$8,400 Power Cord, $8,995 Power Distributor, I'm a flat earther with this stuff, BUT

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
How the heck can a super power strip and power cord make my soundstage 20% wider. Why does my system have way more inner detail... it's a power strip for gods sake. The HB Cable Design Marble and the Stage III cable Kraken power cord have shaken my belief system. The system sounds as if I threw the 5.1 switch. And get this, I've only hooked the preamp to them. Is $20,000 single malt this good? Am I nuts?

I was (very) hesitant to review these products and I thought before I pass them to a team member for formal review I'd give them a try.

I shot the video of the HB in October and I thought, while it's a cool product for those who believe in this stuff... and I'm sure it will make a difference (like sideways), I never imagined it would elevate the system's speed and bass, and warmth, there's just more there. How can this be?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Peter. While I can not comment on the sound, I can say that the build quality is impressive. Extremely nice looking product IMO.

Tom

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It sounds like you have a noisy system, and this strip/cord combination reduces noise dramatically. I got comparable results with the MIT Z-Strips, though subjectively less than 20%.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
It reminds me of a 5 carat flawless, blue white diamond ring.

It doesn't actually do anything, but it looks pretty and may make you feel good.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
It reminds me of a 5 carat flawless, blue white diamond ring.

It doesn't actually do anything, but it looks pretty and may make you feel good.

Gary,
I was in total agreement with you (audio jewelry) until I plugged it in. In fact, I just called the importer to utter my amazements (I don't normally do this). He doesn't understand why it works as well as it does. It's only wire, it's totally passive, but it can pass 40 amps.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Peter,

I'm one of the more humble experimenters here but I have to say I am thrilled with my PS8 conditioner from Shunyata. It is making a far bigger improvement in sound quality than I anticipated. It's just wonderful. Looks great too!

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
I am almost fully Krakenised , all except for the Zyklops on my DAC . Freakishly good cord . Very interested to know how much of the Marble's potency, is due to the Kraken . Does it turbo-charge as much with other cords ?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
It amazes me in 2013 people still ask these questions. Cables, and power, matters. However, I suspect another vendor's products provide equal, or better, results, but at a lower cost.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
In your video you missed the 5.1 switch inside the power strip ;-).

Power is crucial...I am starting to think it maybe more (or as) important as signal cables...

taters

Jun 6, 2012
Peter,

I'm one of the more humble experimenters here but I have to say I am thrilled with my PS8 conditioner from Shunyata. It is making a far bigger improvement in sound quality than I anticipated. It's just wonderful. Looks great too!

I thought the Ps-8 was a distribution network?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I thought the Ps-8 was a distribution network?

I was wondering the same. It is my understanding it is a high grade powers trip, with no filtering. You would think the best it can do is not degrade SQ, improvement is a bit of a headscratcher. Thenagain, if you used something that degraded sound before, I guess it can be rationalized.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
If that helped you that much then try a ps audio P10. And hear and see the results with video and audio .

I did not believe it either until I did my own A/B testing. And for video you do not to go back to A.
It had about 1000 times less output resistance than the wall power . And in multi wave mode it increases the total capacity of PSU,s weather switching or standard. And having the low output imp it eliminates the noise going back to line from noisy PSU,s. They have a 30 day trial I think.
Al

If you think that is cool, you should try a Plasmatron on all of your digital devices:

http://www.vhaudio.com/plasmatron.html

I use one of these on all of my digital and it makes a huge difference. Here is why: this thing regulates the AC voltage. It drops the voltage a tiny bit in order to maintain a steady AC output voltage. Uses Thyratron tubes. Everyone that has used this at shows buys one. It's that good. It will transform your digital.

I don't sell them, but Chris V. is a buddy. They are spendy BTW, around $3K.

Steve N.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Steve I have no doubt if you say it
I beleave it. I own your offramp 5 all the options
It greatly improves almost every DAC
I have tried it with. I t even improved a lampi
And the ps audio DAC as well. I will try it soon.
Al rainbow

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Hi Steve

The thyratrons I am familiar with on surface search were quite large. Course that was in the late 60's.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
These Thyratrons are about 6-7 inches tall. Puts out 250W from 4 outlets,

Steve N.
Don't remember the rating but just about twice as large. Same with those in an old Univac 7tk tape drive. Two large purple glowing Thy's, one per hub/reel.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing