Why do we love vinyl more than digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
PCM as a format doesn't - coz my DAC delivers sufficient low level info to satisfy me. Most people's digital implementations suck at low level - I agree. Its coz they're adding signal-dependent noise which masks this stuff.

Yep. Not lacking on my digital or I'd go back to vinyl.

Why don't you do the experiment Allen Sides has and take a live digital feed and listen to it at 0 and -20. Tell us what you hear. It ain't pretty.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
For the majority of people, I agree. But they're not seeing it as bad themselves or they'd be upgrading to my DAC :)

And you have to wonder what reference those people had before they settled for 16/44. There is no doubt in my mind that for the majority of people, 16/44 is the best recorded sound they ever heard.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Ah but they did not 'settle for 16/44', that's just you blowing smoke. 16/44 is a format, not reality.

Nope, it's me telling the truth as I see it. See, you are tied exclusively to digital and you don't hear analog on a regular basis in your system. Your only reference is digital. Some of us have multiple sources and hear both regularly so we are always comparing them back and forth. If you only have 16/44.1, you have "settled," you just don't know it.

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Nope, it's me telling the truth as I see it.

Well if you're seeing formats as reality then sure. That's a well-known perceptual distortion called 'mistaking the map for the territory'.

See, you are tied exclusively to digital and you don't hear analog on a regular basis in your system.

'Tied' is a perceptual distortion here. Its true that I don't see the need for analog in my system and therefore don't hear it at all.

Your only reference is digital. Some of us have multiple sources and hear both regularly so we are always comparing them back and forth.

And as far as I'm aware you're not using the right (i.e. most transparent) DACs. But do correct me if my impression is in error please.

If you only have 16/44.1, you have "settled," you just don't know it.

More smoke :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Why don't you do the experiment Allen Sides has and take a live digital feed and listen to it at 0 and -20. Tell us what you hear. It ain't pretty.

Sorry not that I know of. Allen told me about it when we talked at CES. BTW, Allen knows his stuff :)

http://www.oceanwayrecording.com/about-allen.php

and a little history of United/Western studios:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Western_Recorders

It is hard to do better as the very definition of anecdotal evidence.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It is hard to do better as the very definition of anecdotal evidence.

It's hard to better as the very definition of closed mindedness.

And I'll take Allen's word over practically anyone's here. There's very few in the industry who have more hands on experience with digital recording than Allen. And let's see: have you designed any microphones or speakers lately Frantz-not to mention winning two Grammy awards? No Frantz you're out of your league.

http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/Sterling/ST6050

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2009/10/22/high-resolution-reference-monitors/

http://www.oceanwayrecording.com/news.php

I think the man knows WTF he's talking about.

Last edited:

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I dumped my LPs coz I had faith in the PCM format - from my technical understanding of it. Technically it smokes vinyl, and is way more cost-effective.

they said that around '83-'84 and a deaf person could tell LPs were superior, ok I exaggerate. so you're unsentimental for the LP format and love for the music is secondary. the primary importance here are measurements and not how its sounds (asumming you were alive and owned Lps in the '70s and 80s). im not baiting you, im just trying to understand why you cant enjoy both or did i missinterpret something?

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I never sold my records off. I don't take anything for granted with this hobby and I certainly didn't assume that when digital came out it was going to smoke analog. With few exceptions, I think the majority of people who sold off their LPs didn't have a good turntable/arm/cartridge/phono section to begin with. Frantz is pretty much the only exception to that on this forum that I'm aware of. And even Frantz has jumped back in again due to acquiring an LP collection from his family.

A little more complicated. I lost my record collections twice. I had ripped part of my CD colection and the hard Drive was saved in the second event. I had no choice but building back from scratch. Fortunately I got part of my dad's record collection and some records from another person. So I have some records and I do listen to them when I have the time.
I am however no longer of the opinion that analog is inherently superior to digital anymore especially after having been fooled and have fooled people with needle drops IMO a test of how digital can be "transparent" when the bias triggers are removed.
I don't see myself returning to analog as the main source of my musical enjoyment. I am vested in digital and look forward to its getting better. I am seriously trying to get what the NOS DACs are about . Opus 111 is one of the few people pushing this. I, for one am not entirely convinced about the lack of dynamics of Oversampling DAC. I have been listening to a Berkeley DAC and the darn thing is exemplary musical. it could be true that a NOS is better I simply don't know until I investigate. Now do I get the Berkeley DAC or listen to other DACs, I would like to listen to a NOS DAC in the Berkeley price range or lower (waiting on your design Opus :) ) .. I have heard great things about the Phazure when it works but it seems to be quite a buggy product, I am not sure I want to get into that just yet

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
they said that around '83-'84 and a deaf person could tell LPs were superior, ok I exaggerate. so you're unsentimental for the LP format and love for the music is secondary.

Unsentimental yes but I'm unsure how you come to the conclusion that my love for the music is secondary? Do please explain some more?

the primary importance here are measurements and not how its sounds (asumming you were alive and owned Lps in the '70s and 80s). im not baiting you, im just trying to understand why you cant enjoy both or did i missinterpret something?

No, I'm not a measurements guy - just go over to one of my threads in the Frugal department and see for yourself. Sure measurements are helpful in the design process, but no, unimportant for how things sound. Ears are our guide to what measurements are relevant, and in the main the current measurements of digital are largely irrelevant. I can enjoy vinyl, have enjoyed vinyl, just at present find digital is more fun because its so much better bang-for-the-buck.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

Myles you suggested an experience that you did not conduct and for which you have no reference and I am supposed to take the mention of it in the name of open mindedness as substantiation? Really:rolleyes:

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China

And I'll take Allen's word over practically anyone's here.

That's guru-fication, not science. You have a PhD so would your supervisor have taught you such a thing? Or do you apply different standards to audio than you did in your research?

There's very few in the industry who have more hands on experience with digital recording than Allen. And let's see: have you designed any microphones or speakers lately Frantz-not to mention winning two Grammy awards? No Frantz you're out of your league.

Willy-wanging.

I think the man knows WTF he's talking about.

So why has he not documented his experiment for us to replicate? Why all the personality deflections coming in thick and fast? Not science as I was taught it.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

One more thing, please don't re-hash the part about people who espouse digital love music less than those who love analog. This is a lame argument ... actually it is worse: it is bovine manure..

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
...With few exceptions, I think the majority of people who sold off their LPs didn't have a good turntable/arm/cartridge/phono section to begin with. Frantz is pretty much the only exception to that on this forum that I'm aware of.

Ummm, aren't you forgetting the founder/owner of this forum?? And I can assure you there are others; I've sold some LP's, but still have the vast majority, I just don't listen to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing