Consensus Forming on the Sound of DSD?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think that just maybe I'm starting to see a consensus form on the sound of DSD by those who listen to both analog and digital. The same words keep popping up with regards to how DSD sounds more like analog than sounding like digital. There is a level of ease and naturalness with DSD that escapes all other digital formats that I have listened to and is more reminiscent of how great analog sounds. *Normal* hi-rez digital up to 24/192 just doesn't sound like DSD-DSD in another league in my opinion. I can and have listened to DSD for hours and enjoyed every minute of it.

And having said all of that, putting on an LP of the quality of Miles Davis Four & More (MFSL) right after listening to DSD clearly shows there is more work to be done.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Maybe here at this forum, but around the Web I haven't found such a consensus. It's not uncommon to read posts from LP supporters preferring 24/96 (or better) PCM to DSD.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Maybe here at this forum, but around the Web I haven't found such a consensus. It's not uncommon to read posts from LP supporters preferring 24/96 (or better) PCM to DSD.

Read the latest TAS.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Read the latest TAS.

Really not something that will steer me anywhere except to the opposite of their conclusions/recommendations. I've posted on a number of occasions that over the last year Harley and Valin have become completely disconnected from reality (for me). Remember, Valin has had 4 new "reference" speakers over the last 18 months, each "dramatically" better than the last. Harley vetted and published the totally bizarre series of articles on Computer Audio just about a year ago, and in a series of emails with me refused to repudiate its findings and recommendations (and I'll bet you don't agree with many of them either).

Strangely enough, I don't have the same problems with the rest of the staff.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

if you had traveled to the Newport Show last June or the RMAF in October there was a panel discussion focused on dsd and dsd downloads (also about dsd sounding better than other digital) at both shows with lots of dsd desire discussed way beyond this forum. sure; there are doubters too, but doubting dsd is not the direction things are going among people i know over a wide spectrom of audiophiles.

by definition; this topic is highly subjective. i'm not here to tell anyone what to like. but the dsd wave is moving forward whether one likes it or not.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I was at RAMF in October, even at the WBF dinner. I personally have no problem with DSD, I like it and I like hires PCM, and fervently hope that both continue to co-exist as consumer formats.

Oh, I forgot: prior to Valin's "revelation" about open-reel tape I heard him say (and I have recounted this here before) to Nick Doshi at RAMF that LP sounded better than reel. He had a bizarre rational for that (something about sympathetic vibrations of the stylus in the groove?)
I'm sorry, it's just not possible to take him seriously!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I was at RAMF in October, even at the WBF dinner. I personally have no problem with DSD, I like it and I like hires PCM, and fervently hope that both continue to co-exist as consumer formats.

Oh, I forgot: prior to Valin's "revelation" about open-reel tape I heard him say (and I have recounted this here before) to Nick Doshi at RAMF that LP sounded better than reel. He had a bizarre rational for that (something about sympathetic vibrations of the stylus in the groove?)
I'm sorry, it's just not possible to take him seriously!

i would not look to Valin for any RTR-vinyl ultimate truth in any case; OTOH he is entitled to his opinion. based on the RTR he describes he has heard (both frequency and quality) i'm not surprised by his perspectives. like any reviewer, their perspective is based on their context.

i'm not forgiving him the rational you mention, which sounds like nonsense.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
But why believe him on anything, when he is so inconsistent? Even more so if his experience is limited (a fact he is probably unwilling to acknowledge)?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
But why believe him on anything, when he is so inconsistent? Even more so if his experience is limited (a fact he is probably unwilling to acknowledge)?

I like his perceptions, but don't buy into his conclusions. It's like he's trying to walk a tightrope he had erected for himself.

when Valin describes what he hears from particular gear i generally either agree (assuming i'm familiar with the gear) or respect it could be one valid take on that gear. but then he goes off on tangents and reaches conclusions which many times i don't agree with or feel there could be agendas. he seems to take things too far.

i'm not judging him personally as who knows what his thinking might actually be. i'm simply relating what it looks like to me.

Last edited:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I think I understand what you mean, at least to a certain extent. He has described the sound of some systems in the same way as I would describe them, yet as you say his conclusions then seem to veer off course.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013

Of course some of the Vinyl LPs out there are made from DSD tapes.... :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing