stuff. If it goes online direct then existing dealers will get pissed off very quickly - I doubt Meridian has the clout to control the selling price with Amazon. Hence my puzzlement.

Here's a diagram to illustrate what bifurcation looks like to a chaos systems theorist: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:LogisticMap_BifurcationDiagram.png

Last edited:

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
A year or so ago I was lurking a bit on the 'Meridian Unplugged' forum and noting that what I'd call the 'middle users' were complaining about getting short shrift. This mirrors what's going on in society - the middle classes are being hollowed out. The top branch of the market is most certainly growing in revenue terms, but simply jacking up the prices without delivering any more innovation (coz the top end customers are becoming less and less interested in quality) must become disheartening for the design engineers. Doing some budget products like this one could be just the thing to stop them leaving.

From what it says above the products are from the same dealers as ever before. I wonder how they'll get significant volumes going that route though as this DAC has much broader appeal than the expensive stuff. If it goes online direct then existing dealers will get pissed off very quickly - I doubt Meridian has the clout to control the selling price with Amazon. Hence my puzzlement.

Here's a diagram to illustrate what bifurcation looks like to a chaos systems theorist: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:LogisticMap_BifurcationDiagram.png

Interesting points.

I do believe however Meridian does make a bunch of stuff at the "middle" price point.

Also, this product should not be too much of a surprise, after all, Meridian has always been at the forefront
of digital.

As far as how they are going to sell it..well the AQ Dragonfly is doing just fine being sold all over the place.
Dealers are doing just fine selling Soolos and other good margin Merdian products.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Not Meridian's first effort at targeting a wider market. They actually co-branded with Ferrari for a table top box. The F80 I believe it was.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
astell kern ak100 does 24/192 and fits in your pocket - love mine

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing