Tidal preamps

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com
Presencio inside the linedeck chassis
View attachment 8148

8 volume control boards with 256 relay and direct resistor access in the signal way without cascades, digitally controlled with fully analog switching and logarithmic resolution. Only 1 high precision resistor in signalpath for level adjustment, controlled by an electronically and mechanically isolated motordriven ALPS potentiometer-A/D-converter-unit.

The same volume control is also used inside the cheaper Prisma and Preos.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Have you heard this, Wizard? I am pretty sure this is the one i heard. Any thoughts?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Presencio inside the linedeck chassis
View attachment 8148

8 volume control boards with 256 relay and direct resistor access in the signal way without cascades, digitally controlled with fully analog switching and logarithmic resolution. Only 1 high precision resistor in signalpath for level adjustment, controlled by an electronically and mechanically isolated motordriven ALPS potentiometer-A/D-converter-unit.

The same volume control is also used inside the cheaper Prisma.

Holly molly!...any pics from the front panel? :)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I'm not a fan of RCA or XLR connectors being mounted on a circuit board on a high-end product-especially a preamp.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes I've heard it - the sound is very good, one of the best preamps on the market.

Nice avatar! ;) Not surprising! As for Tidal, i have heard the Tidal Prescenio and i believe their Impact monos...3 sets driving the Tidal Sunray and T1 tower sub pair. Stahl-Tek Vekian digital, Argento Master Ref cables and the full Tripoint Troy and Spartan setup. More resolving than any system i have ever heard...that said, i am convinced it was a touch on the bright side. Unlike some bright systems it was not stiff or lifeless...the level of detail and extremely good ability to convey contrapuntal themes and interplay between instruments revealed all manner of different little musical themes going on which was quite cool. It's just that the brightness dial was turned up 3 notches too far such that certain albums i have been playing for years made the crowd clapping too bright and unnatural which i have heard found perfectly natural in systems voiced more to my liking.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I've also heard T1 with Impact monos and Presencio - because of the silver crossover and ceramic drivers it can sound a little bright and dry.
Also the Impact monos can sound a little uninvolving - the new Impulse stereo and monos sounds better.

I've heard all their preamps connected to other brand amps - they sounds balanced to me, nothing stands out.

Thanks, Wizard. Good to know. Sounds sensible to me based on my auditions...

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
They are more prone to damage than chassis mounted connectors.

I agree with Mark and most use chassis mounted connections. OK you may give up a couple of inches of wire but past experiences of other companies has shown that repeated plugging/unplugging eventually leads to stress on the PC board and down the road, cracked boards.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I agree with Mark and most use chassis mounted connections. OK you may give up a couple of inches of wire but past experiences of other companies has shown that repeated plugging/unplugging eventually leads to stress on the PC board and down the road, cracked boards.

Especially if your significant other keeps stepping on your ICs when she is cleaning!;)

audioforever

Jan 11, 2013
I've also heard T1 with Impact monos and Presencio - because of the silver crossover and ceramic drivers it can sound a little bright and dry.
Also the Impact monos can sound a little uninvolving - the new Impulse stereo and monos sounds better.

I've heard all their preamps connected to other brand amps - they sounds balanced to me, nothing stands out.

Where did you hear these ams/loudspeakers wizard? At the manufacturer's?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Totally agree on the first statements...have heard the full Tidal Sunray set up with dual-tower subs and full Impact monos, etc. Exceptional resolution...exceptional...the kind of resolution that put XLF, Metronome Kalista, D'Agostino monos, ARC Ref and full TA Opus cables in its place by a good 20%+ subjectively. But still would not have taken it home.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing