Why do we love vinyl more than digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Frantz-I make up my mind on where different formats stack up relative to each other based on hearing them and not looking at spec sheets and theoretical superiority. The proof is always in the pudding as they say. We don't hear spec sheets and theory, but we do hear how music sounds when we reproduce it over our gear in our rooms. I couldn't possibly explain why I think DSD sounds better than PCM based on specifications or theory. I can only relate what I hear and I'm not the only one who feels the same way. I own way more CDs and high-rez files (PCM) than I do DSD, but I certainly know which one I would prefer to listen to. Specifications and theory don't move me, but listening to music does move me.

I don't dispute your preference mep. I do not believe it's unanimous.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
This is hilarious - before discovering it, I hadn't quite realized the enormity of the threat Fremer must perceive from digital :D

I don't think he views it as a threat at all. If MF didn't have Analog Corner, he could be reviewing any category of component and doing it as well or better than nearly anyone else out there (IMO). Read the latest Stereophile and he describes how he uses 24/96 digital needledrops to demonstrate the sound of different analog front ends (kind of makes you wonder, if hires digital can record these anaolg front ends so well how bad can it be??). And he preferentially uses hires digital as his personal demo stuff at shows (in addition to some LP's).

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I don't think he views it as a threat at all. If MF didn't have Analog Corner, he could be reviewing any category of component and doing it as well or better than nearly anyone else out there (IMO). Read the latest Stereophile and he describes how he uses 24/96 digital needledrops to demonstrate the sound of different analog front ends (kind of makes you wonder, if hires digital can record these anaolg front ends so well how bad can it be??). And he preferentially uses hires digital as his personal demo stuff at shows (in addition to some LP's).

That, to me says a lot about the "transparency" of digital if it is able to capture differences between analog gears at the highest level... MF himself claimed that without prior knowledge it would be very difficult (I can't remember the exact wording but the word "impossible" might have been uttered !?! :) ) to know which is which.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I don't dispute your preference mep. I do not believe it's unanimous.

Frantz-Is it not unanimous with people who only own PCM or not unanimous with people who own both PCM and DSD and hear them both regularly?

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
I don't think he views it as a threat at all.

We all have our own different takes. The irony of my reading that comment is that I do have a very clear memory of the first time I downloaded digital from HDTracks, sitting at my small desk with my Microsoft 'ergonomic' keyboard. Not that I download any more as HDTracks sucks too badly for me now. For me digital does have to be something physical as mere bits on a disk are too easily lost so if Fremer's real point was that digital is too ephemeral then sure. But that's totally beside the point of how it sounds.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Frantz-Is it not unanimous with people who only own PCM or not unanimous with people who own both PCM and DSD and hear them both regularly?

I will remove myself from those who hears all three formats with regularity. I own a few SACD but my Oppo would not qualify as SOTA DSD decoder. OTOH the Berkely DAC PCM can use that epithet ... but it seems that at least one illustrious analog flag bearer, MF seems to have made his choice differently his digital of choice has been PCM 24/96, I could be wrong or he could change his tune JV-like

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The two DACs Bruce is obtaining (or has recently obtained) I don't consider SOTA either.

That's for sure. I've listened to them for a couple of days and will be soon putting them on A-gon.....

Tell us.... give me a brand/model of SOTA DAC that I can buy that will pass muster with you so I can hear the holy grail....... The two I just got ain't cutting it if that's what NOS is supposed to be cracked up to be.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
and yet there are still different opinions! Barry Diament says 24/192 PCM sounds best..

What DSD converters has Barry Diament had in his system? Or is it just annectodal listening at some show??

Greg Stidsen of NAD/PSB (TAS "Back Page" March 2013 - for mep) says 24/96 PCM is better than analog...

Which Studer or SOTA TT does Greg own??

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Tell us.... give me a brand/model of SOTA DAC that I can buy that will pass muster with you so I can hear the holy grail....... The two I just got ain't cutting it if that's what NOS is supposed to be cracked up to be.

You asked this question before, I gave you a few suggestions. But there's no NOS DAC currently on the market which I consider to approach SOTA because none of them both filter out the image freqs and flatten the FR droop. Best wait until I've finished my Ozone and I'll be sure to arrange it sent to you for a listen.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Good evening, gentlemen. This thread has evolved into what the WBF is not about. Please allow me to remind you all of something.

Our goal is to have a friendly place where everyone shares ideas and information without the level of bickering and angst that other forums tend to create.

The OP asked a simple question. 17 pages later? We have not met this goal. So with that said, thread closed. Please note that this is not meant or directed at anybody in particular.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing